CAPSTalk Configuration & Viewing Posts Online

  • Chris Ashcraft
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2001
      Submissions to the CAPSTalk list can be viewed by the
      public at the following URL. If deemed necessary, this
      can be changed so that only list members can view the
      submissions online. Currently there is no restriction
      or approval system in place for joining the CAPS email
      list, therefore limiting message viewing would serve
      no function.

      CAPSTalk Web Interface
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAPSTalk

      CAPSTalk was established to provide an open forum for
      CAPS members, and to replace CAPS's existing email
      distribution list with an automated system. Such a
      system discourages unsolicited email by providing a
      means for self-removal from the list if desired. The
      previous list was distributed to anyone interested in
      receiving announcements and news from CAPS, and was
      not restricted to members to my knowledge. The
      CAPSTalk Yahoo-list-service is free, and although
      other organizations force membership to participate, I
      see this as unnecessarily restrictive.

      CAPSTalk is configured so that only list members can
      post messages. Problematic individuals can be banned
      on a case by case basis if they do not abide by the
      established rules for posting. In addition,
      submissions to CAPSTalk can be limited to moderators
      only. Personally I would like to see the CAPSTalk list
      remain open to anyone interested in CAPS and/or
      discussing Creation Science with its members, but this
      can be changed.

      The following was recently submitted to the Creation
      Research Society listserv by its membership secretary.
      IMHO - Using participation in a freelist to collect
      membership dues and likewise threatening to publicly
      display the names of the list members who have not
      renewed their membership is highly inappropriate for
      such an organization. I hope we do not sink to this
      level as the CAPSTalk list grows....

      ====================

      --- AJ Miner <miner1955@...> wrote:
      > This appeared on the PNWS skeptics email list today.
      > They are talking about
      > the letter that Chris Ashcraft posted today from
      > Doris Anderson to the CAPS
      > list. I thought the CAPS email list was for those
      > who believe in creation
      > only. Is it possible that these guys have
      > infiltrated the CAPS email list?
      > Are there other ways they can see what is posted? If
      > so, is there a more
      > secure venue for CAPS people over the internet?
      >
      > AJ

      =====
      Chris Ashcraft
      Creation Science Resource