Jewish Music for the Season of Redemption

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Dear friends,

      Today is the first day the month of Nissan, the beginning of
      Springtime, and according to our tradition just as it was the month
      in which the Exodus occurred so will it be the month of the Future
      Redemption. This day has special significance for me in particular
      as it is my first wedding anniversary, and as such I would like to
      dedicate this week's email to my wonderful wife, Chaya. A special
      thanks all of you who have been celebrating with us for the past
      year, but I'm especially grateful to my soulmate for completing me
      and transforming my life. Chaya continuously inspires me to achieve
      my potential, and she puts up with all my crzainess -- like staying
      up til all hours to send out this email every week! And it's no
      accident that this comes a week after my mother's yahrtzeit, as I
      spoke at my wedding one year ago tonight, just like our forefather
      Yitzchak upon marrying Rivka was comforted after the death of his
      mother Sarah.

      Tonight, Thursday, April 3 at 8pm Soulfarm - Blue Fringe -
      Aspaklaria at Schottenstein Cultural Center, Stern College, 34th
      street between 2nd and 3rd Aves. For more info, call 800-800-7759

      Also April 3 at 8:30 pm Jason Caplan is finishing up his
      series in Music and Halacha (Jewish tradition) at 711 W190th St. #2H
      in Washington Heights. The class will start up again after Pesach
      in another location in the city; stay tuned. Also, check out
      Jason's new music on the web

      Also April 3 at 9pm Pharaohs Daughter @VIBE, 101 7th Ave,
      Sheridan Sq. Near 4th St. Cost: $7
      http://www.pharaohsdaughter.com !NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable
      here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      April 3-13 back by popular demand for 2 more weeks of encore
      performances of the new Jewish musical play "Destinations," from the
      creators of "Twist of Faith" and "Second Chances" with original
      songs by Avi Kunstler on guitar, at Theater for the New City, 155
      First Avenue (9th and 10th St.) Showtimes: Thurs 8PM; Saturdays,
      8:30 PM; Sundays, 3PM and 7PM. Tickets: $10. For more info or to
      schedule a performance in your area call Matt Okin at 201-567-6664.
      To reserve call 212-254-1109

      Friday, April 4 Chaim Dovid will be spending Shabbos in Kew
      Gardens Hills: leading Kabbalas Shabbas (6:10pm Mincha) at Beis
      Medrash L'Talmud - Lander College, 150th and 75th Rd. Then Saturday
      afternoon at 6:10pm, he will be singing at a special Shalosh Seudos
      at the home of Charlie and Dena Harary 138-08 Jewel Ave Second
      Floor, 138th St. (Space is limited at the Harary's, so RSVP) and if
      you want to sponsor this, please email Urischneid@...

      Saturday, April 5 at 9:30pm Congregation Aish Kodesh
      presents Chaim Dovid in concert, and words of inspiration from Rav
      Weinberger, at the Young Israel of Lawrence Cedarhurst, corner of
      Spruce Street and Broadway in Lawrence. Also featuring Ruby Harris,
      living legend of Jewish Music, King of the Blues and Klezmer Violin,
      and rising star Shlomo Katz from the Happy Minyan in LA. Admission:
      $15; $10 for students. For more info call the shul at 516-374-8596
      or see http://aishkodesh.org !PLEASE NOTE: there will only be
      separate seating at this show!

      Also April 5 8-10pm Aliza Hava is playing to open for NY
      independent film festival at Village East Cinema, 181 2nd AVe & 12
      St. Concert is free; $10 admission for the film. For more info,
      email firemusicfaerie@... !NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable
      here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Also April 5 at 9:30 pm Soulfarm playing at Yeshiva of
      Flatbush

      Also April 5 at 7:30 is the opening film of The Third Annual
      Brooklyn Jewish Film Festival, followed by an opening night party
      with the unique Jewish music of Asefa, delicious parve and dairy
      food, Brooklyn Beer, and kosher wine, at the Brooklyn Academy of
      Music. Film: $10. Concert: $15 http://www.brjff.org and
      http://www.jatm.org

      Also Apr 5 8:30PM-11:30PM Oneg Shemesh performs at the
      Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. Cost: $15; $10 Students. More info,
      call the shul at 212-580-2391 and see http://onegshemesh.com and see
      my review of his incredible debut album at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/message/57

      Also April 5 at 9pm Bsamim performs for a melava malka at
      Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. This is in conjunction with
      Yachad, an organization devoted to integrating handicapped
      individuals of all ages into the Jewish community. Please join them
      for a night of music, dancing, food & fun. Also, come for Friday
      Night Dinner or Shabbos Lunch for $25 per meal or $40 for both. For
      more info call 212-749-5150 or see http://www.bsamim.com and
      http://www.ou.org/ncsy/njcd/yachad.html

      Monday, April 7 8:15pm I'm teaching a class for beginners on
      Practical Prayer and Synagogue Skills, including the structure of
      the prayers, different tunes used, changes in the liturgy from
      weekdays to holiday, etc. This week's class will focus on the
      shema, its meaning, importance, and deeper significance. At the Old
      Broadway Synagogue, 15 Old Broadway, just east of Broadway btwn 125
      & 126 St. $100 for all Monday night sessions through June. Financial
      assistance available. To reserve or for more info, email
      p.radensky@... or call 212-662-9767

      Monday, April 7 at 8pm the JT Cafe Monday Night Music Series
      continues with Ruby Harris, living legend of Jewish Music, King of
      the Blues and Klezmer Violin. Also featuring many special guests,
      including Avi Kuntsler, Shmuel Bodenheimer of Bsamim, Yitzchak
      Halevi, Don Slovin and Spencer Chandler. I might be joining them
      for a final set if it's still going on after my class. Located at
      the Judaica Treasures bookstore, 226 W72 St. Dinner served starting
      at 7pm; music begins at 8. Cost: $10 music cover charge and a $15
      dinner minimum (+ tax and tip). For reservations, call 212-724-2424
      and see http://rubyharrismusic.com

      Wednesday, April 9 at 8pm, David Broza, "The Israeli-Born
      Troubadour of Urban Folk-Rock," in concert at Columbia University's
      Lerner Hall, Broadway &W115th St. Tickets start at $20. RSVP by
      April 2: call 212-854-1907 or see
      http://www.hillel.columbia.edu/broza/rsvp.cfm

      Also Apr 9 at 9pm Dreads and kippot collide as JDub Records
      teams up with Awake Zion in a documentary film project about reggae
      culture and its connection to Judaism: "The Unity Sessions: A
      Collision of Music, Roots and Culture" at Opaline, 85 Avenue A, bet.
      5th & 6th St. Cost: $15. The Unity Sessions brings together Jewish
      and Jamaican reggae musicians on one stage, as a testament to the
      unifying power of music and the arts, and as a symbol of the
      potential within our cultures and beyond them: Mattissiyahu, a
      Hasidic reggae vocalist, Super Dane, a Jamaican conscious dancehall
      performer, both from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and King Django, a
      pioneer of ska-klezmer fusion. Culminates in an open session
      between vocalists and other musicians from Caribbean, Jewish and
      various other ethnic backgrounds. Sponsored by Change Records:
      http://www.changerecords.com

      Friday, April 11 at 6:30pm Gateways presents a Friday night
      dinner for singles, couples and families, at Park East Synagogue,
      163 E67 St. Featuring a musical interactive Shabbat service with
      the world famous Cantor Ari Klein, and guest speaker Malcolm
      Hoenlein on "American Jewry and Israel: New Challenges, New
      Opportunities." Cost: $36 (children half price). RSVP: 800-722-
      3191 and see http://www.gatewaysonline.com

      Have a great Shabbos!