box car at Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2009
      Greetings,

      About two weeks ago I had the opportunity to re-visit the box car body now at the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park.  This was once used as a shed at Bobtown on the N.C.

      It was a wonder Monday a couple of days after some thunder storm showers.  The side trip from Luning on highway 95 had great awe inspiring vistas.   The trip, of course, took me through Gabbs and it seemed that the mining operation there was shut down.

      The car body is still under the shed at the picnic area near the
      Ichthyosaur building.  Little seems to have changed except some graffiti seems to have been added.

      See this url for park information:  http://parks.nv.gov/bi.htm

      After paying my entrance/use fee at the self-serve box at the gate, I went into the small park office at the Berlin  part of the and when one of the rangers came out of the back I mentioned my reason for being there.  He was unaware of the existence of the car until an other ranger spoke from the back room and said where it was located.

      I have uploaded four images into the photo section of the Yahoo home of the group.  I took a total of 20.  Upon review I thought I had taken a couple of additional images but I guess those did not take as the card was full and I did not completely check when I downloaded to my laptop.  The picnic table under the covering shed was convenient for doing this download.

      Brian Norden
    • Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2009
        Thanks for posting the pictures, Bob. The car is holding up well, the sides being only slightly more wind and sand blasted compared to when I was last there around 1995.

        This is one car that should be put in a museum considering its lineage and suspected early California narrow gauge tie. At least it's covered--it's surviving sister isn't and has suffered far more at the hand of nature on the floor of the Reese River Valley. It's amazing to me to think that two cars that could trace back to the S&I in 1874/1875 are still sitting in the desert in 2009.
        Dave

        About two weeks ago I had the opportunity to re-visit the box car body now at the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park.  This was once used as a shed at Bobtown on the N.C.

        .

      • Dave Eggleston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2009
          I meant Brian, not Bob. Don't know what possessed me to call you by the wrong name. Sorry!

          Dave