Announcing The Apologetics Forum of Snohomish County (AFSC)
This email comprises the announcement of the formation of the Apologetics Forum
of Snohomish County (AFSC) by Dr. Heinz Lycklama and Mr. Rob Overgaard.
The actual announcement letter can be found below as well as on the AFSC
website at http://afsc.nwcreation.net.
Documents referenced in the announcement letter can be found here:
1. ApolDesc.pdf – AFSC Description – Why, Who, When, Mission, Operation, What We Believe, Plans, Resources, Tasks, Issues, Volunteers.
2. ApolSurvey.docx – One-page Survey with eleven questions.
3. heinz-bio-talks.pdf – Bio for Dr. Heinz Lycklama.
about this Apologetics Forum, feel free to call or email Heinz or Rob at the
contact information in the announcement letter. The first meeting of AFSC
will be on Friday, September 27 at 7:00 PM. Details next week.
If you know of another church, school or person who should receive this
AFSC announcement letter, please feel free to forward this email to them.
Thanks for your interest.
P.S. Announcement Letter follows.
The Apologetics Forum of Snohomish County (AFSC)
1. Candidates for AFSC Board of Directors and Advisory Board sought.
2. Volunteers for webmaster and other tasks sought.
3. First meeting of AFSC on Friday, September 27th at 7:00 PM.
Dr.Heinz Lycklama and Mr. Rob Overgaard have formed the ApologeticsForum of Snohomish County (AFSC). Based on participation in the Creation Association of Puget Sound (CAPS) and involvement in other Christian Apologetics activities, Heinz and Rob see the need for a local Forum where Christians can be equipped to defend their Faith in the postmodern world in three related areas: 1) Creation vs. Evolution, 2) Christian Apologetics and 3) Biblical Worldview. AFSC provides a local Forum in the North Snohomish County area for lectures and DVD programs by knowledgeable Creation Science, Christian Apologetics, and Biblical Worldview presenters. The mission and operation of AFSC, along with its “What We Believe” statement, are explained below.
Why: Studies done by Answers In Genesis (AIG), documented in recent books Already Gone and Already Compromised, show that more than 60% of youth raised in the church leave the church once they leave home. The main reasons are 1) they are looking for more answers to their hard questions, and 2) they are being indoctrinated in secularism and evolutionism. See also this Koinonia House article. There are a number of Creation organizations in the Northwest that provide a forum for lectures and DVD programs for those interested in Creation Science. These include:
1. Foundations in Genesis of Idaho/Oregon (FIGI) – www.figionline.com [Boise]
2. Institute for Creation Science (ICS) – www.icspdx.org [Portland]
3. Design Science Association (DSA) – www.pdxdsa.org [Portland]
4. Creation Association of Puget Sound (CAPS) - caps.nwcreation.net [Bellevue].
Examples of some others in other parts of the US and Canada include:
5. Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship – www.youngearth.org [Lakewood, CO]
6. Creation Fellowship – www.creationstudies.org/creationfellowship.html [Ft. Lauderdale, FL]
7. Creation Science Association of British Columbia – www.creationbc.org [Vancouver, BC].
The mission of AFSC is similar to that of these organizations. In addition AFSC also 1) provides a local meeting place in Snohomish County and 2) expands the scope of the lectures/programs on Creation Science to include Christian Apologetics and Biblical Worldview.
Participants in AFSC meetings can learn that biblical creation is supported by science and that there is no need for outdated compromises with evolution. Christian Apologetics includes such topics as Fulfilled Prophecies, Archaeology, Manuscript Transmission, etc. Christians are also challenged in their faith by secular ideas in regards to history, science, false Messiahs (e.g. Horus, Mithra, Zoroaster), the Zeitgeist movie, Gnostic gospels, etc. Answers to these challenges can also be presented. We believe the Biblical Worldview is based on the infallible Word of God and is the foundation of everything we say and do. All presentations are given with the presupposition that the Bible is God's inspired word and is accurate and inerrant in its original autographs.
AFSC Mission: The primary mission of AFSC is to provide a local Forum in the North Snohomish County area for equipping believers on how to defend their Christian faith using arguments and evidence for its truth. The scope of Apologetics topics includes the three related areas of:
1. Christian Apologetics (what, why, how)
2. Creation vs. Evolution (biblical basis, scientific evidence)
3. Biblical Worldview (what, all areas of life)
Participants in the Forum can gain more information on these topics by the following means:
1. Lectures on Apologetics by knowledgeable local and out-of-town speakers
2. DVD Presentations on Apologetics
3. Guide to Apologetics Resources
4. Lending Library of Books and DVD’s
5. Courses on Apologetics (?)
AFSC Operation: Monthly educational meetings will be held at a church in the North Snohomish County area either on Friday evening at 7 PM or on Saturday morning at 9 AM. [Time and place TBD]. Each meeting will include a lecture (about 1 hour) by a knowledgeable speaker who agrees with the Forum’s “What We Believe” statement below or the showing of a DVD on a topic within the scope of the Forum’s mission. There will be time (about 20 minutes) for discussion on the topic presented, followed by refreshments.
AFSCis run by a Board of Directors and advised by an Advisory Board whose members have knowledge in the topics discussed at AFSC meetings and have a strong interest in providing and supporting an environment for participants to gain well-researched information in the defense of their Christian faith.
The Forum is initially designed to draw its audience from believers in the northern part of Snohomish County [Arlington, Marysville, Stanwood, Lake Stevens, etc.] although others from neighboring areas are welcome to participate. The Forum is meant to be a place where hard questions about the Christian Faith, Creation and Worldview get answered and where participants are strengthened in their faith.
What We Believe:
1. We are always to be ready to give an intelligent, biblically accurate defense of the Christian faith with meekness and fear. I Pet. 3:15; Matt. 22:37; Jude 3, Col. 4:5-6.
2. The Bible, in its entirety, is God’s inspired word. It is fully inerrant in its original autographs, not only concerning spiritual issues, but also in history and science. II Pet. 1:20-21; II Tim. 3:16.
3. The universe and all it contains, both living and non-living, was designed by God and created out of nothing in six days as described in Genesis. Biological changes since creation have been confined within the created kinds. Gen. 1:1-31; Ex. 20:11.
4. The Noachian Flood was an historic event, worldwide in extent. Gen. 6:17; II Pet. 3:6.
5. Acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God, Creator and Redeemer, is mankind’s only path to reconciliation with God. John 1:1-3; Col. 1:16; Acts 4:12; II Cor. 5:19.
6. The biblical worldview is based on the infallible Word of God and is the foundation of all we say and do. The Bible speaks to all areas of life: ethics, psychology, sociology, science, law, politics, economics, and history. We engage our culture by thinking biblically. 1 Ch. 12:32; Col. 2:8.
Who: Dr. Heinz Lycklama has a PhD in Nuclear Physics and is now retired after more than 40 years in the high tech industry. He has been involved in the Creation vs. Evolution controversy for more than 25 years. Heinz is an active member of Creation Association of Puget Sound (CAPS) and is involved with various international Creation ministries. He has given lectures and courses on topics in all three areas of interest to AFSC in different venues locally as well as overseas. [See www.osta.com/messages and heinz-bio-talks.pdf.] Mr. Rob Overgaard has an MA degree in history and an M. Div. Degree, and has served as a pastor with the Church of the Lutheran Brethren in Canada and the US for 6 years. He is now employed by Boeing and has been involved with Creation vs. Evolution, Genesis and associated apologetics issues for many years. In recent years he has helped to promote speakers in the area from Creation Ministries International (CMI).
What: Christian Apologetics is based primarily on the Bible and uses logic to provide a rational basis for the Christian faith to defend it against objections. Apologists base their defense of Christianity on historical evidence, philosophical arguments, scientific investigation and arguments from other disciplines. We believe that the postmodern world needs Christians who are prepared to give the reasons for the hope that is within us – we are dedicated to that mission. AFSC creates a community where Christians can learn from each other, ask the hard questions of our faith, and receive the support of a community of Christian thinkers. The Forum equips Christians with well-researched information on issues that seek to undermine or challenge the truth of Christianity as revealed in the Bible.
AFSC provides a forum for lectures and DVD programs by knowledgeable Creation Science, Christian Apologetic, and Biblical Worldview presenters. All presentations are given with the presupposition that the Bible is God's inspired word and is accurate and inerrant in its original autographs. Genesis chapters 1-11 are foundational to the Christian faith and are historical narrative. God created everything in six 24 hour days less than 10,000 years ago, and most of the fossils in the sediments of the earth's crust are a result of the worldwide Flood of Genesis, an awful judgment of God about 4,500 years ago. As a result of Adam's Fall in the Garden of Eden all mankind is separated from God by sin. Mankind's only path to reconciliation with God is through acceptance of Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior.
The Bible is a total world and life view that speaks to all disciplines and areas of life: ethics, psychology, sociology, science, law, politics, economics, and history. It encourages Christians to engage their culture by thinking biblically. A biblical worldview is viewing the world, the beginning of the world, people in the world, the problems in the world, governments in the world, issues in the world, solutions for the problems in the world, and the future of the world -- through God’s Word. The Apologetics Forum equips people to think and live with a consistent and cohesive Biblical worldview.
AFSC is starting its educational meetings in the Fall of 2013. Some of the first lectures and DVD’s under consideration include:
1. Possible Lectures by local speakers:
a. In Defenseof Our Faith
b. The Basicsof Creation Apologetics
c. Challenges tothe Theory of Evolution
d. Genesis chapters1-2, Creation: Foundationof Our Faith
e. Ten Reasonsthe Bible is Unique
f. Wonders of the Cell
g. Our CreatedStars and Galaxies
h. Dinosaurs: LostWorld of the Bible
i. Answering the New Atheists
2. Possible DVD’s to show:
a. A Question of Origins
b. How DarwinGot It Wrong
c. Unlocking theMystery of Life
d. Where Doesthe Evidence Lead?
e. The DeadSea Scrolls
f. Evidence For the Bible
h. Radioactive Datingand a Young Earth
A number of local Christian/Creation Apologists who have spoken on topics of interest to AFS
(Message over 64 KB, truncated)