Receiving Suspicious Messages Lately

  • Tom Troughton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      Within the last week, I've received a couple of "strange" appearing emails from member's that I
      thoughto I recognized their email names.

      This morning I received another one from "webmaster," with the subject line reading, "Of Service".

      I have my Outlook Express to highlight emails with attachments in Red. Both these messages appeared
      in Red, but they did not have the paperclip icon indicating an attachment was included.

      Rather than open the messages with the Enter key or double clicking on them, I used the Outlook
      Express "Preview" option. The computer went instantly into virus detection mode and alerted me that
      it had detected a virus. Here's the information that came with the affected emails......

      IE5\8TNKTEF\Target.pif

      It continued on to read: w32.Klez.Hxmm (I substituted an "x" for the "@" symbol because the
      addition of the @ causes the line to become a URL.

      PLEASD DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLICK THIS EMAIL ADDRESS BECAUSE IT WILL PROBABLY CAUSE PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!

      I'm not trying to scare anyone, but just thought I'd pass this along to the group to alert them of
      the messages. If you have the option of changing the color of the text for messages with
      attachments, I would urge all of you to do it now and be suspicious of any that show up as
      highlighted, but without any signs of attachments.

      Take care,

      Tom

      Please check out my C&TT RR web pages for interesting modeling articles.
      http://home.earthlink.net/~tomt491/Home.html