New DVD...

  • pbscoles
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi guys,

      For those of you who ordered my new scenery DVD, they were shipped on
      Nov. 1st, so you should have them shortly.

      If you haven't heard about the DVD, check it out, watch a preview,
      and purchase it if you wish, at my website -

      www.paulscoles.com

      Thanks...

      Paul
    • pbscoles
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 19, 2008
        Hi folks,

        I've just finished a new DVD, titled "Running Trains - Anatomy of an
        Operating Session". It's a one hour instructional video, and is loaded
        with information about operation. It was shot during one of my monthly
        operating get-togethers.

        If you're interested and want more information, go here -

        http://www.paulscoles.com

        Thanks...

        Paul
      • Jim Courtney
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22, 2008
          I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.

          What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
          rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.

          Jim
        • Paul Scoles
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23, 2008
            Hi Jim,

              I'll look forward to your order...

              Good idea about a video on photography.  Let me think about it for awhile.

              Maybe combine photography with something else?  I dunno...

              Paul

            I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.

            What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
            rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.

            Jim

          • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
              --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Courtney" <jcourtmd@...>
              wrote:

              > I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.
              >
              > What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
              > rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.
              >
              > Jim

              Actually, I asked Paul to do this a couple years ago! 8*)

              Robert
            • Paul Scoles
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                Robert, Jim, and others...

                  What sort of info are you looking for in a photography video?  How to get good results with an inexpensive camera?  Or perhaps how to use pro gear?  Or...?

                  The biggest thing in photography isn't which fancy camera you use, or whether you have mastered Photo Shop.  It's how to use lights properly.

                  Anyway, I'll be interested in any feedback from the group...

                  Paul

                > I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.
                >
                > What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
                > rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.
                >
                > Jim

                Actually, I asked Paul to do this a couple years ago! 8*)

                Robert

              • Marc LaChey
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                  Paul, as a long time film shooter and recent convert to digital, here
                  is what I think would help.

                  1) Lighting basics...........is color temp a factor any longer?
                  Placement?

                  2) Angle of the shot? Shoting upward? Composition

                  3) Tricks for depth of field......a discussion of Helicon focus perhaps?

                  4) Digital editing basics. How do you add smoke to the smokestack?
                  Remove unwanted items?

                  5) use of a tripod?

                  6) Would try to cover use of a point and shoot as well as an slr style
                  camera.

                  Marc LaChey
                  Richardson, TX

                  On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Paul Scoles wrote:

                  > Robert, Jim, and others...
                  >
                  > What sort of info are you looking for in a photography video? How
                  > to get good results with an inexpensive camera? Or perhaps how to
                  > use pro gear? Or...?
                  >
                  > The biggest thing in photography isn't which fancy camera you use,
                  > or whether you have mastered Photo Shop. It's how to use lights
                  > properly.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I'll be interested in any feedback from the group...
                  >
                  > Paul
                  >
                  > --- On Mon, 8/25/08, Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
                  > <unitcoaltrains@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Robert R Harmen, D.D.S. <unitcoaltrains@...>
                  > Subject: [NWNG-Sn3Group] Re: New DVD...
                  > To: NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com
                  > Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 3:58 PM
                  >
                  > --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim Courtney" <jcourtmd@.. .>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.
                  > >
                  > > What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
                  > > rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >

                  > Actually, I asked Paul to do this a couple years ago! 8*)
                  >
                  > Robert

                • LARRY KLOSE
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Yes. Modern digital cameras, even the cheap ones, take some of the guess
                    work out of operating the camera itself--even compensating for color balance
                    to some degree. But how to light the scenes would be great. Some basic
                    photo shop skills like how to add smoke and steam would be nice, too. I've
                    always admired the great photography like Paul's and others and it's the
                    lighting that makes it impressive.

                    That's my $0.02.

                    Larry

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                      Larry, and the gang...

                        After receiving several e-mails urging me to consider a photo DVD, I'm now giving it serious thought.

                        I'll let you all know soon...

                        Paul

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                        Hi Marc,

                          Thanks for the ideas.  They're all good...  A number of people have written, saying they'd like such a DVD, so I'll be giving it serious thought over the next few days.

                          I'm not sure if anyone has done such a video in the model railroad field up to now, so maybe it is a viable project.  We'll see...

                          Paul

                        Paul, as a long time film shooter and recent convert to digital, here
                        is what I think would help.

                        1) Lighting basics...... .....is color temp a factor any longer?
                        Placement?

                        2) Angle of the shot? Shoting upward? Composition

                        3) Tricks for depth of field......a discussion of Helicon focus perhaps?

                        4) Digital editing basics. How do you add smoke to the smokestack?
                        Remove unwanted items?

                        5) use of a tripod?

                        6) Would try to cover use of a point and shoot as well as an slr style
                        camera.

                        Marc LaChey
                        Richardson, TX

                        On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Paul Scoles wrote:

                        > Robert, Jim, and others...
                        >
                        > What sort of info are you looking for in a photography video? How
                        > to get good results with an inexpensive camera? Or perhaps how to
                        > use pro gear? Or...?
                        >
                        > The biggest thing in photography isn't which fancy camera you use,
                        > or whether you have mastered Photo Shop. It's how to use lights
                        > properly.
                        >
                        > Anyway, I'll be interested in any feedback from the group...
                        >
                        > Paul
                        >
                        > --- On Mon, 8/25/08, Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
                        > <unitcoaltrains@ aol.com> wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Robert R Harmen, D.D.S. <unitcoaltrains@ aol.com>
                        > Subject: [NWNG-Sn3Group] Re: New DVD...
                        > To: NWNG-Sn3Group@ yahoogroups. com
                        > Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 3:58 PM
                        >
                        > --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim Courtney" <jcourtmd@.. .>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I will likely order one with the next paycheck, Paul.
                        > >
                        > > What if really wish you would consider is a DVD demonstrating model
                        > > rairoad photography, as you do it better than most anyone.
                        > >
                        > > Jim
                        > >

                        > Actually, I asked Paul to do this a couple years ago! 8*)
                        >
                        > Robert

                      • dlhuffman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                          Paul,

                          I too think such a DVD would pay for itself. Especially if you title it for
                          for general model building rather than "Photograph your model railroad".

                          Show the setup, take a photo and paste it into your timeline, and repeat.

                          I would make it for digital photos rather than 6 by 4.5 Hasselblad cameras.

                          Darryl Huffman
                          Anchorage, Alaska
                          dlhuffman@...

                          2 hour tree making DVD available at:

                          http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/index.html

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                            I'm setting my money aside for it ....
                             Mike Conder
                            Paul Scoles wrote:

                              Thanks for the ideas.  They're all good...  A number of people have written, saying they'd like such a DVD, so I'll be giving it serious thought over the next few days
                            .

                          • LARRY KLOSE
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 26, 2008
                              I've asked others (who write for the model press) to consider such articles
                              and some of them feel like they're giving away their "secrets." Odd,
                              since they'd write an article about building a model in a moment.

                              And something for the digital age would be nice. There's some older
                              articles in the model press that were good for the film era but might be
                              dated for digital.

                              Larry