520Re: media: pregnant syracuse woman death...

  • kmikesr
    Oct 1 9:14 AM

      Pregnant woman is Onondaga County's fourth swine flu death

      By James T. Mulder / The Post-Standard

      September 10, 2009, 2:50PM
      Li-Hua Lan / Post-Standard, file photographOnondaga County Health Commissioner Dr. Cynthia Morrow discusses swine flu at a news conference earlier this year.

      A pregnant Onondaga County woman has died of swine flu, but the baby survived, according to a source familiar with the case.

      County and state officials would not confirm details of the death, which is the fourth in Onondaga County linked to H1N1 virus.

      Dr. Cynthia Morrow, the county's health commissioner, said at a news conference this afternoon the case involved an adult who was at increased risk for complications. Morrow declined to reveal any other information about the individual.

      State Health Department spokeswoman Claire Pospisil said today that a pregnant woman died recently of H1N1, but she wouldn't confirm when the death occurred or if the death was in Onondaga County.

      Want to know more about swine flu? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has collected information, tips on dealing with the flu.

      Morrow said her department has received several reports of an increase in flu-like illness in the community. She said it's likely many of these cases involve the H1N1 virus.

      The Onondaga County death is the 28th this year in Upstate related to H1N1, Pospisil said. Of those deaths, 10 occurred among people 18 and younger, she said.

      According to the Centers for Disease Control, nationwide since mid-April, when the so-called swine flu first appeared, to Aug. 30, a total of 9,079 hospitalizations and 593 deaths associated with H1N1 viruses have been reported to CDC.

      New York Gov. David A. Paterson announced today that insurers in the state must cover seasonal flu and H1N1 vaccinations for children aged 19 and younger and enrolled in comprehensive health plans.

      Pregnant women, children and adults with underlying medical conditions are at higher risk of contracting either H1N1 or seasonal flu, state health officials said, and should get a flu vaccination.

      Because H1N1 is widespread in New York, the state Health Department is testing for H1N1 on a case-by-case basis to track the severity of the virus. Morrow said her department has been notified of two confirmed cases of H1N1 in hospitalized adults.

      State and local health officials advise people to cover their noses and mouths when they cough or sneeze to help prevent mthe spread of the flu. They also said people should wash their hands with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing.

      Morrow said anyone with flu-like illness with a fever of more than 100 degrees, a cough or a sore throat should stay at home for at least 24 hours after the fever goes away.

      James T. Mulder can be reached at 470-2245 or jmulder@...

      --- In NY-Vaccine-Strategy-Forum@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rainbow <firepoetry77@...> wrote:
      > Jim T. Mulder did a story on a pregnant woman who died from the swine flu... is this the same woman who received the vaccine?
      > Whether it is or not, maybe the person who reported on this list could send him an email or phone him about the pregnant woman who died after getting the vaccine, and any and all stories we have. I have already emailed him, but I'm going out of town today.
      > jmulder@...
      > 315-470-2245
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic