Jewish Music for Tu B'shvat and Shabbat Shira

  • Gili Houpt <houpt@ymail.yu.edu>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2003

      Tonight, Friday, Jan 17, is Tu B'Shvat, Jewish New Year for
      the trees. The weekend is also known as Shabbat Shira, (Sabbath of
      Song) since the Saturday morning Torah portion, Beshalach, contains
      the famous song of the sea, the joyous refrain sung by the Jewish
      people after they were miraculously saved by the splitting of the
      sea.

      In honour of the day there will be a special Carlebach
      davening with lots of singing at 4:40pm at The Jewish Center, 131
      W86 St led by their Chazzan Benny Rogosnitzky. They started this on
      a monthly basis and have 200 people at every one of these Friday
      nights. For more info on the shul see http://www.jcny.org

      Also tonight, Jan 17 The Carlebach Shul is having a special
      Friday night dinner with a Tu B'Shvat seder: festive songs,
      storytelling, and fruit platters. Cost: $30 in advance -- call the
      shul at 212-580-2391

      Also Jan 17 Jonathan Zimet will be holding his Tu B'Shvat
      Seder at his apartment 214 W92 St, using his own set of materials
      drawn from many sources. It addresses the original kabbalistic
      seder (4 cups, 4 types of fruit, 7 Israel produce), other liturgy,
      readings, discussions (environment, personalities, midrashin, etc.)
      and songs. Home davening around 5:15; followed by fairly full
      evening of seder and meal. Reply to jdz@... asap.

      Saturday, January 18, my band Remez will be performing,
      along with other musicians, at Noah's Ark deli restaurant in
      Teaneck, NJ, at 493 Cedar Lane. Dinner served from 8pm. Hosted by
      comedian Reuven Russel, concert begins 9pm with Avi Kunstler,
      Richard Borah, Yitchak Halevi, and then my band will come on around
      10:30. I'm pleased to welcome legendary fiddler Ruby Harris,
      founding member of Diaspora Yeshiva Band, who will be joining us on
      stage. $15 cover; $12 minimum food order. Reservations:
      201.692.1200 x61 or music@... or see the flyer at

      Also Jan 18 there will be a shabbaton at the Stanton St.
      Shul in the Lower East Side. All are welcome. The Shabbat meal
      will take place in the shul with a special Tu Bshvat seder. There
      will also be a special Shabbat Shira Melava Malka with Yerachmiel
      Ziegler from the Chamsa boys/Gideon Sword. Donations of $5 are
      welcome, and people are encouraged to bring food, fruits, sleeping
      bags and musical instruments. Most of all bring spirit! RSVP:
      Aaron at 914-419-6717

      Also Jan 18 at 8pm Greg Wall will be performing an evening
      of Jewish Jazz/World music at the Center for the Arts at the
      MetroWest JCC, 760 Northfield Avenue, in West Orange, NJ. Greg will
      be playing with his group, Hasidic New Wave, performing together
      with master drummers Yakar Rhythms from Senegal. Come hear how two
      distinct musical approaches steeped in tradition come together to
      create sounds that can span generations. For more info call 973-736-
      3200 and see http://gregwallmusic.com

      Also Jan 18 at 8:30pm it's Torah & Music for the Feminine
      Soul (for women only) with renowned recording artist Tertza Singer
      and Rebbetzin Chana Bracha Siegelbaum for a unique musical
      performance interspersed with Torah teachings. Cost: $10. At
      Congregation Etz Chaim of Kew Gardens Hills, 147-19 73rd Ave.

      Also Jan 18 at 8:30pm Tu B'Shvat Melave Malka at the Hebrew
      Institue of Riverdale. Join with Uri & Dahlia Topolosky for a holy
      night of singing and words of Torah under candlelight, as we
      continue to celebrate and wish Happy New Year to our beautiful
      trees! BYOF & BYOI (Bring your own fruit and instruments!) For
      more info: uritop@...

      Also Jan 18 at 8:15pm, concert at Young Israel of The West
      Side, 210 West 91st b/w Amsterdam & Broadway, with C Lanzbom & Noah
      Solomon of Soulfarm, and Bsamim. Tickets available at the door
      first come first served: $12. To reserve in advance call: 212-787-
      7513. Refreshments available. More info: see http://www.bsamim.com
      and http://www.yiws.shuls.net

      Also Jan 18 11pm-2am The Late Night Bluegrass Jam with
      Citigrass at The Knitting Factory, 74 Leonard St. This urban
      bluegrass band is 80% Jewish, including Noah Solomon (of the band
      Soulfarm) on vocals and mandolin. Admission: free. More info: call
      the club at 212-219-3006 or see http://www.citigrass.com

      Sunday, January 19, 8:30 pm, The Jason Caplan Quartet
      celebrating Tu B'Shevat at The Triad Theatre, 158 W72 St, between
      Broadway and Amsterdam. Check out the highly original Jewish
      bluegrass, funk, and rock of the JCQ's spiritual, improvisational
      sound, and be part of this unique experience. They're breakn'
      out
      the banjo and the four-part harmony, and special guest Yosef Goldman
      on percussion. The show is dedicated to the life and work of Dr.
      Martin Luther King, Jr. $5 cover, 2 drink minimum. More info, call
      the club at 212-362-2590 or see http://www.jcqonline.com

      Also Jan 19 at 8pm the Klezmer Conservatory Band performing
      at the Forest Hills Jewish Center, 106-06 Queens Blvd. Part of
      their Jewish music concert series: Winter Festival 2003. Tickets:
      $30, $45. For more info, call 718-263-7000 !PLEASE NOTE: The issue
      of Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic
      authority!

      Monday, January 20, 7PM "Where Mind & Heart Meet: A special
      evening of music and learning for Jewish women of all backgrounds"
      at The Carlebach Shul, 305 West End Avenue at W79 St. Featuring
      Rebbetzin Chana Bracha Siegelbaum of Midreshet B'erot Bat Ayin and
      musician Tirtza Singer. $10 suggested donation. Last year's event
      with Chana Bracha was a powerful spiritual experience. For more
      information contact Jill at 917.763.3127 or see my wife Chaya's
      email list for Jewish women's events: email chaya_lung@... or
      sign up on the web:

      Also Jan 20, 7-8:30PM Neshama Carlebach in a fundraising
      concert for "Save 1 person. Save the World" (The best weapon against
      terror is an act of kindness). At Session 73, 1359 First Avenue at
      E73 St. RSVP, for more info call Lauren Finkelstein at 212.472.5847
      and see http://neshamacarlebach.com !PLEASE NOTE: The issue of Kol
      Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Wednesday, Jan 22 at 8:30pm till it ends, Citigrass playing
      a weekly series at Galapagos, 70 N6 St in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
      (btwn Wythe and Kent: take L train to Bedford Ave - 1 stop from
      Manhattan). For more info call the club at 718-782-5188 or see
      http://www.citigrass.com

      Thursday, Jan 23 Pharaoh's Daughter playing two sets at
      7:30pm and then at 10:30pm at The Bottom Line, 15 W4 St. All seats
      $15. Reserve by calling the box office at 212-228-6300 or email
      BLTmailbox@... http://www.pharaohsdaughter.com !PLEASE NOTE:
      The issue of Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult your local
      Rabbinic authority!

      Friday, Jan 24, at 4:50pm, if you're in Washington Heights
      for Shabbos, I will be leading the Friday night service with lots of
      tunes, at Mount Sinai Jewish Center, 135 Bennett Ave @ 187th St.
      I will also be leading a spiritual shalesheudos program (3rd Shabbos
      meal) for Isralight, but I don't have the location yet. If you can
      host this or know somebody who lives in the Heights, please email me
      at gili@... (or just reply to this message)

      Saturday night, January 25 at 8:30pm, Cafe Tif with comedian
      Mike Rosman and music by my bandmate Seth Nadel. $25 in advance,
      $30 at the door, includes buffet. At Tifereth Israel, 180 Passaic
      Ave. in Passaic, NJ. For more info: call Ray Rosenblatt or email
      rebseth@...

      Also Jan 25, 8:30pm Soulfarm at Makor, 35 West 67th Street
      (Between CPW & Columbus). $12. Call 212-601-1000 or
      http://www.makor.org

      Wed, Jan 29 8PM Klezmer Mountain Boys performing at the
      Knitting Factory, 74 Leonard St. Cost: $7. More info: 212-219-3006
      or http://www.knittingfactory.com !PLEASE NOTE: The issue of Kol
      Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Friday, January 31 - February 1 is a singles Shabbaton at
      Congregation Aish Kodesh in Woodmere. Participants will spend
      Shabbos with other singles, families and friends in the community,
      and Rav Weinberger will be speaking throughout the Shabbos, an Oneg
      dessert Friday night, a catered lunch, inspirational davening in the
      new shul, home hospitality, shadchanim, Seudah Shlishis tisch, and a
      special melava malka concert with Aron Razel. RSVP (asap) Matisyahu
      & Rina Friedman 516.295.5724. Ages (flexible): Women 27-37 & Men 30-
      40. Cost for Shabbos is $25, not including Saturday night concert
      with Aron Razel on February 1 which is $15 ($10 for students). For
      more info call the shul at 516-374-8596 or see http://aishkodesh.org

      Saturday Night Feb. 1 at 8:30 PM Downtown New Moon Gathering
      celebrating the new month of Adar, with Jewish Meditation & Drum
      circle, at Shiva Shala Yoga Studio, 1 Rivington Place 2nd Floor off
      Bowery St. Bring your instruments. Cost: $12 ($10 before 1/20).
      Contact Elyakeem 917-822-0117 or cubits@... and see flyer at

      There's a great new email list for young Orthodox
      singles: "In The Know" (formerly "Chaviva's Event List") is an
      incredible resource, with an organized list of events (concerts,
      singles events, shabbatonim, conferences, solidarity missions,
      outdoor activities, lectures, shiurim, and lots more) between 1 and
      4 times a month. While the list is targeted to singles, married
      people have found it useful as well. Chaviva Waxman selflessly ran
      this successful list for over a year, but she lost all the email
      addresses when someone broke into her account. Now she's starting
      again from scratch, so subscribe by sending email to InTheKnow-
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com or contact Chaviva directly at
      Chaviva2@...

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: The Yitchak Halevi Band
      plays original Jewish music with a real rockin rhythm. The
      album "Rising Star" features popular riffs set to Hebrew lyrics: Ein
      Kaylokeinu, Hashem Melech, Reishis Chochma, V'Ahavta L'Re'acha. The
      beautiful Ani Ma'amin could become the next standard wedding tune.
      The one English song, "Do you Remember My Name" is an ode to a more
      peaceful time, with Yitchak Halevi on guitar could be another
      Hendrix. He's also got a great rendition of the traditional Al
      Hanisim, which makes this perfect for the Purim holiday coming up.
      To get a CD or tape, email rrjobs@... or just come this Saturday
      night to see him live!

      Tu B'shvat commemorates the beginning of springtime in
      Israel, the constant renewal of nature, the beauty of G-d's
      Creation. We should remember that the world was set up to be ever-
      changing, and our role in this dynamic system is not to destroy, but
      to be partners with our Creator in making sure everything co-exists
      in harmony. Let us join together to sing a new song as we celebrate
      Tu B'shvat and the Sabbath of Song. Enjoy the music!