Corrugated metal siding.

  • Jim Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi guys - am contemplating doing a structure clad with
      (prototype) corrugated metal siding. Was thinking
      I might try it with ESM styrene sheet (vs.individual
      pieces of foil) and was wondering if anyone else
      has used this product yet. The structure will be
      in a semi-background location, so it will not be
      subject to the 'inches from the face' scrutiny -
      not that ANY of my structures could withstand
      that! <G>
      Was thinking maybe a *very* light scribe to
      simulate the joints, and then perhaps painting a
      fine "shadow line" when doing the final finishing -
      any thoughts??

      - jim
    • John Agnew
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
        Jim a fellow called Ken Clough in my suburb, makes styrene long run
        corrugated iron sheets complete w/boltheads. Regards John
      • George Clark Womack
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
          Jim,
          Fredric Testard, who lives in France, has used ESM styrene corrugated
          roofing. I have some photos of his work which I use as wallpaper on my
          computer.
          Fredric's roofs (rooves?) look very good.

          Maybe you should contact him to see how he does it.

          His e-mail address is: fredric.testard@...

          If you want I will e-mail the photos to you so you can see how good it
          looks.
          Clark Womack

          Jim Brown wrote:

          > Hi guys - am contemplating doing a structure clad with
          > (prototype) corrugated metal siding. Was thinking
          > I might try it with ESM styrene sheet (vs.individual
          > pieces of foil) and was wondering if anyone else
          > has used this product yet. The structure will be
          > in a semi-background location, so it will not be
          > subject to the 'inches from the face' scrutiny -
          > not that ANY of my structures could withstand
          > that! <G>
          > Was thinking maybe a *very* light scribe to
          > simulate the joints, and then perhaps painting a
          > fine "shadow line" when doing the final finishing -
          > any thoughts??
          >
          > - jim
          >

          > NWNG-Sn3Group Home Page:
          > http://www.egroups.com/group/NWNG-Sn3Group
          >
          > NWNG-Sn3 Group Chat Room:
          > Mondays 7:00pm PST/10:00pm EST, until...(?)
        • Frederic Testard
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
            Jim

            Hello to all. A long time without a message, due to lots of
            work (and a little time spent to scratchbuild a turntable
            designed after the Laws one, but built on a steep hill with
            a lot of trestle work : an idea inspired by a superb model
            of my good fellow Alexander Zelkin. In fact, the real
            motivation for launching such a project was when he
            suggested that I might not have enough experience to do it
            by myself... But more on it later, when things come to a
            conclusion).

            Only when I read Clarck Womack's message did I realize that
            ESM must stand for Evergreen. Indeed, I used this material
            to model the roofing of a small shed on my logging diorama.
            It's easy to work with, it takes paint (Polly Scale first,
            then some oil paint for weathering), and can easily be
            detailed with Grandt's NBW. I did cut it into realistically
            sized parts (at least, what I consider a realistic size,
            must have been 3 x 4 scale feet for my roof). I think that
            the shadows resulting naturally from this could be painful
            to imitate with painting, and that the realistic way may
            save time instead of waste it. (In fact, this tends to be my
            opinion for many scratchbuilding works...)

            Hope this helps

            Regards from windy France, with a new ship sunk not far from
            our coast

            Frederic Testard
            La Rochelle France
          • Brian Pate
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
              Hi Jim

              Why not use "freezer foil" aluminum foil run through a paper corrugator? The
              latter are available in craft stores along with fancy scissors, punches etc
              for making up photo and scrap albums. The corrugations are a bit coarse for
              HO but might well fit in the backgound for Sn3.

              Regards,
              Brian Pate
              bpate@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
                  Hi George - thanks for the tip! Coincidentally, Dave Woodrell also
                  mentioned this product, which he has used on some
                  of the structures on his layout and is very pleased
                  with.

                  - jim