519READ ARTICLE pregnant woman death...

  • kmikesr
    Oct 1, 2009
      http://www.cleveland.com/medical/index.ssf/2009/09/cleveland_health_department_re.html

      Cleveland health department reports that pregnant woman died of swine flu in June

      By mary whitley

      September 04, 2009, 8:30PM

      An 18-year-old pregnant Cleveland woman died from complications of swine flu in June, the city health department said Friday.

      The death was the first in Cleveland related to swine flu, or H1N1. The city received lab confirmation last week, said Health Director Matthew Carroll.

      Pregnant women are among the high-risk groups for swine flu. A 20-year-old Columbus woman died Thursday from the virus after delivering a baby a week ago.

      The virus has claimed the lives of three Ohioans since first appearing in the United States in April, Carroll said.

      Few details were available about the Cleveland woman. She was in the later stages of pregnancy and had been hospitalized with the flu, Carroll said.

      Overall, Cleveland has recorded 11 swine flu cases since April. But cases are no longer tracked because the state stopped testing for H1N1 unless a patient is hospitalized, said emergency physician Dr. Philip Coverdale of Southwest General Health Center in Middleburg Heights.

      "As long as you're well enough to go home and be treated with [anti-viral] medication, I don't think it matters what kind of flu it is," Coverdale said.

      --- In NY-Vaccine-Strategy-Forum@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rainbow <firepoetry77@...> wrote:

      > Jim T. Mulder did a story on a pregnant woman who died from the swine flu... is this the same woman who received the vaccine?
      >
      > Whether it is or not, maybe the person who reported on this list could send him an email or phone him about the pregnant woman who died after getting the vaccine, and any and all stories we have. I have already emailed him, but I'm going out of town today.
      >
      > jmulder@...
      > 315-470-2245

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic