924Biblical Basis for Apologetics (Thurs @ Cedar Park)
- May 11, 2014We hope you can join us this Thursday for a seminar by Dr. Fernandes. of these important educational programs by forwarding this information to home school groups, teachers, pastors, and others concerned about the defense of faith in an environment of competing worldviews.Description:
Dr. Fernandes shows from the Scriptures that Christian Apologetics (the rational defense of the faith) is clearly based in the Scriptures. The Bible speaks about God revealing Himself to man in His creation and in man's conscience. And, the Apostles defended the faith using both eyewitness testimony and their own testimonies. Hence, traditional apologetics is biblical. Dr. Fernandes will also discuss different ways to defend the faith.About the Speaker:
Dr. Phil Fernandes is the president of the Institute of Biblical Defense, which he founded in 1990 to teach Christians how to defend the Christian Faith. He is also the pastor of Trinity Bible Fellowship in Silverdale, Washington, and teaches philosophy, world religions, theology, and apologetic's for CrossPoint Academy and the Imago Dei Institute (formerly Cascade Bible College).
Dr.Phil Fernandes has earned the following degrees: a Ph.D. in philosophy of religion from Greenwich University, a Master of Arts in Religion from Liberty University, and a Bachelor of Theology from Columbia Evangelical Seminary. Fernandes has debated some of America’s leading atheists (i.e., Dr. Michael Martin of Boston University, Jeff Lowder, Jim Corbett, and Dan Barker). He has lectured and debated in defense of the Christian world view at some of America’s leading universities: Princeton, the University of Washington, Oregon State University, and the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). Dr.Fernandes is a member of four professional societies: the Evangelical Theological Society, the Evangelical Philosophical Society, the International Society of Christian Apologetics, the International Society of Christian Apologetics, and the Society of Christian Philosophers.
What to Expect:
- Books and Videos - are available for purchase in a wide variety of apologetics subjects and reader
- Refreshments - are available. Bring your favorite snacks to share.
- Free to Attend - open to the public and suitable for ages 11 and up.
- WA Teacher Clock Hours - may be obtained at no cost for attending the Symposium in person (3 hour / 2 programs minimum).
- Live Streaming - of the seminars is provided for those unable to attend in person.
- Video Recordings - are uploaded to our website for later viewing.
What is Apologetics:Apologetics is derived from the Greek word απολογία (apología) meaning "defense" or "answer." Apologists take on the particular task of defending a particular idea or belief system and answering its critics. The origin of the concept of apologetics lies in the beginnings of Christianity. Between the second and fourth centuries, a number of Christian teachers wrote defenses of Christianity against pagan critics. Since the development of the theory of evolution in the 19th century, creation science has become an extremely important Biblical apologetic.For those who hold to the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, Biblical apologetics is an important branch of theology involved with the defense of the history and teachings given within. Loss of faith is often associated with challenges to the historical content of the Bible by atheistic scientists and philosophers, and one goal of apologetics is to provide answers to these questions.I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? John 3:12
- Books and Videos - are available for purchase in a wide variety of apologetics subjects and reader levels.