Remez concert with Chaim David

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000

      I am pleased to welcome Chaim David Saracik to New York for a
      few weeks, on tour from Israel to share with us his music and Torah
      from the Holy Land. Last time he was here back in June, I organized
      a concert for him on the Upper West Side with my band Remez as the
      opening act, and we had over 200 people, and I put it together in
      five days! This time, I'm hoping for 300, so you have two weeks to
      tell all your friends. The concert will be Wednesday night November
      15, 7:30 PM, at Congreagation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. The complete
      Remez band will be opening for Chaim David: with me on guitar,
      percussion and vocals; Seth Nadel on electric guitar, mandolin and
      vocals; Jennifer Seligman on violin; Yitz Aaronson on bass; and David
      Schweke on percussion. For more info on the rest of Chaim David's NY
      concerts, stay tuned to my list. Meanwhile, there's lots of other
      Jewish Music going on in the New York area:

      Tonight, Thursday November 2, Andy Statman is playing his
      weekly series at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, with Music of the
      Mystics 8-11 PM. Last week's show was cancelled due to an ankle
      injury, but this week he should be back again, this time with a
      quintet! The shul is located at 53 Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and
      can be reached at 212-242-6425. Admission is $10 (student discounts
      available) which includes free refreshments.

      Also tonight Thursday, 11/2 at 10:30 PM, the band [sic] is
      playing at Desmond's Tavern, 433 Park Ave South (between 29 and 30
      St). This group is made up of some friends of mine: Yossi Fridman,
      Jon Taub, and Jason Horowitz, and they've got a pretty cool sound,
      though not traditionally Jewish. Call the bar for more info at 212-
      725-9864 or send email to iamsic@... !!!IMPORTANT NOTE: they are
      being joined by a female vocalist, so the issue of Kol Isha may be
      applicable here!!!

      Also tonight Thursday, 11/2 at 10 PM, David Broza introduces
      Yonathan Geffen, legendary Israeli poet and lyricist, performing his
      poetry and music at Makor (admission $15). The event is co-Sponsored
      with Kesher. Makor, is located on 35 W 67 St (off Central Park West)
      and can be reached at www.makor.org and 212-601-1000.

      Tomorrow night, Friday Novmeber 3 Daven & Dinner with the
      Carlebach Chassidim of Brooklyn at the Young Israel of Midwood, 1694
      Ocean Ave. Special guests: Rabbi Tzvi Mandel, Spiritual Leader,
      K'hal B'nai Yisroel, and Heshy Brodye with his booming voice leading
      davening and zemiros to all the great Carlebach classics. Dinner
      should be reserved in advance and costs $20, but davening is free and
      you can just show up (begins at 4:40 with Kaballas Shabbos). For
      more info on their events, check out
      http://www.carlbachofbrooklyn.org/calendar.html

      Saturday, Novmeber 4 at 1PM, Cantor David Greenbaum is
      leading a special Shabbos Zemiros Lunch at the Old Broadway
      Synagogue, just north of 125 St. I will also be there to lend my
      voice and teach a few songs. The meal is open to all and costs $18
      per person -- call the shul at 212-662-9767 to reserve.

      Saturday night, 11/4, I was originally planning a kumsitz
      downtown, but I relocated it to Riverdale for my friend Elisheva
      Silver's birthday. So we'll have the one downtown in a few weeks
      instead, and this one will be at 3671 Hudson Manor Terrace, apt #1-L,
      starting at 7:45 PM. All are welcome to attend and bring musical
      instruments. For directions to her place, call Elisheva at 718-543-
      1735.

      Also Saturday night 11/4, if you don't want to come to my
      kumsitz, there is a Safam concert in Rockaway, New Jersey at
      the White Meadow Temple at 8PM. One of the most successful Jewish
      groups in America today, Safam has been playing to packed audiences
      for three decades, and their music is always current. For more
      information on the show, call 973-586-3625 or check out
      http://www.safam.com/safam/

      Sunday Novmeber 5, Deborah Strauss and Jeff Warschauer are
      playing their mix of Klezmer music and Yiddish song at the Tonic
      Klezmer Brunch on the Lower East Side. The bar is located above the
      former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk Street (between Rivington and
      Delancey) and can be reached at 212-358-7503 or www.tonic107.com for
      more info. There are two sets, at 1:30 PM and 3PM, and the cost is
      $10 each or $15 for both. IMPORTANT NOTE: the food is not strictly
      kosher, and the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable here!!!

      Thursday November 9 at 7PM, Chaim David is playing a concert
      at Mayanot High School, the only NJ appearance for this trip.
      Tickets ar $15, and more info is available on his website
      http://www.room304.com/cd/

      Friday November 10 the Carlebach Shul on 79 St (between West
      End and Riverside) is having its annual Carlebach yahrzeit shabbaton,
      marking the death of Rav Shlomo Carlebach six years ago this week.
      All Shabbos meals will be served at the shul, and a melave malka will
      take place Saturday night. Sunday there will be a memorial tribute
      and Neshama Carlebach (one of Shlomo's daughters) will give a concert
      at the West Side Institutional Synagogue on W 76 St. The
      commemoration will conclude with a siyum Monday night. For detailed
      information call the shul at 212-580-2391 or check out the webpage
      http://carlebachshul.org/UpSchedule/TripToIsrael.htm

      Saturday night, November 11 B'samim is playing at
      Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W 95 St. They're one of the newest
      groups in modern Jewish music, and definitely worth checking out.
      For more info, call 212-316-1456 or check out the website
      http://www.bsamim.com

      Sunday Novmeber 12, The Murrays are playing at the Tonic
      Klezmer Brunch on the Lower East Side. I don't anything about this
      group except that they are described by the Klezmer Brunch website
      as, "An irreverant, wild, and loving take on klezmer." The bar is
      located above the former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk Street (between
      Rivington and Delancey) and can be reached at 212-358-7503 or
      www.tonic107.com for more info. There are two sets, at 1:30 PM and
      3PM, and the cost is $10 each or $15 for both. IMPORTANT NOTE: the
      food is not strictly kosher at the bar!!!

      Sunday, 11/12 at 11PM, the band [sic] is playing at CB's
      Gallery, 313 Bowery. This is a special one-of-a-kind completely
      acousitc show. In case anyone was wondering, the name of the band is
      a literary reference, actually a Latin word meaning "thus,"
      indicating that a quote is verbatim though it may be incorrect. For
      more info, call 212-725-9864 or send email to iamsic@...

      Monday night 11/13 and Tuesday 11/14 is the sixth yahrtzeit
      of Rav Shlomo Carlebach, and there will be a siyum and light meal at
      the Carlebach Shul on W79 St (see above for info on the rest of the
      weekend).

      Wednesday November 15, my band Remez and Chaim David in
      concert at OZ. Hope to see you all there!!! Email me if you want to
      help publicize the show (just reply to this message)

      The crescent moon you see in the sky tonight means we are now
      just beginning Cheshvan, the second month of the Hebrew calendar. It
      is commonly called MarCheshvan ("bitter" Cheshvan) since it lacks all
      the festive days celebrated in the previous month. But we can make
      up for that by tapping into some of the spirituality we acquired
      during Tishrei and carrying it with us through our daily lives.
      Attending Jewish Music evetns can be a great reminder of our special
      role as the Chosen People. So check my calendar website for the most
      up-to-date info http://www.egroups.com/calendar/NYCJewishMusic
      (you'll need your egroups password but if you forgot it you can
      always get another one sent to you by email). I don't mind spending
      the time updating it, but only if I know people are using this
      feature, so please let me know. Hope you enjoy the music!