headlamp lens replacements

  • John Hartline
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hey gang,

      I am busily installing Tsunami decoders in my West Side shays (getting
      ready for my open house this month) and while I'm at it, I am also
      replacing the lights with surface mount led's. I have found several
      missing glass lenses for both headlight and back up light. Does anyone
      know of a source for these in Sn3?

      By the way, if you haven't tried the surface mount golden white leds
      from Richmond controls, you're missing a treat. These things are tiny
      and easily replace the incandescent bulbs (they look better too). The
      only problem with them is that they are so small, they will slip right
      through the bulb opening. I have had to put a small piece 1/16" shrink
      tubing at the led end to hold them in place.

      Anyway, back to the grind.

      Thanks in advance,

      John Hartline
    • rhelmod@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
        John: I have yet to install Tsunami sound decoders in my shays, but I have
        the digitrax system up and running on the small layout. I think you can still
        get the headlight casting and lenses from PBL. I just got one for my #10 shay
        that I just purchased this year. Any tips on installing the tsunami decoders.
        I plan to use the existing metal edge port speakers for them.
        Bob Helm

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
          Hey Bob,

          The Tsunami's fit beautifully inside the boiler and the edge-ported speakers
          from PBL work great. They fit in the firebox leaving plenty of room for
          neat wiring. Just take your time and work carefully. You will be well
          satisfied with the results. I have done 4 so far and every one has started
          right up when placed on the programming track. I'm using Decoder Pro from
          JMRI to do the programming and that makes the process even easier. Once you
          have programmed the first Shay, the subsequent ones take less than 5 minutes
          to program in 212 CV's. I wouldn't do it any other way. Oh and the
          auto-chuff feature sounds as good as cam driven chuff.

          Best Regards,

          John Hartline

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
            Any one going to the National NG Convention in Portland this year? I am trying to find out who will be staying at the Quality Inn & Suites, 738 Main St., South Portland.

            Also I can share the room with someone that doesn't have a room. Contact me off line.

            Paul