Jewish Music for my mother's yahrtzeit

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2003

      Today marks the yahrtzeit (anniversary of death) of my
      mother, Barbara (Blima Feiga bas Avraham) of blessed memory, who
      left this world 17 years ago today after a three-year battle with
      bone-cancer. I would like to dedicate this week's newsletter, as
      well as my davening tonight and shalesheudos tomorrow, to her memory
      and the impact she had on my life. Everything that I have achieved,
      and everyone else's life that I have affected over the years, is due
      to the love and nurturing that she selflessly gave, even in the last
      years while struggling with her illness. She infused in me a deep
      love of music, and I was inspired to start playing guitar a few
      years ago after coming across some of her old songsheets. In the
      merit of all the unity that comes out of this musiclist (going out
      to over 2000 people from all different backgrounds) and all the
      music that you all enjoy as a result, may her soul be elevated in
      the next world, and may her radiant smile continue to shine down on

      Tonight, Friday, March 28 at 6:05pm I will be leading the
      Kabbalat Shabbat service with lots of singing at Congregation Ramath
      Orah, 550 W110 St. Davening there is very beautiful because
      hundreds of people are all singing together! For more information
      about the great events at this synagogue, see
      http://www.ramathorah.org or call 212-222-2470

      Saturday, March 29 6pm-7:30 I am sponsoring shalesheudos
      (3rd Shabbat meal) with Isralight, at the home of Asher Toporovsky
      and Michael Schlomowitsch, 840 West End Avenue #4B at 101 St. Join
      us for good food, words of Torah, and of course some incredible
      singing (it's always the highest just when Shabbos is ending). Then
      we'll bring Shabbos out with a musical havdallah service. No
      reservations necessary -- just come on by!! For more info, or to
      volunteer to help, email me or call 212-595-5531 and leave a message.

      Also Mar 29 at 8:30pm Chazzan Moshe Tessone performing
      Hazzanut & Zemirot in the Egyptian cantorial style, accompanied by
      Classical Arabic Music, as part of the Sephardic Experience Weekend
      at the Spanish & Portuguese Synagogue, 2 W70 St (at Central Park
      West). For more info call 212-294-8350 or see

      Also Mar 29 Yitzchak Halevi's new acoustic project XIL --
      Ultimate Jam Band performing at Noah's Ark Deli in Teaneck, NJ: 493
      Cedar Lane. Dinner served starting at 8:30 PM and show starts at
      9:30 PM. Reserve at 201-692-1200 x61 or email music@....
      Cost: $10 cover charge and $12 minimum food purchase (+tax and 20%
      tip). For bookings call 201-567-6664 or email BlackBoxEnter@...

      Also Mar 29 at 8pm David Krakauer presents "Solomon &
      Socalled's HipHopKhasene" fusing Jewish rhythms, modes and melodies
      with urban beats and breaks. At the Center for Jewish History, 15
      W16 St. Cost: $25. More info, call 212-294-8301 or see
      http://www.cjh.org and http://www.digitallisallstars.com

      Sunday, March 30, 10am-4pm (catered lunch included) is
      Jewish Women's Education Day, with Jewish women from all over the
      world in a day of learning, cooking, music and fun! In an intense
      yeshiva-like atmosphere, probe the depth and breadth of Jewish
      wisdom--from the mystical to the mundane--with notable Jewish
      scholars. At Chabad West Side, 101 W92nd St corner of Columbus
      Ave. Cost: $25 in advance; $36 at the door. RSVP: Yedida Wolfe at
      212-712-2956, and see flyer and program at

      Monday, March 31 8:15pm-9:45pm, I'm teaching a class for
      beginners on Practical Prayer and Synagogue Skills, including the
      structure of the prayers, different tunes used, changes in the
      liturgy from weekdays to holiday, etc. At the Old Broadway
      Synagogue, 15 Old Broadway, just east of Broadway btwn 125 & 126 St.
      $100 per person for seven Monday night sessions. Financial
      assistance is available. To reserve or for more info, email
      p.radensky@... or call 212-662-9767

      Also March 31 at 8pm the JT Cafe Monday Night Music Series
      continues with blues pianist Phillip Namanworth, Yitzchak Halevi
      band, and Ruby Harris, living legend of Jewish Music, King of the
      Blues and Klezmer Violin. Located at the Judaica Treasures
      bookstore, 226 W72 St. (between Broadway and West End Avenue).
      Dinner served starting at 7pm; music begins at 8. Cost: $10 music
      cover charge and a $15 dinner minimum (+ tax and tip). For
      reservations, call 212-724-2424 and see http://rubyharrismusic.com

      Also March 31 at 10:30pm, the Moshav Band will be playing at
      The Bitter End, 147 Bleeker St (btwn Sullivan & Thompson). Come
      join for some positive music, including new material that will knock
      your socks off. Age: 18+, cost: $10. For more info, call the club
      at 212-673-7030 and see http://www.moshavband.com

      Wednesday, April 2 at 8PM Chava Alberstein, the "Queen of
      the Israeli Folk Music Scene," in Concert at the 92nd St. Y, 1395
      Lexington Ave. For tickets call 212-415-5500 and see
      http://www.92y.org !NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult
      your local Rabbinic authority!

      Thursday, April 3-13 back by popular demand for 2 more weeks
      of encore performances of the new Jewish musical
      play "Destinations," from the creators of "Twist of Faith"
      and "Second Chances" with original songs by Avi Kunstler on guitar,
      at Theater for the New City, 155 First Avenue (9th and 10th St.)
      Showtimes: Thurs 8PM; Saturdays, 8:30 PM; Sundays, 3PM and 7PM.
      Tickets: $10. For more info or to schedule a performance in your
      area call Matt Okin at 201-567-6664. To reserve call 212-254-1109

      Saturday, April 5 at 9:30pm Congregation Aish Kodesh
      presents Chaim Dovid in concert, and words of inspiration from Rav
      Weinberger, at the Young Israel of Lawrence Cedarhurst, corner of
      Spruce Street and Broadway. Also featuring Ruby Harris, living
      legend of Jewish Music, King of the Blues and Klezmer Violin, and
      rising star Shlomo Katz from the Happy Minyan in LA. Admission:
      $15; $10 for students. For more info call the shul at 516-374-8596
      or see http://aishkodesh.org !PLEASE NOTE: there will only be
      separate seating at this show!

      Also Apr 5 8:30PM-11:30PM Oneg Shemesh performs at the
      Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. Cost: $15; $10 Students. More info,
      call the shul at 212-580-2391 and see http://onegshemesh.com and see
      my review of his incredible debut album at

      Also April 5 at 9pm Bsamim performs for a melava malka at
      Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. This is in conjunction with
      Yachad, an organization devoted to integrating handicapped
      individuals of all ages into the Jewish community. Please join them
      for a night of music, dancing, food & fun. For more info call 212-
      749-5150 or see http://www.bsamim.com and

      Monday, April 7 at 8pm the JT Cafe Monday Night Music Series
      continues with Ruby Harris and Avi Kuntsler. I might be joining
      them for a few songs at the end. See above (Mar 31) for info.

      Wednesday, April 9 at 8pm, David Broza, "The Israeli-Born
      Troubadour of Urban Folk-Rock," in concert at Columbia University's
      Lerner Hall, Broadway &W115th St. Tickets start at $20. RSVP by
      April 2: call 212-854-1907 or see

      Also Apr 9 at 9pm Dreads and kippot collide as JDub Records
      teams up with Awake Zion in a documentary film project about reggae
      culture and its connection to Judaism: "The Unity Sessions: A
      Collision of Music, Roots and Culture" at Opaline, 85 Avenue A, bet.
      5th & 6th St. Cost: $15. The Unity Sessions brings together Jewish
      and Jamaican reggae musicians on one stage, as a testament to the
      unifying power of music and the arts, and as a symbol of the
      potential within our cultures and beyond them: Mattissiyahu, a
      Hasidic reggae vocalist, Super Dane, a Jamaican conscious dancehall
      performer, both from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and King Django, a
      pioneer of ska-klezmer fusion. Culminates in an open session
      between vocalists and other musicians from Caribbean, Jewish and
      various other ethnic backgrounds. Sponsored by Change Records:

      Friday, April 11 at 6:30pm Gateways presents a Friday night
      dinner for singles, couples and families, at Park East Synagogue,
      163 E67 St. Featuring a musical interactive Shabbat service with
      the world famous Cantor Ari Klein, and guest speaker Malcolm
      Hoenlein on "American Jewry and Israel: New Challenges, New
      Opportunities." Cost: $36 (children half price). RSVP: 800-722-
      3191 and see http://www.gatewaysonline.com

      Have a great Shabbos!