Re: [NVnarrowgauge] re; pointed in the right direction

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
      The map in Myrick's RRs of Nev and Eastern California Vol1 on page 108
      dated 1904 shows an engine house. This was on the east (narrow gauge )
      side of the facilities and near the south end near the depot. It was
      separate and apart from the dual gauge turntable that was on the north
      end of the yard. I believe that this like many of the ones on the C&C
      it was long enough for two of the 4-4-0's inside. But I have yet to see
      a photo showing it.

      The original engine house burned in in the first few years of the line
      and was rebuilt. One of the locomotives was inside (I believe #1 --
      I'm not going into my research notes). Apparently the tender frame was
      wood and the C&C ordered a new frame of either iron or steel for the
      locomotive.

      Other engine houses were at:
      Hawthorne -- two buildings set off of a common switch and at an
      angle to each other.
      Candelaria
      Bishop station (relocated to Belleville, Nev. in about 1888) this
      location when it received a post office was named Laws about the same
      time when the building was relocated.
      Keeler -- this remained into the late 1940s

      When the SP built the facilities at Mina these included a large
      rectangular engine house with separate tracks for both narrow gauge and
      standard gauge.

      David Myrick's Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California is a good
      resource for anyone interested in the railroads of Nevada, etc.

      Brian Norden