Re: Sn3 Craftsman Kits on eBay + Brass Question

  • shakeyjake45colt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
      Gerry,

      Get a straightedge and some square files. Try your hand at cutting
      out a baggage door from brass! By the way what are you asking for it?

      Jake Johnson.

      --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, usairman737@... wrote:

      > I've placed a couple S-scale kits of potential interest on eBay
      today:

      > ** Banta/B&S Backwoods Loco Repair Shed craftsman kit, Item
      270208370424
      > I bellieve this stone and brick loco structure, one of 200
      produced, is quite rare, but it's not within my current scope of
      interest.

      > ** Building & Structure Co. Grain Elevator laser-cut styrene
      craftsman kit , Item 270208364751

      > I have a "brass situation" I'm trying to solve. I was going to
      list on eBay today an unpainted PSC D&RGW baggage car, complete with
      generator and fuel supply for San Juan service. Condition is
      excellent, no tarnish. It had been in the clear plastic wrap since I
      purchased it. When I removed the wrap, I discovered that the down-
      side-in-the-box baggage door was missing!

      > Now I can make a styrene replacement that can't be distinguished
      from the brass original, or I can cast a replacement in resin, but
      neither will then be "lifetime brass". Should I sell it "as is" and
      take the selling price hit, or go ahead and fix it? Maybe I should
      airbrush it first? Apply decals? It's too "modern" for my module
      timeframe.

      > Suggestions appreciated, as it really is a beautiful and very well-
      detailed car.

      > Gerry Cole

    • onagerla
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Or if you need one made you might find someone who is "comfortable"
        working in brass. Ah-hmm....

        I am in brass mode right now and it might be good to catch someone in
        that condition; if that is your inclination. There is always a way to
        negotiate this sort of thing especially if you have all the info
        needed to make such a part and willing to do some horse tradin'.
        Naturally I would encourage you to get your feet wet in brass
        modeling first. But it's not everyones cup o' tea...

        Derrell

        --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "shakeyjake45colt"