Operations Question for Paul Scoles

  • Keith Hayes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
      Paul:

      I am the recent recipient of your Operation video-very nice work!

      Using the four-cycle car cards, is there a repeat of the operating session every forth cycle, or
      due to a variety of factors does randomness ensue?

      Keith
    • Paul Scoles
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
        Hi Keith,

        > Using the four-cycle car cards, is there a repeat of the operating
        > session every forth cycle, or
        > due to a variety of factors does randomness ensue?
        > Keith

        The waybill/car cards repeat every 4th operating session. However, I mix up train consists during re-staging, thus train make up is more or less random. It's never the same group of cars that make up a train, so it appears random to my operators.

        Further, I sometimes swap waybills from one car card to another to change things even more. I generally do this about once a year.

        I hope this helps...

        Paul
      • Jim McHenry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
          Keith

          I participate in an operating session at a friends home once per
          month. At the end of each session it is the duty of each operator to
          change the way bills for each industry in their operating area. Part
          of what keeps each 4th session from being a repeat is the set up for
          the next session after the current operating session. Jeff requests
          that a card or two at each industry location not be flipped and
          therefore the car stays at that industry for an extra operating
          session. This introduces a bit of randomness in the sessions. Jeff
          does rebalance when necessary, however, he has an extremely large
          layout (20+ operators per session until he gets the Iron Range done
          then it will be 30) so a total rebalance is a huge project for him.
          Sometimes when one of the two major yards get cramed, he'll just send
          an extra of to the other yard. Of course, the overall size of the
          layout tends to mask a lot of the repetitive nature of the 4 cycles
          because there are usually intermediate stops between the car's delivery
          to an industry for loading and the delivery for unloading.
        • Keith Hayes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
            Paul:

            Exactly what I was wondering!