two big full-time jobs available in press/communications in DC

  • Annfromdc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2011

      ONE is a global advocacy and campaigning organization backed by more than 2 million people from around the world dedicated to fighting extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. ONE has offices in Washington DC, across Europe, and in Africa. This position will work out of our Washington DC location.

      The Press Secretary is responsible for advancing ONE’s goals by increasing public awareness and understanding of these issues through US media coverage. The Press Secretary works as part of the Communications Team, implementing the media strategy under the supervision of the Senior Director, US Communications. In addition to forming and managing relationships with key US reporters covering relevant issues of importance to ONE, the Press Secretary will track and fulfill media inquiries and manage proactive outreach in support of ONE’s goals. This role will also work closely with ONE’s policy, field and government affairs teams, as well as, with communications staff in our global offices on global campaign initiatives. Will also assist with managing the US Communications team. Exceptional writing skills are essential for this position.

      The ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years experience working as a spokesperson with the media, experience working on Capitol Hill and/or political campaigns and familiarity with global health and development media. The candidate must have relationships with media in key outlets and the demonstrated capacity to build new and productive relationships on an ongoing basis. This individual is an exceptional writer who can juggle multiple organizational needs and meet deadlines for a broad of projects/campaigns. The role requires accuracy, attention to detail, creative thinking, a proven ability to write and place opinion pieces, and a fresh approach to creating news. Must be able to work long hours with occasional travel. Supervisory experience a plus.

      Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to recruitment@.... Please reference “Press Secretary” in the subject line. See www.one.org for the complete job description and to learn more about ONE.

      *********************************

      Susan G. Komen for the Cure has an executive opportunity available. This is a high profile job with a great career opportunity for qualified individuals. As part of the executive leadership of Susan G. Komen, this position is tied to the heartbeat of the leadership, mission, and growth of our organization. Working closely with our founder, our president, and our CMO, these individuals can truly make an impact in a world-changing way.

      SVP Communications and External Relations (DC-based)

      • Advises and works closely with the Founder and CEO, President, EVP & Chief Marketing Officer
      • Primary liaison between Susan G. Komen and communications partners, national media outlets and key stakeholders
      • Oversees strategy and content for all marketing communications, education, and fundraising materials, newsletters, websites, and social media properties.
      • Exceptional strength in PR with a strong presence in the Washington, DC area.
      • 15+ years of direct experience in a healthcare, scientific, and/or not-for-profit environment a plus.

      To apply, visit: www.komen.org/getinvolved/careers

      Ann Hoffman
      First Vice President
      National Writers Union