Glass for the cab

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
      I know this topic has come up before, but I am at the point where I am
      about to put glass in the cab of the PBL # 345 that I am painting.

      The Evergreen Sheet Styrene seems a little thick. The thinnest I could
      find is .015. I have thought of the microscope glass, but I hear it is
      hard to work with.

      Does anyone have another source of material that they have used with
      success for cab glass? What does PBL use?

      Thanks

      Bill Beverly
    • Clark Womack
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2005
        At 05:26 AM 6/25/2005 +0000, you wrote:
        > What does PBL use?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Bill Beverly

        PBL uses microscope cover slide glass.
      • Larry Klose
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2005
          I use slide glass. I have a glass kit I got years ago that has the glass
          and a cutter, and helpful instructions. I'd say where it came from but I
          recently moved and don't know where it is right now. I did a PBL RGS #42
          and it came out great. It's not hard to handle, the biggest hazard besides
          losing a pane or two during sizing is edge cuts, which are easily avoidable
          with reasonable care.

          Real Glass really looks good... .

          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2005
            Hi Bill,

            Best thing I can think of is to order the glass kit from PBL. It comes with the glass and a diamond scribe. I cut mine on a 4" x 4" cutting mat. This is the only thing this mat is used for. Any tiny bump or such will crack the glass when you try and cut it. I will wear non-latex gloves when handling the glass so not to get finger prints on them. I attach the glass with Micro-Sol's liquid glass stuff. It look like Elmer's Glue but dries clear and hold the glass in place very tightly.

            Hope this helps,

            Steve

            PS: If you cut a piece for a large window and it crack into three or four pieces - you can use them. With care you put the pieces in place and you a great looking cracked window.

            Bill <traintalk@...> wrote:
            I know this topic has come up before, but I am at the point where I am
            about to put glass in the cab of the PBL # 345 that I am painting.

            The Evergreen Sheet Styrene seems a little thick. The thinnest I could
            find is .015. I have thought of the microscope glass, but I hear it is
            hard to work with.

            Does anyone have another source of material that they have used with
            success for cab glass? What does PBL use?

            Thanks

            Bill Beverly

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ray Lauffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
              I got a kit like that from Clover House years ago.
              http://www.cloverhouse.com/

              Ray L.

              --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Klose" <lklose@c...>