Trees

  • Bob Webber
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2000
      While out and about today, I picked up something you might find
      interesting. The manufacturer is Lemax - the makers of one series of those
      Christmas Villages (the ones that Bachman made their 2-6-0 On30 for).

      The item is a 6-7" Dry tree. It represents a deciduous tree in winter.
      Basically, it looks like wire wrapped in some paper or coated somehow. 4
      main branches, and then a bunch of finer ones as you go up the tree. The
      trunk is a kind of light grey. It would work as an aspen, my thoughts were
      to use them as the basis for trees, using some foam or other material for
      the leaves.

      The things are considered Christmas acc., so they are from 50% to 70% off
      (retail for around $1.99 at full price) - so you can afford a few of them.
      I got mine at a local Frank's stored (I'm not sure of their coverage).

      While there, check out the plaster buildings. While most are not to any
      scale, or are too big, too cartoonish, etc. some would make fine background
      buildings - again, the plaster buildings were 50% off, so for $2.50, I got
      a building to put in the background (perhaps surrounded by new trees).

      Also, they have lights (clear) that can be used to light structures,
      evergreen bottle brush trees (that can be modified), bushes, etc. The
      figures won't work at all, but some other detail sets will - like the nice
      street lamps that are made for that size stuff. Check it out...

      BW
    • tom beaton
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
        ----- Hey Steve...In my back yard, 90 ft trees are the norm. From your photo, you have them out front with all the little trees in the rear, and they look out of place by themselves.
        Have a look at what Paul Scoles did with the two large tree I built for him, and build these into a grove with shorter trees around them. I think it will improve the look. Tom Beaton

        G scale train Ho scale model train Model train n scale
        G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

      • railwayeng
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
          I make a couple trees every time I'm inspired (rr's take 1000's)
          and I'm never sure what size to make them. I made a few 90-100ft
          trees yesterday evening and they dwarf everything.
          This size thing has me perplexed. How do you handle size?
          I would like to make some tall redwoods but even these 90 ft
          trees make me wonder. Here's a picture it shows it better
          than I can explain.

          http://www.railwayeng.com/hatch/pics/t0081.jpg

          I have a couple that are 150 foot tall but I haven't put them
          up yet. Trying to decide if I should cut them down.
          I've seen pictures of Paul's trees and his seem right but
          I can't see the over-all effect that they have.
          Sure would like some opinions on this.
          -Steve Hatch
          -Ukiah CA
        • Randy Scott
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
            Good Morning,

            I suspect the problem is one of viewpoint. Standing on the 1:1 Earth,
            we would usually only see the trunks and lower branches of a full-
            sized tree as we focus our vision on the buildings and trains. On the
            model railroad, we just about always have a viewpoint from a much
            higher perspective--almost as if we are in a hot-air balloon--so we
            see much more of the model tree than we do of the 1:1 tree, and it
            strikes us as "not right."

            If you look at the photo's of Paul's trees, they are not near full-
            size, but they "look right" because they fit what we think a tree
            should look like.

            "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards is a great
            book that discusses how what we think (left-side) something should
            look like influences how we see it. By training ourselves to use the
            right-side (and as a left-brained mathematician, I need a lot of
            training!) we can learn to represent things as they are--or in the
            model railroad world, we can learn how to effectively satisfy what we
            think should be there.

            On Tom Franks' old On3 Westside layout, he had a forest of huge,
            well, trunks basically with a few branches, that was very effective
            because the 1:48 ground level was up near eye level, and the trees
            disappeared up out of the viewer's sight line.

            All that said, it looks like the layout is progressing nicely Steve
            and our trees are beautiful.

            Have fun,

            Randy Scott

            P.S. Of course, one can avoid the whole tree issue by modeling the
            desert, Antarctica, or perhaps the moon!

          • bagustaf@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
              Hi Steve,

              The dilemma we experience is the conflict between a scale or almost scale
              height tree and our all too small mountains. As Randy Scott pointed our we have
              to "selectively compress" scenery elements to convey the illusion of the
              scence. Some scenes, i.e. Colorado 14,000 foot mountains and the trees on them,
              require a different approach than a sea side scene. Just as the horizontal foot
              print of our layouts is never large enough neither is the vertical space needed
              to truly convey the size of the Rocky Mountains. Since we can't have scale
              mountains, we have to compress the height of the trees. Lee Gustafson

            • tom beaton
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
                Hey Steve....Make sure you get to see Pauls layout, and the rest. You will see some great modelling. See you there ...Tom

                G scale model train Ho scale trains N scale trains

              • Tom Troughton, MMR
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
                  Hi Steve,

                  Here's three URL's to shots of some 120' trees on my layout that are within
                  my town of Tall Timbers. At first I too thought they were too tall, but
                  after working them into the ground and locating them so that they provided
                  "view blocks or pathways" I started liking them.

                  http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt492/Images/Bakery/Bakery1405.JPG
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt490/Images/Trees/Trees534.jpg
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt490/Images/Trees/Trees525.jpg

                  Maybe the trick to trees is having more than just a few of them. You might
                  be able to create a better feeling by installing more of them in clusters or
                  groupings, maybe around a central park or memorial that you may wish to
                  create.

                  Tom
                  Please visit my model railroading and photography web pages at:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt491/home.html
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt495/photohome.html
                • railwayeng
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
                    --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "tom beaton" <grampop@...> wrote:

                    > ----- Hey Steve...In my back yard, 90 ft trees are the norm. From
                    your photo, you have them out front with all the little trees in the
                    rear, and they look out of place by themselves.
                    > Have a look at what Paul Scoles did with the two large tree I
                    built for him, and build these into a grove with shorter trees around
                    them. I think it will improve the look. Tom Beaton

                    Hi Tom. My back yard has some large trees also. They tower way over
                    my two story house. Your right that I put these first few in the
                    front and they should be back a bit and clustered.

                    my back yard:
                    http://www.railwayeng.com/hatch/pics/t10.jpg

                    Perhaps I'll get a chance to see Paul's work in person at the
                    symposium. I guess it is a matter of perspective since the "mountains"
                    are really really short. Several good thoughts in the posts that I
                    appreciate guys.
                    I guess I'll perservere, build more and see what comes of it.
                    -Steve Hatch
                  • Andy May
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                      --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "railwayeng" <hatch@...> wrote:

                      Steve,

                      I'm not sure the size thing with your 90' trees is the problem. I
                      think its the location. When the RR was built they would have cleared
                      everything in its path (unless maybe if its a logging RR). That's why
                      we normally see small trees close to the line in steam days and
                      especially so close to the buildings. Just how big could a tree have
                      got between the RR being built and the era you are modelling (40-50
                      years growth maybe) after somebody had decided to just let it grow. It
                      would have to be a fast growing tree and to have started right after
                      the RR was built to get to 90' in 50 years. Have a look at the link
                      for some prototype data.

                      http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ID=127

                      Andy May
                    • Pat Turner
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                        Good point. In looking into modeling the Georgetown, CO area you cannot go
                        by what it looks like today. Lots of trees there now. But, 1880-1920 it
                        looked like a desert waste land with large trees being 15' tall! What trees
                        were not cut for the RR were cut for mine timbers. Part of the RRs profit
                        was from shipping in lumber for the mines. They would not have done that if
                        there were any trees still left...

                        Pat Turner
                        http://www.TurnerModelWorks.com
                        TurnerModelWorks@...

                      • William Busacca
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                          Steve and Tom

                          I have just started to experiment with big trees for Dolores, CO. I finally
                          figured out how to make decent Cottonwood trees. I use sagebrush stems with
                          foam covered supertree branches hot glued to the sagebrush.

                          I now have 50' to 60' trees in the foreground of Dolores, and it makes a
                          huge difference in the "mood" of Dolores. I use the low temp glue gun for
                          foam so that I can thin down the glue with my fingers without getting
                          burned. I have the trees in small clusters to interrupt the view
                          selectively. It seems to create the effect I wanted.

                          Bill Busacca

                          _____

[...]

                          ale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+scale+tr
                          ains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=f19Q3X9pY2AZp3CHkNWYZw> scale train

                          Ho
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+train&w
                          2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+s
                          cale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=F6asK7Ix0wVnB74PfHYYcg> scale
                          model train

                          Model
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=G+scale+train&w2
                          =Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+sc
                          ale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=qBgsM4EoFI8MvQKulYZ_zQ> train n
                          scale

                          =Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+sc
                          ale+trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=xeLKBZkBSB-tQWBeD7HRnQ> scale
                          model train

                          Ho
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+trains&w1=G+scale+train&w2=Ho+
                          scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+scale+
                          trains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=0ybvhtrqTgbqmDcSkOOP1w> scale
                          trains

                          cale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=G+scale+model+train&w5=Ho+scale+t
                          rains&w6=N+scale+trains&c=6&s=136&.sig=thUHjhzywK2ZJIYcShcTTQ> scale trains

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "NWNG-Sn3Group
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NWNG-Sn3Group> " on the web.

                          _____

                        • JD
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
                            --- In NWNG-Sn3Group@yahoogroups.com, "William Busacca"
                            <lynn.bill@...> wrote:

                            I finally figured out how to make decent Cottonwood trees.

                            Bill,

                            How about some photos of those trees? Id love to see what they look
                            like. Thanks, Jeff.
                          • Paul Vaughn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                                  Why don't you use Butterfly bush ends? Now is the time to harvest them and they are FREE. You only have to paint them.

                              Paul