Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Velocipedes (velocipedi?)

  • Dave Eggleston
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
      I get that you'd like to tie it to the NC. Non-NC items have shown up around Austin such as standard gauge tank cars at a ranch and until the early 1970s an E&P boxcar. Could this velocipede have been a floating relic from the E&P or Tonapah? It would make a fun research project for someone. But I wouldn't call it NC yet.

      There are so few relics of the NC out there. There is a shed near Bridges that I believe may have been NC. The Berlin boxcar (Bobtown shed) at the Icthyasaur monument. The Carter car at SPCRR. You probably won't get the last item (I did try to convince them to paint it in 1882 style NC buff when it got restored but they didn't bite). But the other two items? Sure would be nice to have what's left of the Berlin car in safer conditions. That car is wearing away from wind erosion.

      One question: what collection is the 1902 valuation that you're referencing located in?

      Thanks,
      Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
        Dave, I'd love to claim it as NC--but I can't and won't. There is
        just no evidence to support that. The valuation is in fact ICC 1917.
        The embarassment of the error is a consequence of posting from home
        away from the material! Some pages have "revised . . . June 16,
        1927" at the bottom, but not the page with the velocipede. This is a
        photo in NSRM file. I suspect it came from UNR. I need to go out to
        Berlin to see that boxcar!

        Wendell

        --- In NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Dave Eggleston <degg13@...>

        ______________
        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

      • Dave Eggleston
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
          Wendell:

          No problem. I just thought you'd found a new source. You got me excited! I need to look at the 1898 Inventory when I get home and see what it says about a velocipede.

          The 1917 ICC valuation I've seen was at UNR.

          The Berlin boxcar is actually thought to be (and I support this) an ex-Stockton and Ione flat that an outside framed box body was applied to AND then cut in half in the early 20th century to make a tiny shed at Bobtown station. That one half remains at the park. You used to be able to make out the NC lettering. The car is remarkably narrow and poorly built! Only 4 sills and at best around 6 feet wide and 20 feet long. No wonder these quickly dropped out of service. The line had three of these along the line as sheds by around 1900--the one at Watts was moved to a ranch and ultimately burned about 25 years ago, the one at Berlin survives, and there's one that still sits on the ROW about 25 miles south of B.M. I knew it was there but finally hunted it down around 1999 and took a lot of pictures. The box body is gone but the flatcar sills and floor are mostly there. So that would be one other relic of interest to the museum if looking for an NC car (or remains thereof)--though one barely used and of a type never photographed (that I'm aware of). All three of these cars as sheds can be seen as additions in the Bridges NC profile book at UNR. The Watts car can also be seen in some of the photos of that station, at the north end of the cluster of buildings, identifiable with its outside framing.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
            Ok, some corrections to my note.

            First, the Profile book is at NHS.

            Second, not a correction but a clarification. Some time after the NC closed down two sheds were moved away--the Bobtown shed to the park and the Watts shed to the ranch. The third one, found near Baileys if I recall correctly, is still sitting next to the ROW, or was in 1999.

            Dave

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
                When I visited it in 1996 or 1997 it was still under that canopy, though the NC lettering was almost obliterated by wind with only a faint tracing of N C seen on one side. No evidence of S&I lettering on the car when I was there.

                I've got the plans that you and Dave drew up at the time, which have a note that the number 301 was still visible on one side and NC on the other.

                As you say, it's a really odd car, clearly built up by people who didn't have a solid grounding in car technology. Going to my notes, the cars were 6'4" x 22', built in 1875 by Holt or the California Agricultural Works. They arrived on the NC in October 1879 along with 2 flatcars. Prior to 1917 they were all on the ground as sheds, one at Dillon (remains still in place), one at Watts (still seen as shed in 1937 photo) and the half car at Bobtown which is now at the Berlin Icthyasaur park.

                I have a few photos of the Berlin car, but not digitized. Greg Maxwell posted a picture of the Dillon car some time back in the files section--see http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0A5_R6PMJi41uKqg0vXV4Uv_JzBAR14ph-NICr23KQQrMJCM_8VWYtRX1sz0tzpftwzN-kZdTuOgx9BlOK_pJpFM4g/S%26I-1.jpg. The car's roof is lying on top of the floor. This is a great car in that all the underbody detail is visible through missing floor boards; it would be quite possible to make detailed plans of the car's framing.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2008
                  The E&P had at least one velocipede but as far as I know it was a #3.

                  From the E&PRR letter book at UN-R,
                  Pg 230, B.G. to the Kalamazoo Velocipede and Car Co. 5-28-90
                   Placing an order for one steel, one seat, No.3 Velocipede.
                  (B.G. is Byron Gillman, E&P gm)
                  Regards,
                  Greg Maxwell

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2008
                    Very interesting. At this point I am sure I could not distinguish a
                    Kalamazoo from a Sheffield (having never seen one that I knew was the
                    former). The two companies were located only a few miles from each
                    other (Sheffield being at Three Rivers), and it is likely that
                    employees and design elements moved back and forth. I have pulled the
                    various patents issued to each company, but have yet to study them
                    sufficiently to distinguish their products.

                    When first offered the car we now have I was told one could
                    read "Kalamazoo" on it. In fact I can't; I can however clearly make
                    out the "Sheffield" and the "Three" of Three Rivers. That said (and
                    in light of what you say) I should add that while we know that NC had
                    a few Velocipedes, I have yet to see such information that would
                    establish whether one or all were Sheffields or Kalamazoos. But, it
                    is questions like this that drives me onward. W.

                    --- In NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, EANDPNG@... wrote:

                    > The E&P had at least one velocipede but as far as I know it was a
                    #3.

                    > From the E&PRR letter book at UN-R,
                    >
                    > Pg 230, B.G. to the Kalamazoo Velocipede and Car Co. 5-28-90
                    >
                    > ?Placing an order for one steel, one seat, No.3 Velocipede.
                    >

                    > (B.G. is Byron Gillman, E&P gm)
                    > Regards,
                    > Greg Maxwell

                    __