Sydney Olympics

  • Peter Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      G'day from Downunder,

      I've just watched the fantastic closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympic
      games. Hope you blokes have been following the events of the past two
      weeks.

      I think that just about all Aussies (which is not all that many
      anyway) were either glued to the 'box' or in Sydney itself for what
      has been, at least from our viewpoint, a marvellous celebration of
      international sport over the past 16 days.

      We're all feeling very proud at present that we could host the Games
      and, by all accounts, have done a pretty fair job as well.

      I know that your time difference creates a problem for you in trying
      to follow things live on TV. But heh, just because we're ahead of you
      in time and most other things as well! Does that sound a bit too
      cocky?

      Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed what we've had the pleasure of being
      part of and that the Olympic Games has again reminded us all that the
      world is a very small place and getting smaller. Meaning, of course,
      that we'd all better learn to get along with each other a lot quicker
      than we're doing at present.

      I'll try to get back to some modelling now that the Games are over
      and spring is in the air. Bob and I need to start thinking about the
      Melbourne Narrow Gauge Convention in Easter next year, and you blokes
      are, I gather, busy planning your Synposium for next February. In
      February you'll be dodging ice and we'll be surfing at the beach in
      century heat! Strange world is'nt it?

      All the best from the EVNGR and Downunder.

      Peter
    • Ken Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        Peter/Bob

        Worked last night and got to watch the closing cermony, excellent
        job, had no do a couple of work related item's missed Crocidile
        Dundee. Considering making it to the meet next year downunder, see
        how
        retirement plan's unfold, after 34 year's of shift work had enough,
        will be looking for a 8-5 job.
        All in all, an excellent job of the Olypimic's and you all should
        be
        proud, I was proud to see the "LARGEST" Flag at the closing was from
        the GREAT WHITE NORTH!.

        G'Day eeh!
        Ken Clark

        --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@egroups.com, "Peter Jackson" <evngr@c...> wrote:
        > G'day from Downunder,
        >
        > I've just watched the fantastic closing ceremony of the 2000
        Olympic
        > games. Hope you blokes have been following the events of the past
        two
        > weeks.
        >
        > I think that just about all Aussies (which is not all that many
        > anyway) were either glued to the 'box' or in Sydney itself for what
        > has been, at least from our viewpoint, a marvellous celebration of
        > international sport over the past 16 days.
        >
        > We're all feeling very proud at present that we could host the
        Games
        > and, by all accounts, have done a pretty fair job as well.
        >
        > I know that your time difference creates a problem for you in
        trying
        > to follow things live on TV. But heh, just because we're ahead of
        you
        > in time and most other things as well! Does that sound a bit too
        > cocky?
        >
        > Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed what we've had the pleasure of being
        > part of and that the Olympic Games has again reminded us all that
        the
        > world is a very small place and getting smaller. Meaning, of
        course,
        > that we'd all better learn to get along with each other a lot
        quicker
        > than we're doing at present.
        >
        > I'll try to get back to some modelling now that the Games are over
        > and spring is in the air. Bob and I need to start thinking about
        the
        > Melbourne Narrow Gauge Convention in Easter next year, and you
        blokes
        > are, I gather, busy planning your Synposium for next February. In
        > February you'll be dodging ice and we'll be surfing at the beach in
        > century heat! Strange world is'nt it?
        >
        > All the best from the EVNGR and Downunder.
        >
        > Peter
      • William Adkins
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
          Bob/Peter
          In the midst of watching the closing ceremonies via CBC and while
          I saw Crocodile Dundee I was most impressed by the young thing that sang
          “Dancing Queen.” It occurred to me that if Peter could arrange for her to
          attend the Sn3 Symposium in Seattle, WE just might be basking in our own
          century heat!!!!
          Matter of fact the US prime time closing ceremonies is about (or
          as the Canadians’ say “aboot”) to start—she’s definitely worth a second
          look!

          Oh, I forgot this is a model railroad list, so I had better
          mention that the San Miguel had a visit from the Yukon Copper’s own Brian
          Ellerby today demonstrating turnout-laying 501. I can’t even begin to repeat
          all the details but in case you haven’t had Brian show you how to install a
          turnout, beg, borrow or steal the opportunity! First, it is a graduate level
          course. Second, I have s new found respect for what goes in to near
          perfection in track laying—now I REALLY understand the effort that has gone
          into Brian’s layout. Wow!

          Hoo roo for now?

          Bill

          Worked last night and got to watch the closing cermony, excellent
          job, had no do a couple of work related item's missed Crocidile
          Dundee. Considering making it to the meet next year downunder, see
          how
          retirement plan's unfold, after 34 year's of shift work had enough,
          will be looking for a 8-5 job.
          All in all, an excellent job of the Olypimic's and you all should
          be
          proud, I was proud to see the "LARGEST" Flag at the closing was from
          the GREAT WHITE NORTH!.

          G'Day eeh!
          Ken Clark

          --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@egroups.com, "Peter Jackson" <evngr@c...> wrote:
          > G'day from Downunder,
          >
          > I've just watched the fantastic closing ceremony of the 2000
          Olympic
          > games. Hope you blokes have been following the events of the past
          two
          > weeks.
          >
          > I think that just about all Aussies (which is not all that many
          > anyway) were either glued to the 'box' or in Sydney itself for what
          > has been, at least from our viewpoint, a marvellous celebration of
          > international sport over the past 16 days.
          >
          > We're all feeling very proud at present that we could host the
          Games
          > and, by all accounts, have done a pretty fair job as well.
          >
          > I know that your time difference creates a problem for you in
          trying
          > to follow things live on TV. But heh, just because we're ahead of
          you
          > in time and most other things as well! Does that sound a bit too
          > cocky?
          >
          > Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed what we've had the pleasure of being
          > part of and that the Olympic Games has again reminded us all that
          the
          > world is a very small place and getting smaller. Meaning, of
          course,
          > that we'd all better learn to get along with each other a lot
          quicker
          > than we're doing at present.
          >
          > I'll try to get back to some modelling now that the Games are over
          > and spring is in the air. Bob and I need to start thinking about
          the
          > Melbourne Narrow Gauge Convention in Easter next year, and you
          blokes
          > are, I gather, busy planning your Synposium for next February. In
          > February you'll be dodging ice and we'll be surfing at the beach in
          > century heat! Strange world is'nt it?
          >
          > All the best from the EVNGR and Downunder.
          >
          > Peter

          NWNG-Sn3Group Home Page:
          http://www.egroups.com/group/NWNG-Sn3Group

          NWNG-Sn3 Group Chat Room:
          Mondays 7:00pm PST/10:00pm EST, until...(?)

        • pop.visi.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
            >I was most impressed by the young thing that sang “Dancing Queen.”

            Prior to the start of the Olypics, there was a bit of a flap regarding the
            fact that the organizers had retained the services of several hundred "drag
            queens" for the closing ceremonies. "Dancing queen" may have been closer
            than you know.