strike a pose!

  • Rowan Leeves
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      So I was browsing the nwn vault (which I didn't do for a very loooooong time) and I discovered a very very marvelous mod:

      http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=246

      (sowwy for those who already knew about it)

      :D

      If any of you wants to see Daeghun in action, check my photo album   >:D

      Rowan

    • kaanamoonshadow
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hello my dear!

        > Review-Fu does not sleep: it waits!

        That one really made me giggle. It's always a pleasure to see a master at work, so let's start another round of review-review-fu right away... :)

        > I meant to post the chapter seven fu sometime last week, but I'm lazy so I didn't. Haha! I'm just kidding. I couldn't get around to finishing it because I was busy trying to get chapter five of my fic done. (Which I did, and then the awesomeness of it crashed the server. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

        > So! To compensate, I've done a TPWF (Two Part Whammy Fu) in hopes that it earns me redemption.

        You shall be forgiven! :D

        > Chapter Seven

        > I see that we've backtracked a little at the start of this chapter, to give Bishop his say in some of the events previous. You two are mean! The end of the last chapter (as I'm sure you remember I banged on about it endlessly) had me jiggling around in my seat with anticipation! The tension was like a coiled spring, and you've rewound the time a bit just to crank that tension up even further! Nicely done though, it kept me on the edge of my seat.

        :D Always happy to be of service.

        > "[Bishop] opened the low, creaking door and stepped into the musty room behind. There were no windows, and the air was hot and stifling. The only light inside was that filtering through the gaps between the rough planks the shed was made of." That's a lovely atmospheric description. I could feel and see the interior of the shed in my mind's eye, from the dull thuds his feet would have made, to the dust illuminated by the beams of light filtering into the shed. It's simplistic and effective. I know writing descriptions isn't your favourite thing to do, B - but you do it so well I can't help but be impressed. Keeping things to the point adds a certain power to your words.

        I think Fuxfell did a great job with her descriptions in this chapter as well. So, please keep praising her for it in the chapters to come, for she can write lovely descriptions - it might tempt her to do so more often. ;)

        > "He lifted the board, careful not to drop the tools, and peered under it. Yes, a tub. Good to know." Foreshadowing of bath time fun in the future? God, I hope so. Wet Bishop is one of my favourite kinds of Bishop! (I think I might be a bit weird.)

        *whistles innocently* Sorry, no bath. *cough*
        But what is it with us fangirls that Wet!Bishop is always the sexiest version? ;P

        > "How could [Bishop] have allowed himself to be overcome by his weakness like that... He had made a complete fool out of himself." Oh Bishop. Instead of feeling remorse for molesting a young girl in the woods, he immediately goes to self-pity, or perhaps self-anger would be more accurate. This quote really brings home how much Bishop is only looking out for himself. I mean, we knew that anyway, but this is a particularly poignant example of it. He's not thinking 'How did I let myself slip like that? I almost went too far." He's gone straight to thinking about how it affects him, not caring a jot how it affected anyone else.

        You've put it so nicely. Yeah, Bishop doesn't care the least for anyone else. Me first, then Karnwyr, and the rest can go to the bowels of hell. *rolls eyes*
        But I think that's a very important part of his personality, and Fuxfell nailed it quite nicely!

        > You've got a little typo on page three, paragraph six. You've written 'mouse hat' instead of 'mouse had'. No biggie, it didn't detract from anything, just thought you might want to know. ^_^

        Ack, the evil typo monster! :(
        Thanks for telling, we'll check it out!

        > "Oh, [Bishop knew that] she knew that it had been a mistake, letting that slip." Again, that's another passing piece which nearly gave me goose bumps. I can feel the subtle implied threat there, and it's chilling. Nice.

        :D

        > "The [amulet Bishop] had stolen from the paladin's chambers before he left the Keep, with the miniature of Riana inside. The one he had kept with the stupid map.because that was something she had given to him, her writing on the margin." The sorrow and the pity, eh? Well, now I know where he got that locket belonging to Casavir, and I'm glad to say my horrible little ideas were wrong. I do feel sorry for Bishop here, but it's because stealing things from people's rooms seems so petty and pathetic. I wonder what was going through his mind when he decided to steal it. Spite? Desperation? Pain? A mixture of all of those things, and then some? My mind is fanwanking all over the place wondering how many times he took it out to look at it in the months following, and what made him throw it to the bottom of his pack for so long that it had become 'almost forgotten'. The map, however, is less pathetic and more touching. They're like his small treasures hidden in the wall of bones he's built around him. It humanises him a bit. Awesome.

        I think you're right - it's pathetic, and I think he felt all the feelings you've mentioned - right along with self-loathing for his weakness. And just like that, simple things as a map become a treasure. I thought it showed his human side as well, and think Fuxfell did an amazing job again!

        But now I'm really curious to hear all about your horrible little ideas. :D

        > '".Don't get your hopes up that you might appeal to that spark of honour in me, because there's nothing to appeal to. I never was a hero. And that's why I'm still alive."' Do you think there's a dark little part of Bishop which actually wanted to be a hero at one point? I know that he was never overly excited about the idea of jaunting around saving people, but before this he usually referred to the KC's heroic antics with amused distain and scorn. Now he seems to positively hate the whole hero idea. You know what they say about hate and love being different sides of the same coin; apparently the opposite of love is indifference, and Bishop seems anything but indifferent. Maybe something in him changed while he was travelling with Riana, and though he probably didn't fully admit it to himself. Perhaps he somehow got used to having people look at him with a measure of respect, instead of something that'd been dragged in on the underside of their shoe. Then he ruined it all for himself and went right back to being the scum of the streets; now he hates the hero life for what he must see as making him weak. That one line of dialogue sparked all that waffling thought in me - you only have yourself to blame for writing brilliant dialogue. :p

        It's a huge compliment to see you having all these thoughts about our story - and good thoughts on top of that! :)

        You have no idea how glad I am you enjoy it!

        > Chapter Eight

        > I must say, I like how you're dealing with the theme of betrayal in this story. It seems to be an undercurrent in quite a few chapters, in one way or the other. We know that Bishop betrayed the KC, but that's just the tip of what I'm seeing here. I could postulate all day on the little branches of betrayal going on. Lily's brother looks as though he might become a betrayer of some sort (that's just speculation, however.) Bishop is constantly betraying himself, or should I say the man he might have been had he not betrayed the KC. Even Lily's investigation of Bishop's backpack was to some extent, an act of betrayal (though a rather more understandable one!) Bishop's mind keeps betraying him and thinking about Riana. There are more, but all of these undercurrents compliment the other themes in the story, like trust. Who do you trust when you can't even trust yourself? Trust is usually a positive theme, but it's very dangerous here. Lily should not trust anything in her situation. Not even "I trust he won't kill me until the bruises are healed." She can't take anything for granted.

        I have to admit I never thought about it this way this before, but you've got an interesting point there. You're right, trust and betrayal play very important parts in our story, but their usual meaning is reversed somehow:

        Trusting someone here can be even more dangerous than betray him. Interesting! :)

        > "Ah well, he was not made of sugar, was he?" Hah! Understatement of the year.

        *snicker* One of my favourite lines.

        > "He grinned, strangely satisfied. She was so afraid of him, the little mouse." I love the nickname he has for her. It's wildly poignant. Cat and mouse. Mouse trap. The best laid plans of mice and men. The Country Mouse and the City Mouse. It's very symbolic and fitting. Nice!

        *beams* I'm happy you like it - I agree that it's so fitting for her! :)

        > Bishop's mood swings leave me dizzy, so god help Lily who is probably so deeply confused at this point that her situation is made even more unbearable. It must be torture not knowing what will set him off, or why a certain thing she has done pushed his near-bipolar buttons. Actually, it's probably torture for both of them; but Bishop as the aggressor doesn't get half as much sympathy from me.

        Thanks a lot for sympathizing with the victim here. ;D
        You're right, poor Liliana is confused as hell - and it will get even worse for her. but to be honest, it will get worse for Bishop, too, so - confusion for everyone! ;P

        > I feel like the lines are being blurred in this chapter. In her desperate eagerness to placate Bishop and do something right, our Lil is forgetting how frightened she should be of him - even if only for a moment. I feel as if Lily considers any scrap of humanity from Bishop is a step towards him looking at her as an individual, rather than a faceless victim. (We know she'll never be truly 'faceless' to our B, because she bears the features of his long lostie. But poor Lily doesn't know that.) By the end of the chapter, it's evident that any slip by Lily will cause a violent reaction from Bishop, because the man does not know how to process emotions. As soon as he feels anything, he'll fight like hell to go in the other direction because that's all he knows and all he wants to know at this point.

        You have mentioned two very important points here:
        First, that Lily really craves for these small scraps of humanity from Bishop, for they make her feel more like a person, and not just a thing chained to the wall.
        And second, that Bishop does not know how to deal with strong emotions, and that his only answer to things that confuse him is violence.

        Not a good situation, for she will (at least to some extend) search his closeness, while he's desperately trying to keep her away. Oh my... o.O

        > It's not quite Stockholm Syndrome, but it's something close to it. It feels like a desperate longing for things to be easier. Or normal, even. These little scraps of normal human interaction are probably like oxygen to her - they're keeping her sane in the nightmare she's fallen into.

        Indeed. :)

        > "He smiled thinly. "Don't worry, little mouse. I doubt there's anything about in these woods to put me in danger. And that includes your city friends." 'Now, now, Bishop. That was a bit uncalled for, wouldn't you say? You've already got her at your mercy, she's completely helpless. Is it really necessary to remind her that her friends are still around somewhere, perhaps not too far away? It's like showing her freedom through an unbreakable pane of glass.' It's cruel. It's very Bishop, too. You know, as I was writing that, I felt like I was Bishop's shrink. Man, can you imagine being his psychiatrist? "Now, Bishop, what do you see in this ink blot?" Oh dear.

        *snicker* That ink blot part really reduced me to giggles. Geesh, now I won't get that picture out of my mind... Bishop and his shrink. :D

        > "He imagined her covered with soot and snickered. Oh yes, he'd definitely tell her to do it. That would be something to behold." I'm glad you're having fun, Bishop, you asshat.

        Men. *rolls eyes again*

        > "Suddenly, the humour of the situation struck him, and his lips started twitching. He tried to repress it, but in the end could not help it and broke into laughter." Wow, that's really interesting! I wouldn't have thought Bishop to be even capable of genuine laughter at this point. I suppose he is still a person somewhere deep down inside. What makes me sad, however, is that this show of humanity probably won't have any sway on his resolve to kill her. Lily is hanging on to every flicker of normalcy in him, and he seems to be treating those moments as stupid slips. I suppose to him, they are.

        Believe me, you're not the only one here who has been surprised to see such a reaction from Bishop. Unfortunately, it only helps to confuse the poor mouse even more... and to reach completely false conclusions about her captor.

        > The song - and Bishop's reaction to it - was lovely. I like how performing something so vulnerable can make Lily so powerful. After all, she got him to smile. I suppose the old adage 'Music soothes the savage beast' really is true after all.

        Thanks - I'm very happy you liked that scene, for it's one of my favourites, too. :)

        > Lily mutilating the vegetables made me snicker. (Once I tried to make mashed potatoes with the skins still on. Tell it to me, baby.) Bishop's reaction was unexpected, and it actually made me feel quite sad. In a way I hate these glimpses into who he might have been, because I know he might never be that person - and that person might have been great. The atmosphere of good-natured camaraderie made my heart sink too, because I knew it wasn't going to last. It seems like Bishop isn't the only one with a problem with self-fulfilling prophecy, eh? ;)

        You're so right - it's a pity to see these rare moments where he shows a more gentle side of his self, getting a glimpse of what might have been... and knowing that it's not going to last. Once again, all praise goes to Fuxfell for making the monster still so human, and even likeable... even if only for a short span of time.

        > Two more great chapters, girlies! I'm looking forward to the next ones - looks like I'm finally starting to catch up at last!

        Thanks so much again for your reviews, and I hope you'll enjoy the next chapters as well. But be careful - we've been told that some nasty cliffhangers are hidden here and there, so maybe you'll have to read some chapters at once once more... :D

        *wave*

        Kaana
      • Faith Kendall
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008

          I love Bathtime Fun Bishop!  I don't know why it's the general fangirl favorite either, but it certainly seems to be.  Maybe it's because he can't run away while he's naked and wet?  No?  Is that just me?  Mwaha!

          And my horrible little ideas were all adult rated for scenes of bloodshed and death.  ;)  I just had an image of him knifing Casavir in the back and snatching the still-warm locket from his neck before disappearing into the night, you know?  I knew that your Bishop had gone back to the KoS battlesite, so I also had an image of a dying Casavir crawling from the wreckage and Bishop tearing the trinket away without remorse.  Y'know, those kind of horrible cinematic technicolour thoughts.

          There's cliffhangers coming up, you say?  I'd better invest in one of those mini fridges for next to the computer then.  I can probably survive on White Zinfandel and Ben & Jerry's for three days, right?

          Snicker snicker!

          Jen
          xxx

> [...]

          You're so right - it's a pity to see these rare moments where he shows a more gentle side of his self, getting a glimpse of what might have been... and knowing that it's not going to last. Once again, all praise goes to Fuxfell for making the monster still so human, and even likeable... even if only for a short span of time.

          > Two more great chapters, girlies! I'm looking forward to the next ones - looks like I'm finally starting to catch up at last!

          Thanks so much again for your reviews, and I hope you'll enjoy the next chapters as well. But be careful - we've been told that some nasty cliffhangers are hidden here and there, so maybe you'll have to read some chapters at once once more... :D

        • jette_fuxfell
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008

            Hey, still got another monster-review to review :) I'm a bit late, still catching up after that exhibition, but better late than never (I guess)...

            So, here we go...

            --- In NWN2Fanfic@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Kendall" <faithkendall@...> wrote:

            > Review-Fu does not sleep: it waits!
            >

            > I meant to post the chapter seven fu sometime last week, but I'm lazy so I didn't. Haha! I'm just kidding. I couldn't get around to finishing it because I was busy trying to get chapter five of my fic done. (Which I did, and then the awesomeness of it crashed the server. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

            Seems completely plausible to me :D

            > So! To compensate, I've done a TPWF (Two Part Whammy Fu) in hopes that it earns me redemption.

            Consider yourself redeemed ;)

            > Onwards!
            >

            > Chapter Seven
            >

            > I see that we've backtracked a little at the start of this chapter, to give Bishop his say in some of the events previous. You two are mean! The end of the last chapter (as I'm sure you remember I banged on about it endlessly) had me jiggling around in my seat with anticipation! The tension was like a coiled spring, and you've rewound the time a bit just to crank that tension up even further! Nicely done though, it kept me on the edge of my seat.

            *evil grin* We just luuuuv cranking up the tension, so expect it to rise a few notches still.

            > "[Bishop] opened the low, creaking door and stepped into the musty room behind. There were no windows, and the air was hot and stifling. The only light inside was that filtering through the gaps between the rough planks the shed was made of." That's a lovely atmospheric description. I could feel and see the interior of the shed in my mind's eye, from the dull thuds his feet would have made, to the dust illuminated by the beams of light filtering into the shed. It's simplistic and effective. I know writing descriptions isn't your favourite thing to do, B - but you do it so well I can't help but be impressed. Keeping things to the point adds a certain power to your words.

            Thankies! *bows* I humbly try to learn from Kaana, queen of the beautiful descriptions. Mine are much shorter still, but at least they are there ;) So I'm really glad it worked for you, because I know I still have to learn a lot when it comes down to creating an athmosphere.

            Nice Buffy reference, by the way - made me giggle.

            > "He lifted the board, careful not to drop the tools, and peered under it. Yes, a tub. Good to know." Foreshadowing of bath time fun in the future? God, I hope so. Wet Bishop is one of my favourite kinds of Bishop! (I think I might be a bit weird.)

            If you love wet Bishop, boy, did you stumble on the right story. I sometimes really felt like the poor guy would fetch a cold - but then he's a ranger, and he's got that wonderful endurance thingy keeping him healthy, lol. Guess you're not the only one who likes wet Bishop *blushes*

            > "How could [Bishop] have allowed himself to be overcome by his weakness like that... He had made a complete fool out of himself." Oh Bishop. Instead of feeling remorse for molesting a young girl in the woods, he immediately goes to self-pity, or perhaps self-anger would be more accurate. This quote really brings home how much Bishop is only looking out for himself. I mean, we knew that anyway, but this is a particularly poignant example of it. He's not thinking 'How did I let myself slip like that? I almost went too far." He's gone straight to thinking about how it affects him, not caring a jot how it affected anyone else.

            Hehe. I guess Bishop would have to look up the r-word in the dictionnary. He really does not care a fig about others, so it makes sense that even in this case, he'd think only about himself. One could say he's got clear priorities in that respect ;)

            > You've got a little typo on page three, paragraph six. You've written 'mouse hat' instead of 'mouse had'. No biggie, it didn't detract from anything, just thought you might want to know. ^_^

            Evil typo devil! Got to fix that. Thanks for noticing.

            > Alright, we're back to the point at which the previous chapter left off now. Once more, I'm jigging around in my seat, although this time I'm chanting "What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do?" I am strange and off-putting.

            No, you're not :D I'm glad we can make you feel with our poor protagonists.

            > "Oh, [Bishop knew that] she knew that it had been a mistake, letting that slip." Again, that's another passing piece which nearly gave me goose bumps. I can feel the subtle implied threat there, and it's chilling. Nice.

            Thankies *beams*

            > "The [amulet Bishop] had stolen from the paladin's chambers before he left the Keep, with the miniature of Riana inside. The one he had kept with the stupid map.because that was something she had given to him, her writing on the margin." The sorrow and the pity, eh? Well, now I know where he got that locket belonging to Casavir, and I'm glad to say my horrible little ideas were wrong. I do feel sorry for Bishop here, but it's because stealing things from people's rooms seems so petty and pathetic. I wonder what was going through his mind when he decided to steal it. Spite? Desperation? Pain? A mixture of all of those things, and then some? My mind is fanwanking all over the place wondering how many times he took it out to look at it in the months following, and what made him throw it to the bottom of his pack for so long that it had become 'almost forgotten'. The map, however, is less pathetic and more touching. They're like his small treasures hidden in the wall of bones he's built around him. It humanises him a bit. Awesome.

            Thank you *huggles* You have no idea how happy you made me, saying that, because Kaana and me try to walk a fine line here, between a truly evil, but still human Bishop and a true monster. So yes, keeping those mementos, treasuring them even after Riana died, because he could not let go adds to his human side.

            You're right, stealing the locket from Casavir as a keepsake, clinging to it, even though it was never meant for him, is truly pathetic. Which gives him some humanity, too :D I would guess there were uncountable emotions warring in him while he did it, self-hate and desperation prominent amongst them. And that at some point the self-disgust won out and he shoved it down into the depths of his backpack, determined to leave it behind him.

            > '".Don't get your hopes up that you might appeal to that spark of honour in me, because there's nothing to appeal to. I never was a hero. And that's why I'm still alive."' Do you think there's a dark little part of Bishop which actually wanted to be a hero at one point? I know that he was never overly excited about the idea of jaunting around saving people, but before this he usually referred to the KC's heroic antics with amused distain and scorn. Now he seems to positively hate the whole hero idea. You know what they say about hate and love being different sides of the same coin; apparently the opposite of love is indifference, and Bishop seems anything but indifferent. Maybe something in him changed while he was travelling with Riana, and though he probably didn't fully admit it to himself. Perhaps he somehow got used to having people look at him with a measure of respect, instead of something that'd been dragged in on the underside of their shoe. Then he ruined it all for himself and went right back to being the scum of the streets; now he hates the hero life for what he must see as making him weak. That one line of dialogue sparked all that waffling thought in me - you only have yourself to blame for writing brilliant dialogue. :p

            Thank you :) I love writing dialogue, and I'm glad it sparked all those thoughts in you. My view (at least in this story, and for this Bishop) is that, travelling with Riana, for the first time he was treated with some respect, and people looked up to him, as you said. And though he scorns the whole hero idea, it gave him a taste of what he could have been. I think in some earlier chapter there's a paragraph where he dwells on that topic.

            So, after he cocked up, he went back to being scum, and even though he'd never admit it to himself, there's a certain amount of regret for that. Deep down he wishes he could be someone else, but he does not have the strength and the will to fight for it, so he's resigned himself to being scum. I think it shows in the way he speaks that sentence you quoted, namely tiredly.

            > Chapter Eight
            >

            > I must say, I like how you're dealing with the theme of betrayal in this story. It seems to be an undercurrent in quite a few chapters, in one way or the other. We know that Bishop betrayed the KC, but that's just the tip of what I'm seeing here. I could postulate all day on the little branches of betrayal going on. Lily's brother looks as though he might become a betrayer of some sort (that's just speculation, however.) Bishop is constantly betraying himself, or should I say the man he might have been had he not betrayed the KC. Even Lily's investigation of Bishop's backpack was to some extent, an act of betrayal (though a rather more understandable one!) Bishop's mind keeps betraying him and thinking about Riana. There are more, but all of these undercurrents compliment the other themes in the story, like trust. Who do you trust when you can't even trust yourself? Trust is usually a positive theme, but it's very dangerous here. Lily should not trust anything in her situation. Not even "I trust he won't kill me until the bruises are healed." She can't take anything for granted.

            You know, I never thought about it this way, but you're right, betrayal is kind of THE central theme of this story. People betraying each other, betraying themselves, being betrayed by their thoughts and emotions... you're totally right! And trust - well, trust, for Bishop, has always been a sore spot, as he trusts no one. It's so deeply ingrained into his self, that it's kind of the source of all his twists and bends. He trust no other person, and he does not trust fate. Or should I say he trust that both will turn on him? It what makes him so dangerous as soon as he feels himself opening up, because he's certain that it will only lead to hurt, so he immediately starts lashing out.

            > Anyway, back to the chapter.
            >

            > "Ah well, he was not made of sugar, was he?" Hah! Understatement of the year.

            Lol, I never thought of this sentence this way. You made me grin!

            > [I'm going to pause here, because I have to go and recap America's Next Top Model. You should believe me when I say if I resume this 'Fu after the bitchery of ANTM has entered my soul, you'll get a whole different kind of review; one that rags on what Lily's wearing and rips apart Bishop's catwalk strut. Now there's an image I'm going to have trouble getting out of my head. Anyway, till later, bitches! (See? It's started already.)]

            No worries, I can take a bit of bitchiness :P

            > "He grinned, strangely satisfied. She was so afraid of him, the little mouse." I love the nickname he has for her. It's wildly poignant. Cat and mouse. Mouse trap. The best laid plans of mice and men. The Country Mouse and the City Mouse. It's very symbolic and fitting. Nice!

            Thank you! Kaana and me loved the nickname, too. I think Lily would not agree, though ;)

            > Bishop's mood swings leave me dizzy, so god help Lily who is probably so deeply confused at this point that her situation is made even more unbearable. It must be torture not knowing what will set him off, or why a certain thing she has done pushed his near-bipolar buttons. Actually, it's probably torture for both of them; but Bishop as the aggressor doesn't get half as much sympathy from me.

            Oh yes, it's torture for Bishop as well, but you're right, the sympathy mostly goes to Lily ;) She really has no way of understanding Bishop's more than twisted psyche, so it's like playing a game where no one told you the rules, but the price for losing is your life. Poor mousie.

            > I feel like the lines are being blurred in this chapter. In her desperate eagerness to placate Bishop and do something right, our Lil is forgetting how frightened she should be of him - even if only for a moment. I feel as if Lily considers any scrap of humanity from Bishop is a step towards him looking at her as an individual, rather than a faceless victim. (We know she'll never be truly 'faceless' to our B, because she bears the features of his long lostie. But poor Lily doesn't know that.) By the end of the chapter, it's evident that any slip by Lily will cause a violent reaction from Bishop, because the man does not know how to process emotions. As soon as he feels anything, he'll fight like hell to go in the other direction because that's all he knows and all he wants to know at this point.

            Yes, poor Lily is so desperate for any scrap of humane treatment that she quite loses perspective. And by seeking his human side, she pushes all the buttons that make Bishop lash out. But how should the poor mouse know?

            > It's not quite Stockholm Syndrome, but it's something close to it. It feels like a desperate longing for things to be easier. Or normal, even. These little scraps of normal human interaction are probably like oxygen to her - they're keeping her sane in the nightmare she's fallen into.

            Yes, see above - she longs for it, but every time it happens, Bishop starts fighting like a cornered rat...

            > "He smiled thinly. "Don't worry, little mouse. I doubt there's anything about in these woods to put me in danger. And that includes your city friends." 'Now, now, Bishop. That was a bit uncalled for, wouldn't you say? You've already got her at your mercy, she's completely helpless. Is it really necessary to remind her that her friends are still around somewhere, perhaps not too far away? It's like showing her freedom through an unbreakable pane of glass.' It's cruel. It's very Bishop, too. You know, as I was writing that, I felt like I was Bishop's shrink. Man, can you imagine being his psychiatrist? "Now, Bishop, what do you see in this ink blot?" Oh dear.

            Oh yes, I can imagine really well. "Now, Bishop, what do you see in this ink blot?" Bishop (with a sneer): "An ink blot. And more stupid questions like that, I'll be seeing an ink blot with a lot of blood stains, believe me."

            *shudder* No, I'm not doing therapy with that one, thank you very much.

            As for the previous question, no, he could not refrain from telling her. As you said, it's cruel, and it's very Bishop. Plus, it's a blow, considering she threatened him with her brother coming after him earlier. So he just had to add that litte tidbit.

            > "He imagined her covered with soot and snickered. Oh yes, he'd definitely tell her to do it. That would be something to behold." I'm glad you're having fun, Bishop, you asshat.

            Isn't he just a sweetie? *lol*

            > "Suddenly, the humour of the situation struck him, and his lips started twitching. He tried to repress it, but in the end could not help it and broke into laughter." Wow, that's really interesting! I wouldn't have thought Bishop to be even capable of genuine laughter at this point. I suppose he is still a person somewhere deep down inside. What makes me sad, however, is that this show of humanity probably won't have any sway on his resolve to kill her. Lily is hanging on to every flicker of normalcy in him, and he seems to be treating those moments as stupid slips. I suppose to him, they are.

            Yes, to him, they are. And if not stupid slips, at least they have no significance to him. To Lily, they give her (false) hope, because she feels like she's developing sort of a relationship to him, starts to be more than something chained to the wall to him.

            I hope Bishop's attack of humour does not seem out of character at this point.

            > The song - and Bishop's reaction to it - was lovely. I like how performing something so vulnerable can make Lily so powerful. After all, she got him to smile. I suppose the old adage 'Music soothes the savage beast' really is true after all. I should call my Grandma and tell her she was right. Actually I wont - bitch is meaner than Bishop. (See? It's been ages since ANTM recap, and still I'm mean as a snake. Also, I'm totally kidding. My Gran thinks lampshades are blancmanges and is awesome.)

            Oh yes, Lily sure does have power over him. She does not realise it, though. Kaana and me often said that if she did, Bishop would be in for a hell of a time, dancing like a puppet on her strings. On the other hand, she'd have to be real good at it though, because if he realised she was manipulating him, her life expectancy would sink drastically.

            Lol, maybe you should tell your Gran she was right and that even Bishop could be appeased with a song ;)

            > Lily mutilating the vegetables made me snicker. (Once I tried to make mashed potatoes with the skins still on. Tell it to me, baby.) Bishop's reaction was unexpected, and it actually made me feel quite sad. In a way I hate these glimpses into who he might have been, because I know he might never be that person - and that person might have been great. The atmosphere of good-natured camaraderie made my heart sink too, because I knew it wasn't going to last. It seems like Bishop isn't the only one with a problem with self-fulfilling prophecy, eh? ;)

            Lol, you did? Interesting technique ;)

            Sorry you hate the small glimpses into Bishop's human side. *sigh* Just think about it - Bishop without all that emotional baggage, strong, confident, with a sense of humour, but maybe just a hint of sarkasm and cynism? And still sexy as hell? *swoons*

            But no, of course it can't last, because as soon as Bishop catches himself showing some form of human behaviour, he'll turn ten times as bitchy...

            > "Oh, for the heavens' sake, get lost! I don't have all night, teaching a stupid, spoilt brat the simplest things! Go, sit in your corner, and be useless, like you've been all your life! Just get away from me!" And there it is. For all the times Lily has been lost in the woods, I feel that Bishop is stumbling around just as blindly.

            What was it that Inara said about Malcolm Reynolds? "We are all lost in the woods. The only difference is, the Captain likes it that way."

            Goes doubly for Bishop.

            Thank you so much for another amazing review, Faith *hugs*

            Bettina

          • Faith Kendall
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
              No problemo, dahlink!  I love how you catch every one of my Buffy and Firefly references!  I was about an inch away from writing "Lily and Bishop are both lost in the woods, the only difference is that Bishop likes it that way." but then I realised I didn't have to be so obvious with it, I knew you'd get it!

              (I have to be supremo careful when I'm writing my fic; one time I read a chapter back and it had a Firefly quote AND a Buffy quote in the dialogue.  D'oh!  They invade my brain!  They were "You will keep a civil tongue in that mouth, or I will sew it shut" as said by Mal to Jayne, and "[Am I] a thing worth saving?  [Am I] a righteous man?" as said by Angel in 'Amends'.  I couldn't believe it, I had to edit them out and reupload.  PLAGIARISM!)

              -bounces off to continue humouring her writer's block-

              xxx

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
                Lol, outed myself as an uber-geek, did I? But I simply love Buffy and
                Firefly... I quote them all the time, and mostly get blank looks
                because most people are not as geeky as me and don't get it ;)