Questions regarding track elevations

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
      I have seen photos of layouts depicting early to mid 20th century operations that have a siding that is slightly elevated (look to be 3-5' in scale). This was located in a yard, near a turntable. The other curiosity was a gradual depression cut out so the track was about 6-10' below the surrounding terrain. This was placed on as a siding not far from a station.
      Would someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of these?

      Thanks,
      Steve
    • John Mckenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
        Hi Steve, I believe your talking about the elvated track for a coaling tower and the depressed track for the ash pit.  I'll attach some photos of some off line for your convenience,  but these should be available from any of dozens of sources on line, check them out.
        John

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
          Steve

          I think you are referring to trackage in Ridgeway and Dolores on the RGS.
          Both tracks were used to fuel locomotives. The coal was shoveled from a
          gondola on the elevated track in Ridgeway into the tender on the lower
          track. In Dolores, the loco was backed into the pit and coal was shoveled from
          a gondola on the level track into the tender. There is a picture of this
          on page 146 of Volume VII of "The RGS Story"

          Jim

          In a message dated 4/15/2013 6:41:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          earlyngrr@... writes:

          I have seen photos of layouts depicting early to mid 20th century
          operations that have a siding that is slightly elevated (look to be 3-5' in scale).
          This was located in a yard, near a turntable. The other curiosity was a
          gradual depression cut out so the track was about 6-10' below the surrounding
          terrain. This was placed on as a siding not far from a station.
          Would someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of these?

          Thanks,
          Steve

        • Gerald
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
            Steve,

            D&RGW used a similar arrangement at Ouray, with the elevated track on the west (canyon wall) side of the enginehouse lead.  In later years the elevated west track was eliminated, along with the 3-way turnout that was replaced by a simpler 2-way.

            Gerry