Dry Falls Scabland Day Trip Sponsored By Creation Association of Puget Sound

  • rondpayne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2013

      Dry Falls Eastern Scabland Day Trip Tour

      Sponsored by Creation Association of Puget Sound

      Get some visual Confirmation of Geologic Formations in Central Washington…Our Heavenly Father invites us to “Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations He has made in the Earth…!!!  Psalm 46:8  This is a well Planned informational trip with good Leadership and fun for all…!!!  See the Details below…!!!

      Activity:  CAPS Day trip to Dry Falls on Saturday June 29, 2013

      Speaker and Tour Guide: Rick Thompson from the Portland area will give three talks on location in Eastern Washington on the Missoula Flood relating to the Columbia River gorge formation in the Grand Coulee and south, coulees, scablands, the dry falls and related areas. Please check out his website at http://www.gigaflood.com/about%20gigaflood.html for details about his background, ministry and resources.

      Trip Format: We will caravan in our own vehicles. Do not get ahead of lead vehicle (light tan Buick Rendezvous) driven by Ron Payne.

      Initial Meeting Place: Meet initially at the Woodinville Costco gas station at the Hwy 9 exit off of Hwy 522 to Monroe. Go right at top of exit and right again at the next signal into the Costco parking lot. The gas station is in the right corner of the lot). Gather at 7:30 AM and we will leave promptly at 8:00 AM.
      Directions will be passed out at the meeting.

      Lunch: Each car/person is responsible to bring their lunch. There are facilities to buy food at Dry Falls. Bring snacks for the trip since lunch break is scheduled for 1:30 PM. Bring water.

      Basic Tour Schedule:
      7:30 AM       Assemble at Costco
      8:00 AM       Leave Costco (we will not wait for anyone since we have a tight driving schedule)
      Travel route - Northbound on Hwy 522 to Monroe. Go eastbound on Hwy 2 across Stevens Pass to Wenatchee. Stay on Hwy 2 which crosses the Columbia and turns north along with Hwy 97. Approximately 11-12 miles at Orondo, Hwy 2 turns east. We will stop at the Union 76 Fuel Center just north of the intersection for the first talk on the Columbia River/Grand Coulee at 11:00 AM.
      11:00 AM       Columbia River/Grand Coulee Talk
      11:30 AM       Leave eastbound on Hwy 2
      12:30 PM       Arrive at Moses Coulee (approximately 25 miles). Second talk on Coulees.
      1:00 PM         Leave for Dry Falls
      1:30 PM         Arrive Dry Falls (approx. 15-16 miles turn right onto Hwy 17 southbound from Hwy 2)
      1:30 PM         Lunch at Dry Falls - bathrooms at center on south side.
      2:00 PM         Third and final talk on Dry Falls and the Scablands
      2:30 PM         Visit interpretative center on your own.
      3:00 PM         Suggested leave time. Drive home on your own. No caravan or further meeting places.
      Travel Route - Either retrace your return via Hwy 2 or one could go south on Hwy 17 to Soap Lake, then south on Hwy 28 to Ephrata, south on Hwy 283 to I-90 and then home. Very cool drive thru some large coulees and lakes to Soap Lake.
      7:30-8:00 PM  Estimate return time to Woodinville Costco (where we started) via Hwy 2.

      Resources/Materials: Rick Thompson will bring a limited amount of Missoula Flood related DVDs and books for sale.

      Cost: There is no cost for the tour/talks. However, donations would be encouraged to provide a gift to our tour guide. Please give cash or checks payable to CAPS to Ron Payne.

      Trip Communication: Lead vehicle cell phone # and directions will be passed out when we meet. When you sign up for the trip, please provide a cell phone # so we can communicate on the road.

      RSVP: In order to know who is coming, please RSVP to Ron Payne at 425-820-2897 or email at rondpayne@... on or before June 22, 2013. Please provide name, email address, phone in the Seattle area, number in party, car make and model and a cell phone #. Contact Ron Payne for any questions.

      PS: Some informational web sites to look up

      http://nwcreation.net/scablands.html

      http://hugefloods.com/Scablands.html    ß Be sure to Watch this one to get a Bird’s eye view of the Scablands…!!!

      REMINDER: The Next One Day CAPS Field Trip will Be Saturday July 27, 2013 to Mt. St Helens. Details to follow.