C&S No. 5

  • onagerla
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2009
      Dr. Harmen,

      upon investigation I found my no. 5 to be pretty close to Maxwell's drawing DSP-105. The cab measured .755" top of rail to bottom of cad = to 48.32" S scale. The drawing scaled at 51" so the model cab is about 2.5" low. The pilot deck as near as I could measure on the model was .695" = to 44.5" scale. It should be 39". So the pilot is high. But before you go trying to lower this take into consideration WHY the manufacturer made it high - and it was intentional. In order for the pilot wheels to clear the frame safely they set the pilot high. The prototype didn't worry about shorting out their DCC command unit and besides that they didn't live in a scale world that tends to exagerate bumps in the track. A few inches clearance of their one inch flanges was plenty for them. As I said before; the moguls especially seem to have issues with their pilots. You can do as you wish of course but my advice is to leave it alone. Seek professional help if you must but learn to live with a slightly high deck. On the other hand if you insist on lowering the pilot let me know how it turns out.

      Derrell