DCC Doubleheading

  • cominio
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      DCC Users,

      I'm looking for advice on the techniques for matching the speed of two locomotives for multi-unit operation.

      Regards,
      Art Cominio

    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi Art - probably by using custom speed curves, CV's 67-94
        inclusive, in the Lenz LE080XS decoders.

        I personally prefer a 'straight line' speed curve instead of
        the factory default which is an exponential curve; thus, I
        have just copied the Soundtraxx DSD default values in
        for the 28 CV's, as the DSD default IS a 'straight line'
        speed curve.

        It was suggested to me to try and use one track of a
        siding as your Programming track; that way, you can
        have two locos traveling side-by-side and see where
        the variations are. If you're going to get it EXACT, it
        may be a little tedious...but you'll only have to do it
        once!

        - jim

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          Jim,

          Let's see if I understand. Do you scale your speed curves so each loco runs at about the same speed for the same throttle setting?

          Art

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi Art - Ha! You credit me with TOO much enthusiasm!
            No, I simply insert a 'straight line' custom speed
            curve on all the locomotives, and then adjust CV 2
            (start voltage) so that they just start to move on
            speed step 1.

            My K's are all PBL (except for one SS) with the
            same gearbox & motor so the speeds are "close
            'nuff" for this cowboy...the C's will obviously be
            a little different, but it is my through freights that
            are occasionally double-headed. And my operating
            system is programmed to assign just the bigger
            engines for the through freights.

            - jim