Re: [NVnarrowgauge] (unknown)

  • darney@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
      The Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Flume Co.
      1875 - 1898
      No. 1 Glenbrook 2-6-0 Baldwin #3712 New To LTRy&T Co.
      2 Tahoe 2-6-0 Baldwin #3709 New To NCNG
      3 ---- 2-6-0 Baldwin #4062 New
      To LTRy&T Co.
      4 Santa Cruz 0-6-0 Porter #218 Used

      In 1899 the locomotives #1 and #3 along with a number of flat cars and and
      the engine house and shops was sold To DL Bliss (General Manager of The
      C&TL&FCo.) and shipped across lake Tahoe for use on the LTRy&TCo. Being
      built by Bliss.
      1900 - 1926
      No. 1 2-6-0 Baldwin #3712 Ex C&TL&FCo.
      3 2-6-0 Baldwin #4062 C&TL&FCo.
      5 4-4-0 Baldwin #4222 SPC
      13 2-8-0 Baldwin #6157 SPC / SPng
      The line carried a great number of logs from the Tahoe City area to the
      Truckee Lumber Co. Mills at Truckee. Passengers were only part of the
      traffic, Fish were shipped out in great numbers and supplies for the entire
      lake was shipped in. I have a car roster (half a dozen box cars a fair
      number of flats and quite a few passenger cars, but none from Pullman)
      somewhere deep in my files. I will see if I can find it sometime soon.

      Denise Showalter can give you greater detail. And some of the other posts
      have listed the books you need to see.
      Dale Darney

      William Scarvie wrote:

      > Hello fellow NV narrow-gauge enthusiasts,
      >

      > As far as I've been able to tell, the LTR&T used at least one
      > Baldwin 2-6-0 Mogul, it's engine #1, formerly the Glenbrook of the
      > C&TL&F. This engine was built in 1875 by Baldwin.
      > and a number of flat cars inherited from the C&TL&F. At least one
      > box car was in the inventory, and there are references to both more
      > box cars and "other engines" in the very scant reference material
      > I've been able to scare up so far.
      >

      > Will Scarvie

    • bnorden
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
        William,

        Myrick's Railroads of Nevada is probably the best source of information
        about the Lake Tahoe. A couple of years ago the University of Nevada
        Press reprinted the two volume set. If you don't want to get your own
        copy, check out your local library. If it does not have a copy, it may
        be able to get a copy through inter-library loan.

        Volume one covers the northern railroads and has a chapter on Lake
        Tahoe. Volume two besides covering the southern railroads has rosters
        for all the railroads.

        The book is currently stocked by the Nevada State RR Museum bookstore
        ($70 each/$140 set). Information about the store and phone or fax
        orders is available at the museum's web site:
        http://www.nsrm-friends.org/

        Also, the opening chapter of "The Swayne Lumber Company" by Beckstrom &
        Braun (published by Pacific Fast Mail in 1992) covers the Truckee Lumber
        company which once logged timber along the Lake Tahoe.

        There has been other research into the road. A year ago at the annual
        NSRM history symposium there were two presentations about the Lake Tahoe
        and its equipment.

        Brian Norden
      • William Scarvie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2000
          Hi Dale,

          Man, I've struck the motherlode on this list. First photos and now roster
          information. Thank you to everyone.

          Now, for Dale in particular, does V&T Shops make anything that might help
          me convert the Bachmann On30 Mogul to an earlier model? Eventually I'll
          find a dead ringer for the Glenbrook but for now I'd be satisfied with new
          domes, stack and cattle catcher.

          Thanks,

          Will

          >From: darney@...
          >To: NVnarrowgauge@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [NVnarrowgauge] (unknown)
          >Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:41:40 -0800
          >
          >The Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Flume Co.
          >1875 - 1898
          >No. 1 Glenbrook 2-6-0 Baldwin #3712 New To LTRy&T Co.
          > 2 Tahoe 2-6-0 Baldwin #3709 New To NCNG
          > 3 ---- 2-6-0 Baldwin #4062 New
          >To LTRy&T Co.
          > 4 Santa Cruz 0-6-0 Porter #218 Used
          >

          >In 1899 the locomotives #1 and #3 along with a number of flat cars and and
          >the engine house and shops was sold To DL Bliss (General Manager of The
          >C&TL&FCo.) and shipped across lake Tahoe for use on the LTRy&TCo. Being
          >built by Bliss.
          > 1900 - 1926
          >No. 1 2-6-0 Baldwin #3712 Ex C&TL&FCo.
          > 3 2-6-0 Baldwin #4062 C&TL&FCo.
          > 5 4-4-0 Baldwin #4222 SPC
          > 13 2-8-0 Baldwin #6157 SPC / SPng
          >The line carried a great number of logs from the Tahoe City area to the
          >Truckee Lumber Co. Mills at Truckee. Passengers were only part of the
          >traffic, Fish were shipped out in great numbers and supplies for the entire
          >lake was shipped in. I have a car roster (half a dozen box cars a fair
          >number of flats and quite a few passenger cars, but none from Pullman)
          >somewhere deep in my files. I will see if I can find it sometime soon.
          >
          >Denise Showalter can give you greater detail. And some of the other posts
          >have listed the books you need to see.
          >Dale Darney
          >
          >William Scarvie wrote:
          >
          > > Hello fellow NV narrow-gauge enthusiasts,
          > >

          > > As far as I've been able to tell, the LTR&T used at least one
          > > Baldwin 2-6-0 Mogul, it's engine #1, formerly the Glenbrook of the
          > > C&TL&F. This engine was built in 1875 by Baldwin.
          > > and a number of flat cars inherited from the C&TL&F. At least one
          > > box car was in the inventory, and there are references to both more
          > > box cars and "other engines" in the very scant reference material
          > > I've been able to scare up so far.
          > >

          > > Will Scarvie

        • Steven Bechtold
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2000
            Myrick's book was just reprinted a few years back and copies should still be
            available. Try Caboose Hobbies in Denver or The Train Shop in Santa Clara,
            Ca.

            There are lots of pictures in Volume One. Looks like they had a 4-4-0 as
            well. You might drop a line to Bob Brown of NG&SL Gazette as well. He has
            based his layout on the same RR and may be able to steer you in the right
            direction.

            Steve