6200 flatcar kitbash opportunity

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
      Within the past week, someone asked how ties were stacked in D&RGW rail and tie car 06092. This caused me to check out the Grandt book myself, and paging through the book a bit past my intended subject, I discovered that The Grande also modified 6200-series flats for non-revenue service.

      As many of you may know, PBL just released 6200 flats as kits. I picked up a couple in Bellevue. These are wood cars with steel side sills and some funky oversized archbar trucks. 6207, 6209 and 6217 were modified to water car service by the addition of tanks (-07 and 17) or tender cisterns (-09). I have always liked the quaint image of the water car at Taos Junction, and 06217 looks similar to the car used on the Chili Line, 0459, with similar railings on the side of the car. In one of the books, a D&RGW document shows a number of water cars (including 06217) assigned to Chama to take water to the Monero water tank. So, you this project is perfect for you Chama modelers.

      Anyway, I think I will have to order another 6200 kit with this bash in mind. The tank will become the issue: I need to compare the tank on 06217, with a UTLX tank--the length appears to be about the center-to-center distance at the bolsters on the flat, and the diameter is close to the UTLX cars. It would also be easy to shorten the dome.

      06207 is more funky, as it is a much smaller diameter tank with a tall dome and (at least in the 1958 images) a funky vent pipe on the B-end of the car (or is it the drain?!?).

      If anyone has more information on these tanks, please post it!

      Keith Hayes
      Denver, Colorado