New Member

  • dankari96
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2001
      Greetings:

      I Just found this list. So thought I'd say HI. My name is Dan Raitz
      and I am currently living in Escondido, CA. I am in the process of
      designing an Sn3 layout that will be located in Nevada. It will be
      called the Nevada Midland and will run from Battle Mountain to Las
      Vegas. The part that I will be modeling will be the area between
      Austin and Tonopah, Circa 1925. I still haven't decided to go via
      Gabbs or Ione yet.
      The reason I've decided to model Nevada you ask? I spent an enjoyable
      2 years at the Naval Air Station in Fallon. Did a lot of trapising
      around the old town sites and old mines (but not in them, I'm not
      that dense).
      I hope that there will be some enjoyable discussions on this list.

      Dan Raitz
      Escondido, CA
    • Steven Bechtold
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2001
        Welcome aboard, the list is slow at times, but there is some killer info at
        others. I am modeling your area as well but an updated wersion. I belong
        to the list because I love chasing and researching 1870's narrow guage rr's
        in Nevada, cool equipment in nowharland!

        Steve

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2001
          Dan,
          Welcome to the list. There are several fans of the Nevada Central on this list and much information to be had for the asking. As for me I vote for the route through Berlin and Ione as the NC intended to do. The Nevada Southern extention was gradded for several miles south of Ledlie toward Ione before the project was dropped in 1881.
          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell
        • dankari96
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
            Greg:

            I'm currently leaning more towards the route through Ione and Berlin
            then a route through Gabbs, one less range to go over, and less
            mileage to Tonopah. The only thing that Gabbs appears to have over
            the Ione/Berlin routing is the higher abundance of mines in the area.
            Of course all this is from looking at maps. I haven't had the time to
            do any field trips to these areas for a long time. That is on my to-
            do list.

            Dan Raitz
            Escondido, CA

            --- In NVnarrowgauge@y..., EANDPNG@A... wrote:
            > Dan,
            > Welcome to the list. There are several fans of the Nevada Central
            on this
            > list and much information to be had for the asking. As for me I
            vote for the
            > route through Berlin and Ione as the NC intended to do. The Nevada
            Southern
            > extention was gradded for several miles south of Ledlie toward Ione
            before
            > the project was dropped in 1881.
            > Regards,
            > Greg Maxwell
          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
              Hi Dan,

              Welcome to the list!!

              Mike Lee
              Tonopah and Goldfield in N
              League City, Texas
              --- dankari96 <dankari@...> wrote:
              > Greetings:
              >
              > I Just found this list. So thought I'd say HI. My
              > name is Dan Raitz
              > and I am currently living in Escondido, CA. I am in
              > the process of
              > designing an Sn3 layout that will be located in
              > Nevada. It will be
              > called the Nevada Midland and will run from Battle
              > Mountain to Las
              > Vegas. The part that I will be modeling will be the
              > area between
              > Austin and Tonopah, Circa 1925. I still haven't
              > decided to go via
              > Gabbs or Ione yet.
              > The reason I've decided to model Nevada you ask? I
              > spent an enjoyable
              > 2 years at the Naval Air Station in Fallon. Did a
              > lot of trapising
              > around the old town sites and old mines (but not in
              > them, I'm not
              > that dense).
              > I hope that there will be some enjoyable discussions
              > on this list.
              >
              > Dan Raitz
              > Escondido, CA

              Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
              http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
                Mike, Dan and the rest of the list,
                I have posted some photos of Tonopah in the files section in response to the recent to Battle Mountain-Tonopah thread.