SP Narrow Gauge Historical Society 2014 Conference

  • dennisb60
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2013
      First of all I apologize for any cross-posting.

      SOUTHERN PACIFIC NARROW GAUGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S ANNUAL 4 DAY CONFERENCE HAS BEEN SCHEDULED.

      TITLE: "The Lower Keeler Branch"

      DATE: Thursday May 8 through Sunday May 11, 2014

      LOCATION: Lone Pine California

      We will be spending 4 days in the lower portion of the Owens Valley focusing on the Railroad and Mining History of that region and exploring the right of ways, spurs, sidings, and station stops of the old Carson & Colorado and SPng Keeler Branch Railroads.
      We will visit locations on the railroad that we have not included in past conferences as well as discussing and exploring some of the mining locations that supported the railroad throughout it's term of existence.
      The Conference will begin with a meet and greet for the attendees on Thursday. There will also be some informal activities scheduled for Thursday evening.

      We have scheduled 3 separate field trips:

      1) First of all we will be following the old Carson & Colorado/ SPng ROW to explore remains.
      2) During our second trip we will car pool into the Inyo Mountains to spend the day visiting the Community and Mines of Cerro Gordo. We will have guided tours by Historians and enjoy a box lunch at the location. We were also advised they would open the Hoist House for our visit.
      3) The subject of our third trip will be the Standard Gauge Jawbone Branch in the Owens Valley that connected the Narrow Gauge to Southern California. We will begin with a visit to the SG Lone Pine Depot, the wye, the bridge abutment remains on the Owens River, and the location of the town of Black Rock from the film "Bad Day at Black Rock", as well as other locations south of Lone Pine.

      Our evening programs will include a presentation on the Jaw Bone Line by Phil Serpico, Historian and Author of several railroad books.
      Cecile and Roger Vargo, Historians and Authors of 2 books on Cerro Gordo, will give a history presentation on the mining community of Cerro Gordo. .
      Inyo County Film Commissioner Chris Langley will discuss the historic movies filmed in the Owens Valley including those that the SPNG equipment starred in.
      Also, discussion on the many materials mined in the area and the railroads part in these activities.
      The Authors mentioned will also have their books available for purchase and signing.
      All presentations will be held in the Movie Theater at the Lone Pine Film Museum.

      Several Hotels in Lone Pine have blocked rooms at a discount rate for the Conference attendees.
      You must reserve your room directly from the Hotel to receive the discount.
      For more information, updates, and registration form please visit our website at spnghs.org
      You can also contact our office at spngoffice@... or 707-262-1824
      Dennis Burke
      President,