Re: Burns Canyon/Dolores River Preview Shots

  • vulturenest1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2002
      Dave Woodrell wrote:

      >...after hearing of a new product from Woodland Scenics called "Water
      Effects" I
      > decided to have a go at it. I'm pleased with the preliminary
      results

      Dave,

      Looks nice. I've tried the same stuf but haven't gotten back to it
      since I applied it on a friend's layout. Did you have to use white
      paint for the highlights? I've heard that the Water Effects dries
      clear, not whitish.

      Thanks for sharing,
      Mike Conder
    • Art Cominio
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2002
        >From: "dwoodrell" <dwoodrell@...>

        Looks good Dave! It's nice having a point man plowing the difficult ground
        before I get there!

        I have a verbal update for you (and others) concerning my structure
        progress. I had the good fortune to acquire some buildings that were scratch
        built by Jan Rons, and that inspired me to crank out a number of structure
        kits and small scratch projects of my own. I now have all the Ridgway yard
        & depot buildings on the layout. I also have the Placerville depot, and I'm
        scratch building the bathrooms and warehouses.

        Nothing yet for Vance Junction, and the Ophir buildings are scratch projects
        that Jan started but never completed. No stock pens yet either.

        I have the Rico depot, engine house, and all the outbuildings except for the
        Rico Section House which Joe Brooke took a shine to, so I gave it to him for
        his layout. (It was scratchbuilt by his long time friend Jan Rons. It really
        is a nice little building, and I'm surprised nobody makes a kit.

        Unfortunately, Jan's Pro Patria Mill is lost to the world, and it is the one
        *MAJOR* scratch building project left on my list.

        All in all, I'm pretty happy with the progress on my 14 month old railroad.
        After I add some more scenery and details, I'll upload some photos. My
        near-term goal is to have a presentable railroad and operation clinic for
        the Cocoa Beach meet in January. (I declined to participate in the NMRA
        National next month in Ft. Lauderdale. Other than helping out a friend who
        is on the tour, I don't even plan to attend.)

        Looking back, I'm actually a little surprised at the progress I've made in a
        little over a year.

        Art Cominio

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2002
          Hi Dave - I'm glad that I was successful in persuading you to
          upload these latest pictures!

          Further to Art's inquiry, I presume the darker colors
          were painted on the base, and then the white either
          mixed in to the 'Water Effects' - or highlighted on
          the surface - or...(??)

          In any case, I think it looks really effective...great job!

          - jim
        • djvj224
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2002
            Great Pics Dave!

            I think the water looks good! While I have been comfortable
            doing "flat" water...I have been reluctant to try the rapid stuff.
            I for one would be interested in your method. This scene fits right
            in with the fine work on the rest of your layout. Thanks for sharing
            the pictures!

            Doug

          • trains4ms@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2002
              Hi Dave,

              The water looks good. I can almost "hear" it moving. Thanks for putting up
              the early photos and I'm sure we are all waiting for the finished scene.

              Mike Schwab
              San Lorenzo Southern