Re: Repercussions 31

  • Jazhara Onaga
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
      You use the normal NWN and NWN 2 disc to run the modules, or in the
      case of NWN, the disc of the latest expansions (usually the game
      tells you if you have the wrong disc to run the game in, when you try
      to start it). You shouldn't need any kind of secondary program,
      actually. Maybe you accidentally downloaded a Multiplayer module or a
      a Persistant World module, and it's asking you for the Gamespy Arcade
      client? Or were you maybe trying to run the module files directly? If
      yes, that's not possible. You open them in the actual game.

      First you download them and make sure that you have any other files
      that might be needed for them. If the mod is hosted on the NWVault,
      it usually has links to all the haks that are needed for playing the
      module, too.

      You also have to pay attention to the compatibility of the mod. If
      you have NWN and both expansions ("Shadows of Undrentine" and "Hordes
      of the Underdark") you won't have to worry about that too much, but
      if you don't have the expansions, you can only play the mods that
      don't require them. On the vault it's usually listed towards the top
      of the detail sheet.

      Also, pay attention to the line "Number Players". The options there
      are "Single Player", "Multiplayer", and "Persistent World" (I think
      "Persistent World" is listed there). Some modules might be available
      both for Single and Multiplayer, in which case you should pay special
      attention to what the author says what the player character should be
      like, as you might have to be higher level in Single Player than you
      would need to be in Multiplayer. If it's just "Multiplayer", you
      might not be able to play it (or rather, it would probably be too
      hard unless you are not of a higher level than is suggested for the
      mdoule) unless you know some people who can play it online with you.
      "Persistent World" takes Multiplayer a step farther, making you play
      with dozens of players in a set world as a community. There are
      different types of PWs. Roleplay, Hack'n'Slash, Sillyness. You must
      pay attention to what is listed on the websites and module pages for
      those. I don't know too much about playing PWs, as I never tried it
      myself.

      Open the archive (usually *.zip or *.rar, but sometimes also *.7z or
      more exotic archive types. If you don't have a program to open those,
      I suggest using WinRar:

      http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

      Download the trial version. After the trial period, it will ask you
      to register and all that every time you open it. You can just click
      that message away, and the whole program will still work. You don't
      really have to buy it. I've been using it for ages now. And I have
      yet to find an archive file type it does not open.

      Extract those files in the appropriate folders.

      For NWN files, you go to the install folder, and put the the files in
      the appropriate places:

      *.bik goes into Movies.
      *.bmu goes into Music
      *.hak goes into hak
      *.tlk goes into tlk
      *.erf goes into erf
      *.2da goes into Override
      *.mod goes into module
      *.bic (character file) goes into localvault

      If one or the other folder does not yet exist in the install folder,
      just create it. Also, be sure to check if the files didn't land in a
      subdirectory in the different folders. If they did, you can simply
      move the files from that folder into the main folder it's supposed to
      be in.

      On a side note, you may not want to keep unused folders or textfiles
      or anything along those lines in the "hak" folder. The only thing
      that should be stored in there should be *.hak files, and only in the
      main "hak" folder. The game doesn't like it if there's other things
      that don't belong there stored in there, and might misbehave. The
      other folders are pretty forgiving (for example, I tend to keep all
      the readme files of the different modules in the "module" folder,
      some even in sub-folders of that folder, and it doesn't interfere
      with the game in any way), but the "hak" folder is a mean tempered
      mistress, so to say. So, nothing other than *.hak files should be in
      that one.

      Other modules might come with an auto installer. In that case you
      won't have to worry about it, once the correct destination has been
      selected.

      For NWN 2 files, I'm not as experienced. The folders are still
      basically the same, but they no longer go into those in the main
      directory. To place those custom files, you go to the "My Documents"
      folder, and find the "Neverwinter Nights 2" folder in there. In there
      you will find the folders in which the different custom content is
      placed. It's pretty much like NWN from here on, only that if you
      install a file in the "override" folder, and it lands in a sub-folder
      in there, you do not move the files into the main "override" folder
      (this confused me at first too, because I was used to folders messing
      everything up from NWN). Also, some modules come as "campaigns", and
      will create a sub-folder in the "campaigns" folder. Leave those
      folders alone too, they're fine.

      To play a module in NWN, you simply start the game, and "New Game".
      You will see the menu that lets you select the campaigns. There also
      should be a button saying something along the lines of "Custom
      modules" or "Custom campaigns" (I don't know the exact words. I have
      been playing the German version, and only recently got the English
      version, but haven't yet gotten a chance to actually play it.). Click
      that, and you will get a list of the modules in your "modules"
      folder. Select one, and you will see a description of the mod at the
      right in the box (that is, if the author took the time to write
      something for the box. Usually they do, bu there's always some who
      don't. But usually they are always described on the vault itself, so
      you can read that beforehand, in case the mod isn't described in that
      box in-game). Choose one to play, and press "start module" (I think
      there are two buttons. One that gives you the option to start it and
      create a new character for it, and one that lets you select from the
      list of already created characters. This is useful if you want to
      play a module from a series, and want to use the character you used
      in past modules of that series. For being able to do that however,
      you have to have saved the character in the past [there's a button in
      the version of the main menu you get when in the middle of a game. I
      think the button is to the top right, and says something along the
      lines of "Export Character (file)"].). Tada, you've started a module!

      For NWN 2, I don't know it exactly. I think it is similar to how you
      start custom modules in NWN 1. In any case it should be pretty
      straight forward.

      I hope this was able to help you. Feel free to ask if you have any
      more questions. :)

      - :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

      --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <sg.dsl@...> wrote:

      > Jazhara I was wondering how you run these mods. Do you need the NWN
      > disk in the drive or is there something else you use. It asks for
      > some type of program to run it but I have no idea which one is
      needed.
      > There's alot of cool looking mods for both NWN & NWN2 that I might
      > want to try.
      >
      > Thanks Donna
      >
      > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Jazhara Onaga" <Tifet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ADwR is a very nice set of modules, but they're also mature
      modules,
      > > and not for people who can not face risque topics. The thing that
      > > turns most people off of it is right at the beginning, and does
      > > involve Vico. You later have a chance to get an explanation from
      Vico
      > > in the second module, but it's not easy to get that explanation.
      > >
      > > ADwR is quite twisted, and does involve quite a bit of sex.
      Everyone
      > > really has to decide for themselves if they do or don't like it.
      It's
      > > everyone's decision.
      > >
      > > Personally, I do like ADwR.
      > >
      > > Some of the other people here can tell you more about ADwR, as
      far as
      > > I remember, should you be interested. It might be good to get
      other
      > > opinions before trying it. Or maybe you could just want to read
      the
      > > descriptions, or just try the modules. It's up to you:
      > >
      > > http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4869 <<<
      > > Module 1
      > >
      > > http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4870 <<<
      > > Module 2
      > >

      > > - :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
      > >

      > > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "jette_fuxfell" <fuxfell@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Jaz, wow, that was one long post ;)
      > > >
      > > > Glad you liked it. You're right, of course, facing Bishop
      herself
      > > is
      > > > the only way for Chantal. Not only could she not count on
      anyone
      > > else
      > > > NOT to try and kill him, she also would not want anyone else
      > > risking
      > > > to be killed by the ranger.
      > > >
      > > > I've never played ADwR, so I did not know the story. But it
      sounds
      > > > interesting ;)
      > > >

      > > > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Jazhara Onaga" <Tifet@>

      Repercussions
      > > 30

      I'm
      > > sure
      > > > helping.

      > > she
      > > person
      > > > her,
      > > > against

      > > couldn't
      > > but
      > > > conviction
      > > 2" (a
      > > and
      > > > you
      > > that
      > > in
      > > him,
      > > (you
      > > > before
      > > the
      > > assumed
      > > > meet
      > > > thing

      > > > Only
      > > find
      > > *Vico*

      > > of

      > > not
      > > > see

      > > > actions,
      > > > that

      > > > were
      > > were
      > > > so
      But
      > > > flu

      > > very

      > > awaiting

      > > "alya_elvawiel" <jingersnap@>

      > > it,
      > > > way

      > > You're

      > > doing a

    • kaanamoonshadow
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
        Kara's absolutely right, that was another excellent piece of fiction!

        You really made me feel with Chantal. It must have been really hard
        for her to know that Bishop was actually in the room next door, with
        all the things that she so desperately wanted to tell him, and
        knowing at the same time that she simply couldn't, if she really
        wanted to save his life.

        It was nice to see more Duncan/Chantal interaction as well, along
        with Bishop's side of the fence, so to speak. ;)

        I really can't wait to see how you'll solve all the dilemma's you've
        created (what will happen to poor Neeshka, should Casavir ever find
        out what she has done, for example), but I'm sure I will enjoy it!

        And Alya:
        Hope you'll get well soon! :D

        *wave* Kaana

        --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Kara Peterson" <kpeterson52@...>
        wrote:

        > Another engrossing chapter. Having just a wall between them was so
        biting, since he seems bound and determined not to admit that he
        loves her, and he doesn't even know what she's planning. It was
        also like a stern reminder that we can be so close to the ones we
        love yet so very far away from them in our hearts. I'm hoping that
        there is a way out for them- yet also still feeling somewhat like the
        Bishop in your story has burned all of his bridges and doesn't really
        deserve her love when he's been so callous. However, we've probably
        all been in that position, where people tell us we should give up on
        someone, and we keep on loving them anyway. I can completely
        understand why she'd hold out when no one else seems able to get to
        her like he does.

      • jette_fuxfell
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
          Thanks, Kara and Kaana :) Glad you liked the chapter.

          You're right, being so close to someone you love and not being able
          to reach out for some reason is probably something we all can relate
          to.

          As is loving someone while everyone, even your own good sense, tells
          you to keep your fingers off, else you will get them burned. But as
          on of my favourite Spike quotes says: Love isn't brains, children...

          So true.

          --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "kaanamoonshadow"
          <kaanamoonshadow@...> wrote:

          > Kara's absolutely right, that was another excellent piece of
          fiction!

          > You really made me feel with Chantal. It must have been really hard
          > for her to know that Bishop was actually in the room next door,
          with
          > all the things that she so desperately wanted to tell him, and
          > knowing at the same time that she simply couldn't, if she really
          > wanted to save his life.
          >
          > It was nice to see more Duncan/Chantal interaction as well, along
          > with Bishop's side of the fence, so to speak. ;)
          >
          > I really can't wait to see how you'll solve all the dilemma's
          you've
          > created (what will happen to poor Neeshka, should Casavir ever find
          > out what she has done, for example), but I'm sure I will enjoy it!
          >
          > And Alya:
          > Hope you'll get well soon! :D
          >
          > *wave* Kaana
          >

          > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Kara Peterson" <kpeterson52@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Another engrossing chapter. Having just a wall between them was
          so
          > biting, since he seems bound and determined not to admit that he
          > loves her, and he doesn't even know what she's planning. It was
          > also like a stern reminder that we can be so close to the ones we
          > love yet so very far away from them in our hearts. I'm hoping that
          > there is a way out for them- yet also still feeling somewhat like
          the
          > Bishop in your story has burned all of his bridges and doesn't
          really
          > deserve her love when he's been so callous. However, we've
          probably
          > all been in that position, where people tell us we should give up
          on
          > someone, and we keep on loving them anyway. I can completely
          > understand why she'd hold out when no one else seems able to get to
          > her like he does.

        • kaanamoonshadow
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2007
            *LOL*

            I'll drink to that!

            *wave* Kaana

            wrote:

            > Thanks, Kara and Kaana :) Glad you liked the chapter.
            >
            > You're right, being so close to someone you love and not being able
            > to reach out for some reason is probably something we all can
            relate
            > to.
            >
            > As is loving someone while everyone, even your own good sense,
            tells
            > you to keep your fingers off, else you will get them burned. But as
            > on of my favourite Spike quotes says: Love isn't brains, children...
            >
            > So true.
            >

            > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "kaanamoonshadow"
            > <kaanamoonshadow@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Kara's absolutely right, that was another excellent piece of
            > fiction!
            > >
            > > You really made me feel with Chantal. It must have been really
            hard
            > > for her to know that Bishop was actually in the room next door,
            > with
            > > all the things that she so desperately wanted to tell him, and
            > > knowing at the same time that she simply couldn't, if she really
            > > wanted to save his life.
            > >
            > > It was nice to see more Duncan/Chantal interaction as well, along
            > > with Bishop's side of the fence, so to speak. ;)
            > >
            > > I really can't wait to see how you'll solve all the dilemma's
            > you've
            > > created (what will happen to poor Neeshka, should Casavir ever
            find
            > > out what she has done, for example), but I'm sure I will enjoy it!
            > >
            > > And Alya:
            > > Hope you'll get well soon! :D
            > >
            > > *wave* Kaana
            > >

            > > --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Kara Peterson" <kpeterson52@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Another engrossing chapter. Having just a wall between them
            was
            > so
            > > biting, since he seems bound and determined not to admit that he
            > > loves her, and he doesn't even know what she's planning. It was
            > > also like a stern reminder that we can be so close to the ones we
            > > love yet so very far away from them in our hearts. I'm hoping
            that
            > > there is a way out for them- yet also still feeling somewhat like
            > the
            > > Bishop in your story has burned all of his bridges and doesn't
            > really
            > > deserve her love when he's been so callous. However, we've
            > probably
            > > all been in that position, where people tell us we should give up
            > on
            > > someone, and we keep on loving them anyway. I can completely
            > > understand why she'd hold out when no one else seems able to get
            > > her like he does.

          • perreaultmelissa
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <sg.dsl@...> wrote:

              > I thought that maybe he just figured Duncan was there to lend moral
              > support to the champion. I can't wait to see what happens. I don't
              > think that either would be able to kill the other one and I have to
              > wonder if Bishop will even want to fight Chantal at all.

              I agree!!! Makes you wonder if Bishop will put it together BEFORE he
              sees her and what will he do? The whole study of a CE character is
              really interesting, Jette does a nice job of not making him a complete
              monster. I'm hanging on my seat for more!!
            • charlye_jameson
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                Thanks, fuxfell, for making my day once again! You did deliver some
                excellent writing while I was away, thanks loads! I loved the irony
                of it all, how Bishop once volunteered to fight in Chantal's place
                and now he will have to face her... I so hope this ends well somehow!
                They don't have to fight until death, do they? I remember I've played
                a NWN2 game in which my character let Lorne live. Not that it
                mattered much for good ol' Lorne though, being killed by Garius in a
                cutscene, but apparently the Trial by Combat doesn't necessarily have
                to end in killing... does it?

                <kaanamoonshadow@...> wrote:

> [...]
                was
                > > > also like a stern reminder that we can be so close to the ones
                we
                > > > love yet so very far away from them in our hearts. I'm hoping
                > that
                > > > there is a way out for them- yet also still feeling somewhat
                like
                > > the
                > > > Bishop in your story has burned all of his bridges and doesn't
                > > really
                > > > deserve her love when he's been so callous. However, we've
                > > probably
                > > > all been in that position, where people tell us we should give
                up
                > > on
                > > > someone, and we keep on loving them anyway. I can completely
                > > > understand why she'd hold out when no one else seems able to

              • jette_fuxfell
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                  Hi Charlye, welcome back again :) Hope you had a wonderful honeymoon!

                  Thanks for the praise *blushes* Glad you liked it.

                  And no, a Trial by Combat does not necessarily have to be a fight to
                  the death. I myself let Lorne live, too. But as you said, did not do
                  him much good ;)

                  --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "charlye_jameson"