Rubbery rocks

  • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
      On the layout we picked up in Flagstff a few years ago, there were some rocks more on the backdrop than on the actual layout, that look great but are soft and pliable like rubbery foam. Anyone know what was used for these rocks? I thought it might be Bragdon Enterpirses until I looked at their web site.

      Robert
    • Mike Conder
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
        Could they be "Frocks"? A method from Oz, they are regular foam rubber coated with plaster. Very light weight but I don't know if they're "rubbery."

        Mike Conder

        Robert Harmen wrote:

        > ... there were some rocks more on the backdrop than on the actual layout, that look great but are soft and pliable like rubbery foam. Anyone know what was used for these rocks? ....
        Sent from my handheld
      • William Uffelman
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
          http://members.westnet.com.au/mjbd/html/foam_rocks_-_frocks.html%c2%a0may help

          Bill Uffelman
          Usually Las Vegas NV

          On the layout we picked up in Flagstff a few years ago, there were some rocks more on the backdrop than on the actual layout, that look great but are soft and pliable like rubbery foam. Anyone know what was used for these rocks? I thought it might be Bragdon Enterpirses until I looked at their web site.

          Robert

        • Alexandre Zelkine
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
            >Could they be "Frocks"? A method from Oz, they are
            >regular foam rubber coated with plaster.

            The way I understood that, Mario Rapinett makes his "frocks"
            with broken styrofoam slabs coated with drywall compound,
            not foam rubber nor plaster. But I may be wrong...
            (Anyway, I must definitely try this method!)

            Alex

          • Rod Hutchinson
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
              Alex,

              Frocks are foam rubber NOT Styrofoam.
              http://members.westnet.com.au/mjbd/html/foam_rocks_-_frocks.html

              Regards
              Rod Hutchinson
              Mooroolbark, Australia

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

                > Frocks are foam rubber NOT Styrofoam.

                Frocks, while not what I am looking for, may also work for the rpojet I am considering. Light wieght is important here. Frocks look fantastic!

                The ones I have here are like latex rubber but more flexible than the stuff I use at the office.

                Robert
              • Don Peterson
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
                  There was a guy in Ft Collins, Jack Rice, that used regular upholstery foam torn into VERY jagged chunks, glued them to the layout with caulk and then coated them with diluted painters caulk. After the whole mess dried he painted them. I remember them being very effective although not up to the par of plaster rocks from latex molds. His purpose was along the layout edge where thy might get bumped. They were very soft.

                  Don
                • Alexandre Zelkine
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
                    >Frocks are foam rubber NOT Styrofoam.
                    >Rod Hutchinson
                    >Mooroolbark, Australia

                    Thank you Rod for correcting me.
                    I understand now why the break didn't have an interesting look
                    when I was breaking a piece of styrofoam !... :-)

                    Incidentally, what variety/hardness of foam rubber do I need,
                    and in what sort of stores does one usually find this variety?

                    Alex

                  • Richard E Bendever
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
                      Of course they wouldn't be Frocks; they would be Styrocks!!!<GBG>
                      BTW We have a *brand new* discussion posted on the Doctor Ben's BlogSpot: Realistic Bricks Finishes using Industrial Weather Pigments.
                      Later,
                      ============== http://DrBens.BlogSpot.com/ ================
                      Richard E. Bendever
                      DEBEN LLC, 910 Millvale Place, Lawrenceville, GA 30044-6239
                      www.DEBENLLC.com | - Doctor Ben's Scale Consortium

                      --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:

                      > Alex,
                      >
                      > Frocks are foam rubber NOT Styrofoam.
                      > http://members.westnet.com.au/mjbd/html/foam_rocks_-_frocks.html
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Rod Hutchinson
                      > Mooroolbark, Australia

                    • Ken Clark
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
                        -
                        Alex
                        I get my foam (up to 8" thick from dumpsters<G>). One of the local
                        hobby shops has a outfit above them which makes furniture and pitchs the left over bits away.

                        Ken Clark
                        GWN Eh!

                        -- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "Alexandre Zelkine" <cilou.zelkine@...> wrote:

                        > >Frocks are foam rubber NOT Styrofoam.
                        > >Rod Hutchinson
                        > >Mooroolbark, Australia
                        >
                        > Thank you Rod for correcting me.
                        > I understand now why the break didn't have an interesting look
                        > when I was breaking a piece of styrofoam !... :-)
                        >
                        > Incidentally, what variety/hardness of foam rubber do I need,
                        > and in what sort of stores does one usually find this variety?
                        >
                        > Alex

                      • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Hey! I was able to get to the backdrops last nite, and I discovered they are indeed Frocks!!! Fantastic. Appreciate the leads guys. If anyone know of any other articles on this process, plaes clue me in since we all know I am clueless!!!

                          THANKS,

                          Robert
                        • Mike Conder
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                            So do the Frocks look good? I'm thinking of using that technique myself.

                            Mike Conder
                              Hey! I was able to get to the backdrops last nite, and I discovered they are indeed Frocks!!! Fantastic. Appreciate the leads guys. If anyone know of any other articles on this process, plaes clue me in since we all know I am clueless!!! THANKS, Robert

                            Sent from my handheld
                          • John Waite
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                              Here is a link to a web site that explains how to do Frocks and has photos
                              of them: http://members.westnet.com.au/mjbd/html/foam_rocks_-_frocks.html
                              John Waite
                              265 Madeline's Park Circle
                              Jefferson City, MO 65109
                              573-659-9192 (Home)
                              573-864-0254 (Cell)

                              > So do the Frocks look good? I'm thinking of using that technique myself.
                              >
                              > Mike Conder

                            • Rod Hutchinson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                                Hi all,

                                Frocks were introduced to Narrow Gauge Modellers at the inaugural Australian Narrow Gauge Convention of 1996 by Mark and Angela Fry. Mark & Angela published an article in the Australian Model Railway Magazine, of which I have a copy as scanned pages in PDF format. I think Model Railroader may have published something as well.

                                Mario Rapinett has taken the concept further than most here in Melbourne.

                                Regards
                                Rod Hutchinson
                                Melbourne, Australia.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                                  --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Conder" <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

                                  > So do the Frocks look good?

                                  Yes, they do. I can try and bring them to Colorado Springs. Not sure seeing they are on 2 by 6 foot backdrowps, but I might be willing to sell them to an interested party.

                                  Let me take some photos this week and post them here.

                                  Robert