N-C-O locomotive leased to Tonopah RR

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2009
      Hi,

      I recently was going though microfilm copies of the weekly Hawthorne, Nevada, newspaper for 1904.  I found the following item in local news column in the issue for August 12, 1904:

        Engine No. 8 of the N. C. and O.
      came out Thursday. It will be used
      on the Tonopah railroad until that
      company can repair engines.

      Checking the Reno newspapers I found this in Reno Evening Gazette for August 2, 1902:

                      N-C-O ENGINE
                              -------

      Loaned to the Tonopah Railroad Com-
                 pany, Which is in Trouble

      Owing to the misfortunes which
      has befallen its rolling stock especially
      its engines, the Tonopah railroad
      company has been compelled to obtain
      an engine from the N-C-O road.  The
      engine was loaded on a Southern Pa-
      cific flat car today and will be sent to
      the Tonopah road at once.

      Although it has a good stretch of
      track and first-class rolling stock the
      new road to the bonanza gold camp
      has been most unfortunate, several
      of its engines and cars have been
      put out of commission by derailments.

      The N-C-O number 8 was renumbered the next year or so to number 6.  This was a 4-6-0.