re; pointed in the right direction

  • grizzzley81
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hi everybody, how's it going,As to my point It's amazing when someone
      has just the right bit of info that leads the right direction. It was
      really appreciated Once again thank Grizz Ps: Was there an engine
      house on the mound house side.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
        The map in Myrick's RRs of Nev and Eastern California Vol1 on page 108
        dated 1904 shows an engine house. This was on the east (narrow gauge )
        side of the facilities and near the south end near the depot. It was
        separate and apart from the dual gauge turntable that was on the north
        end of the yard. I believe that this like many of the ones on the C&C
        it was long enough for two of the 4-4-0's inside. But I have yet to see
        a photo showing it.

        The original engine house burned in in the first few years of the line
        and was rebuilt. One of the locomotives was inside (I believe #1 --
        I'm not going into my research notes). Apparently the tender frame was
        wood and the C&C ordered a new frame of either iron or steel for the
        locomotive.

        Other engine houses were at:
        Hawthorne -- two buildings set off of a common switch and at an
        angle to each other.
        Candelaria
        Bishop station (relocated to Belleville, Nev. in about 1888) this
        location when it received a post office was named Laws about the same
        time when the building was relocated.
        Keeler -- this remained into the late 1940s

        When the SP built the facilities at Mina these included a large
        rectangular engine house with separate tracks for both narrow gauge and
        standard gauge.

        David Myrick's Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California is a good
        resource for anyone interested in the railroads of Nevada, etc.

        Brian Norden