Re: [NWNG-Sn3Group] Brian Ellerby

  • bhanley@msn.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2010
      This is sad and shocking news. Brian was a pillar of
      strength and competence in our modeling
      community - always available and willing to
      assist. He will be sorely missed.

      My condolences to his family.

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2010
        What I don't understand is that, in the model press for these past years,
        all we could see, on and on, of Brian's layout was what's in the first room,
        but NEVER what is in the second, much larger, one. The trackwork in it
        was almost nearly complete nine years ago already though. So how come ?
        I sincerely hope that there will be an important update in the future Gazettes!

        Alex

      • Paul Scoles
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2010
          Hi guys,

          Like all of you, I feel absolutely awful about the news regarding Brian, much as I did when the other pillar of our little world, Jim Noonan, passed away in 2006.

          Someone said Brian was the glue that held us together. He was more than that; he probably was the most important, most influential modeler most any of us will ever meet. I like the idea someone posted about a postumous MMR award.

          How about a "memorial" article/photo story in the Gazette showing his entire work? I'd be happy to take photos if they're needed, although I suspect hundreds of good photos already exist on numerous hard drives out there.

          Stick together fellas...

          Paul

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2010
            Brian and Mary have been friends for many years and the news of his passing is a great shock. I stopped in and saw them a couple weeks before he went in for the operation. Now I'm glad I did.
            We have all lost a great friend, and he will be greatly missed.
            I also want to Thank Fred, for keeping us posted on Brian's progress and passing.

            Tom Beaton
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2010
              Very sad news indeed, Paul.

              Bill Wardell introduced me to the Seattle group when I was in graduate school years ago. It sustained my interest in trains in general and Sn3 in particular. I only visited an early version of Brian's layout once, and always found him most pleasant.

              Keith

              --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, Paul Scoles <pbscoles@...> wrote:

              > Hi guys,
              >
              > Like all of you, I feel absolutely awful about the news regarding Brian, much as I did when the other pillar of our little world, Jim Noonan, passed away in 2006.
              >
              > Someone said Brian was the glue that held us together. He was more than that; he probably was the most important, most influential modeler most any of us will ever meet. I like the idea someone posted about a postumous MMR award.
              >
              > How about a "memorial" article/photo story in the Gazette showing his entire work? I'd be happy to take photos if they're needed, although I suspect hundreds of good photos already exist on numerous hard drives out there.
              >
              > Stick together fellas...
              >
              > Paul

            • k27fan
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2010
                I first met Brian during the 1991 Convention. I was an HO modeler and a member of the Burlington Northern Club at King Street. My layout of Tennessee Pass was well underway, and then, I saw Brian's layout.

                The HO went back into boxes and display cases and I started hanging out with a lot of you guys. Brian was an inspiration to me for many reasons. First of all, he was an excellent modeler with great scenes, structures and track work that is unsurpassed. Second, he was a man of great ideas and innovation from bench work modules to the most clever switch control mechanism I have ever seen. Third, he was dedicated to researching interesting prototypes for his mining theme and experimenting with rolling stock he designed to fit his theme realistically. Finally, he was always willing to share his experience and ideas in very positive and helpful ways and he was always fun to be around.

                All these attributes made Brian one of the most respected men I have ever met. His contribution to the hobby and to all of us in particular will be a lasting thing. I believe we can best honor his memory by striving to do our best work in model building, sharing with others our experience and promoting fellowship with each other.

                While most focused on taking pictures of his beautiful layout, I greatly enjoyed watching the interaction of many of you with him and each other as we enjoyed the time we had together. I have many such photos and videos to share and I hope many of you do also.

                We will have a great opportunity in our planned 2012 National Narrow Gauge Convention to demonstrate what he has inspired us individually and collectively to do and I believe we will. He was a part of the original group interested in doing another Convention and his memory will be a big part of that event. He will be missed.

                Russ Segner
              • Gilbert Bennett
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2010
                  I was saddened to hear of Brian's passing.  His modeling skills and enthusiasm for Sn3 were second to none.  I send my best wishes to his family.  He will be missed.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2010
                    The Ellerby family would like to convey a sincere and heartfelt "Thank you" to all of you who were able to attend the last train-running session and open house a week ago. They appreciated the show of support and were amazed at the turnout of so many of Brian's friends.

                    Mary has begun a new phase of her life. On Saturday morning, she left for California with Don, Mairead, and their three children who helped get the truck loaded and on its way. She'll be moving into an apartment near her son and family.

                    The Ellerby family is planning to prepare the house for sale as quickly as possible. They would like to see the layout equipment and books from the CR&Y available to Brian's friends before work begins on the house.

                    To do so, there will be a sale this Saturday, June 5th, from Noon until about 4 PM. You are invited to purchase whatever items from Brian's layout that you may be able to use. The Ellerby family hopes that by making items that Brian owned available to others that it will continue to give enjoyment as it did for Brian.

                    We hope you'll attend and help to make Brian's legacy live on in the model railroad community.

                    Fred Hamilton
                  • robinpeel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
                      Is this sale still taking place this weekend? I would like to help in any way possible, even if it can be only by giving a good home to some of Brian's models.

                      Thanks,

                      - Robin

                      --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "k27fan" <russseg@...> wrote:

                      > The Ellerby family would like to convey a sincere and heartfelt "Thank you" to all of you who were able to attend the last train-running session and open house a week ago. They appreciated the show of support and were amazed at the turnout of so many of Brian's friends.
                      >
                      > Mary has begun a new phase of her life. On Saturday morning, she left for California with Don, Mairead, and their three children who helped get the truck loaded and on its way. She'll be moving into an apartment near her son and family.
                      >
                      > The Ellerby family is planning to prepare the house for sale as quickly as possible. They would like to see the layout equipment and books from the CR&Y available to Brian's friends before work begins on the house.
                      >
                      > To do so, there will be a sale this Saturday, June 5th, from Noon until about 4 PM. You are invited to purchase whatever items from Brian's layout that you may be able to use. The Ellerby family hopes that by making items that Brian owned available to others that it will continue to give enjoyment as it did for Brian.
                      >
                      > We hope you'll attend and help to make Brian's legacy live on in the model railroad community.
                      >
                      > Fred Hamilton

                    • Russ Segner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
                        The sale is tomorrow, Saturday, from noon to 4:00 PM. There are numerous
                        locomotives, some never out of their boxes, rolling stock and supplies.

                        The address is:

                        12008 NE 68th Pl

                        Kirkland, WA 98033

                        Russ Segner