  • William Scarvie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      Hello fellow NV narrow-gauge enthusiasts,

      I have had an abiding interest in logging railroads. That interest
      persists, though it's metamorphosed a bit. Rather than going for a
      freelance layout as I'd always imagined I would, I've actually found
      a prototype that interests me. I'm hoping some of you guys who have
      been in the hobby a while can help me get started with some research.

      Back in 1901 the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Company
      started operating on a fifteen mile stretch of 3' track between
      Truckee and Tahoe City in California (barely...its predecessor, the
      Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, operated off the lake's
      East shore, in Nevada). Mainly this line appears to have taken
      tourists from Truckee to Tahoe City and back. The vacationers would
      spend time at the Tahoe Tavern resort or one of the others along the
      lake, transported to these further resorts in the steamer Tahoe,
      which met the LTR&T train alongside a 900' trestle dock. The train
      backed out onto the dock to put its Pullman cars directly beside the
      steamer, in order to shorten the walk imposed on the tourists to a
      few feet.

      As far as I've been able to tell, the LTR&T used at least one
      Baldwin 2-6-0 Mogul, it's engine #1, formerly the Glenbrook of the
      C&TL&F. This engine was built in 1875 by Baldwin. The line featured
      at least two Pullman coaches, as well as a Pullman observation car
      and a number of flat cars inherited from the C&TL&F. At least one
      box car was in the inventory, and there are references to both more
      box cars and "other engines" in the very scant reference material
      I've been able to scare up so far.

      What I have is a page-long listing in the Hilton's "American Narrow
      Gauge Railroads," and a few short pages found on-line. Hilton lists
      the following references:

      Frederick Shaw; Clement Fisher, Jr.; George H. Harlan; Oil Lamps
      and Iron Ponies; San Francisco, Bay Books, 1949, pp. 22-37.
      Myrics, Railroads of Nevada and Eastern Colorado, vol. 1, pp. 430-
      Owen F. McKeon, "The Railroads and Steamers of Lake Tahoe," The
      Western Railroader, v5, no. 6, issue 82 (1946).

      So, my questions to the veteran researchers out there:

      1) How would you go about finding copies of these books, and can
      they be had for anything less than a fortune? I'm still debating
      whether to use this line at all as my prototype and would rather
      avoid spending hundreds of dollars on these kinds of materials only
      to find that I don't like the look of the scenery, the station(s),

      2) Any further suggestions on how to dig deeper?

      Of course, I'm looking for the Holy Grail :-) A nice cheap book
      with loads of period pictures, diagrams of the tracks and rolling
      stock, etc. :-) Seriously, anything with photos would be most
      welcome, but anything at all would be a better start than I have now.

      Thanks very much in advance,

      Will Scarvie