Re: [NWNG-Sn3Group] Re: C&S mogul pilot lowering???

  • Paul Vaughn
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
      Robert: Look at the Kadee sheet as they have several couplers the have offset heads. Don't use the complete coupler just the shank. I know the #6 & 7s have offset heads.

      Paul

      --- On Sun, 9/21/08, Robert R Harmen, D.D.S. <unitcoaltrains@...> wrote:

      --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Vaughn <pv_sn3@...> wrote:

      > Robert: It depends on how much the lowering requires. The first thing
      to try is an offset head on a Kadee coupler.

      I use the scale HO Kadee (158, 58, 153, 156), and there is no offset
      shcnk in either direction. Most they do offer as offset are for a box
      that is too low. My number 5 is way too high.

      Thanks,

      Robert
      .

    • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
        --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, Paul Vaughn <pv_sn3@...> wrote:

        > Robert: Look at the Kadee sheet as they have several couplers the
        have offset heads. Don't use the complete coupler just the shank. I
        know the #6 & 7s have offset heads.

        First off, I like the scale couplers, not the original 5 type.
        Second, all full size Kadees are either centerset, normal, or have an
        underset that drop the coupler only the thickness of the shank and
        have full size heads. This pilot is a full 3mm too high, the coupler
        actually goes over a properly set coupler.

        What I need to know, since my engine came painted (used) is, is the
        coupler pocket a seperate casting from the pilot? I don't want the
        try and twist it off if the casting is the pocket and beam as one
        piece (the nearest one I could look at is on the front range, 250+
        miles away!). Darryl????

        Thanks,

        Robert
      • Paul Vaughn
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
          Robert: I just checked my #6 & 22 both have a soldered on coupler casting. Mine were set for the correct height with a dummy coupler installed. I have installed a full size S coupler # 802 on the tender. I will cut the shank of a 802 to fit the front casting when I paint the engines.

          Paul

          --- On Sun, 9/21/08, Robert R Harmen, D.D.S. <unitcoaltrains@...> wrote:

           This pilot is a full 3mm too high, the coupler
          actually goes over a properly set coupler.
          Has some one messed with the pilot?

          I don't want the try and twist it off if the casting is the pocket and beam as one piece.
          You should try unsoldering the casting not twisting it off.

          Thanks,

          Robert
          .

        • Vincent Pellitteri
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
            Sorry Robert, I misread your message.

            Vinny
          • onagerla
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
              Three no. 5s and one pilot between them. It's coupler is about about
              1.5mm too high. Since there is no correct wooden pilot available that
              is correct I build my own (thinking about doing a set of etching). So
              until I get to this engine the 1.5mm indiscretion will have to work.

              If you have a lot of room between the railtops and the bottom edge of
              the cow catcher you can CAREFully bend the frame to lower the coupler
              but it is unlikely this will be enough in your case. I have not
              disassembled a no. 5 pilot to know for certain that you can unsolder
              the coupler pocket - some engines (C&S Overland) you can some you
              can't. Also keep in mind these engines occationally have issues with
              the pilot truck so any frame adjustments need to bear in mind the
              possibility of creating a short on tight curved.

              Derrell

              --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R Harmen, D.D.S."