David Berlinski Book Talk: "The Devil's Design" 4/18, 7:30 pm, Benaroya Hall's Recital Hall

  • John Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 3:45 PM
      Mathematician/philosopher David Berlinski will give
      a talk on his new book "The Devil's Design," next
      Tuesday April 15 for the Discovery Institute
      (where he is a fellow) at Benaroya Hall's
      adjacent smaller Recital Hall.
      The event will be free but reservations are advised.
      My comments follow the announcement.
      (See below).
      http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=336&program=Discovery%20Institute&isEvent=true

      Excerpt:
      Militant atheism is on the rise. Richard Dawkins,
      Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens
      have dominated best seller lists with books
      denigrating religious belief as dangerous
      foolishness. And these authors are merely the
      leading edge of a far larger movement - one that
      now includes much of the scientific community.

      "The attack on traditional religious thought,"
      writes David Berlinski in The Devil's Delusion,
      "marks the consolidation in our time of science
      as the single system of belief in which rational
      men and women might place their faith, and if
      not their faith, then certainly their devotion."

      A secular Jew and agnostic, Berlinski nonetheless
      delivers a biting defense of religious thought.
      An acclaimed author who has spent his career
      writing about mathematics and the sciences, he
      turns the scientific community's cherished
      skepticism back on itself, daring to ask and
      answer some rather embarrassing questions.

      Join us for the book release party at 7:30 p.m.
      on Tuesday, April 15, in the Illsley Ball Nordstrom
      Recital Hall at Benaroya Hall in downtown Seattle.
      The doors will open at 7:00 p.m.

      For information about parking at Benaroya Hall and
      for directions, please visit
      http://www.seattlesymphony.org/benaroya/.

      Click here to RSVP by April 11 or call (202) 292-0401
      x. 111 and be entered to win a free signed copy of
      The Devil's Delusion. (Must be present to win.)

      For more information, please contact Mollie Tschida
      at (206) 292-0401 ext. 111 or email at
      molliet@....

      Time: 7:30 p.m. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
      When: Tuesday, April 15
      Where: Illsley Ball Nordstrom Recital Hall at
      Benaroya Hall, Seattle, Washington
      Cost: None
      _________________________
      My personal comments:

      David Berlinski describes himself as an "Secular Jew"
      and presumed agnostic. He is probably a theist,
      but certainly not a creationist, although he
      belies this feigned skepticism from examining
      his writings. They are full of biting satire
      about Darwinism and wit starting from "Black
      Mischief", a book I discovered via a math journal
      review and avidly read in 1986. It had a rave
      review from Phillip Davis in the Math Review of
      the Society for Industrial ans Applied
      Mathematics (SIAM), of which I am a long-term
      member. Even for them to review a non-math book
      was unprecedented, although the general media
      ignored it.

      In the last few years, David Berlinksi has provoked
      a fire-storm of opposition from his series of
      Anti-Darwinian essays in the Jewish "Commentary
      Magazine." Apparently those supposedly
      Genesis-believing Jew thought it was scandalous
      for him to dare to question orthodox Darwinism,
      which supposedly only a few crackpots, non-scientists
      and pastors disputed.

      Berlinksi has written many fine layman math works on
      the Calculus and Algorithm, which had rave reviews and

      are his main income. I have long recommended these.
      You can find his biography and get online copies of
      most of his brilliant essays at
      http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=51&isFellow=true

      I recommend Berlinksi very highly, but I am
      likely biased as I am a fellow mathematician.
      I plan to be there. Invite your "skeptical"
      friends
      to hear him take a skeptical view of Darwinism.

      Jewish agnostic take a skeptical view of Darwinism.
      The other Jewish scientist in his camp is Lee
      Spetner, author of "Not By Chance," and also
      denies Creationism. Spetner lives in Israel so we
      are not likely to hear from him soon.

      There are few other scientists who will tread that
      dangerous path. It can lead to loss of your job
      and career as seen in examples given in the timely
      new film Expelled by Ben Stein, opening April 18.
      http://expelledthemovie.com

      -John Johnson
      mathematician
      President, Creation Assoc. of Puget Sound.

      John N. Johnson
      mathematician