Modeling Nevada

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
      List,
      I am working towards modeling the Ruby Hill branch of the E&P in On3. I am
      looking for some ideas for modeling Sage Brush in larger scales. There is a
      nice product in HO scale for Sage Brush but it is too small for O.
      Greg Maxwell
    • Steven Bechtold
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
        Greg and group,

        I have had great luck using lichen armatures and AMSI ground foam.  I use their "eucalyptus" and a darker green conifer type color for thriving plants and some of the yellows and grayer colors for those not quite so healthy.

        Paint the armatures grays, darker towards the bottom, lighter toward the top for foreground "brush."  Then sprinkle the ground foam on to taste, don't forget the yellow flowery portions!  For really small plants don't model the stems of the plants.  These look really nice in HO, I bet they would do well in O with larger armatures.

        Steve Bechtold
        I am working towards modeling the Ruby Hill branch of the E&P in On3. I am
        looking for some ideas for modeling Sage Brush in larger scales. There is a
        nice product in HO scale for Sage Brush but it is too small for O.

      • mark bassett
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
          Use the real mccoy? The newest branches on the a sage are close to scale.
          The leaves are small and its the right color. If you put it in silica that
          would take out all of the moisture. It would look like the sage around here,
          we've had no moisture now for about 45 days. What do you think?
          Mark

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2001
            <<Use the real McCoy? The newest branches on the a sage are close to scale. >
            >Even if the sage didn't look right my layout room would smell like Nevada. <<
            I have had great luck using lichen armatures and AMSI ground foam>> There is
            a fine type of lichen that grows on the Oak trees in the southwestern part of
            Oregon (I live in Oregon) that looks pretty good. It is about the right color
            and grows in little round tufts about the right size.
            Greg

          • mark bassett
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2001
              I vote for the real stuff. I was out at Palisade today (that's another
              story) but I did pay close attention to the sage. It appears to be in its
              end of season growth phase. The newest branches, have very small leaves on
              them. I think it would work.
              Mark

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2001
                Mark,
                IM guessing that you must live in Elko. I had thought about retiring there
                but I think that the winters might be too cold for me. I have spent a lot of
                time down there in the last twelve years and have made some good friends in
                Pine Valley and Eureka.
                Greg
              • mark bassett
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 14, 2001
                  Yes, I'm in Elko and yes the winters are cold. In fact, I keep thinking
                  about moving over to Fernley, where the winters are warm. For those on the
                  list from outside Nevada, not all of us live in Las Vegas where its hot!
                  Elko is about 500 miles north of Vegas.