CAPS meeting Fri. 3/22, 7 pm, Skeptic Paul Case on "The Failure of Faith"

  • John Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2013

      Skeptic Paul Case speaks to the
      Creation Assoc of Puget Sound (CAPS)

      Fri. March 22 at 7 pm
      At the Geology Learning Center in
      The Expedition Christian Church
      23601 52nd Ave. W, Mountlake Terrace
      Topic: "On the Failure of Faith" plus Q &A with Creation Scientists
      (6:30 refreshments & tour of the Geology center at 0)

       Abstract: “It's clear that Christian apologists attack evolution and science as they see them as a direct assault on their religion. But what about the central tenet of faith- the very glue that holds Christianity together? Seattle Skeptics President and atheist gadfly Paul Case tackles the problems of faith when applied to real world issues and problems. Can belief in God make you more moral? Help in times of crisis? Can it be used as a divining rod to determine truth? Help you live longer? What does faith do right? Join us for an provocative look at faith and its testable claims.”

      Bio: “As the former President of Seattle Atheists and current President of Seattle Skeptics, Case has been a leader in secular community for more than six years and has appeared as a contributor on the Ask an Atheist radio show, local news reports, Seattle Magazine, and has personally converted tens of Fremont Solstice parade goers to Pastafarianism. He loves geeking out to computer technology, PC games, and Rachel Maddow (talk shows on MSNBC and Air America Radio).”

      CAPS Comments: We know Case’s geniality fairly well for his initiative inviting four Ph.D. scientists from CAPS to give a joint talk for the Seattle Skeptics (twice), and on other occasions, invited a speaker from “Reasons to Believe” (Hugh Ross’ group) and also an ID speaker from the Discovery Institute.
      They gave us a polite hearing but also incisive questions on points where they disagreed. We owe the Seattle Skeptics a respectful forum on our turf.

      The apostle Peter admonishes us (in I Peter 3:15) to: “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear*; (NKJV).
      * NASB translates it “with gentleness and reverence.”

       References & links:
         Paul Case was interviewed in the article on Skeptics in "Religious Freedom" The Seattle Magazine, Sep. 2009, p. 56.
         Case was asked to comment on the imminent rapture (May 2011) of the Christian church by (discredited-in-1988) zealot Harold Camping   http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2015071658_rapture17m.html
        Case was interviewed about bus ads by atheists (in 2009):

      “Local atheists lift their voices in Metro bus ads”

      And Case was interviewed by KOMO4 news on the Atheist bus ads:
      Excerpt:
         ‘The words on the ads are intended to stir thought,
      not controversy.
      ‘One carries the words of Susan B. Anthony:
      "I distrust those people who know so well what
      God wants them to do, because I notice it always
      coincides with their own desires."
         Another features an Albert Einstein quote:
      "If people are good only because they fear punishment,
      and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
      "In fact, we
      do like to build bridges with people who are
      religious," Case said.’
        CAPS comment: These pithy quotes are not offensive and have a measure of truth.
         Also, Case participated (as a skeptic) in a video debate
       against someone promoting 9/11/2001 disaster as a conspiracy of our government.

      -John Johnson
      mathematician
      CAPS President