Slim princess

  • grizzzley81
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2007
      Everybody the names Grizz.just saying Hi to everybody and how's it
      going. also to say thanks for bringing me on board. Curiosity really
      has gotten the of me. I understand that the Carson& Colorado
      Intersected with the V&T .But where on the line because I cannot find
      any remnants anywhere and I know that it ran clear on in to
      California.I've also been fortunate to have read Slim rails through
      the sand. but Still vague on where the connection was.Again Thanks for
      letting me onboard. Grizz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2007
        Hi,

        The Carson and Colorado connected with the V&T at Mound House. At the
        junction point there is nothing to be seen and hard to find. I was
        located north of Highway 50 not far east of the summit of the road. It
        was about there there is a gun shot tower.

        About 30 years ago there was still the V&T rails across highway 50; but,
        they went away when the road was later improved and widened. This
        crossing is close to where there currently is a road going south into a
        residential area. This is the reason why the rebuilding of the V&T
        makes a significant change in location in the Mound House area.

        But going east of the station site there are grade remnants still to be
        seen. Also aerial photos of the area show the different narrow gauge
        and the later standard gauge alignments. Near the road to Virginia City
        someone has placed a sign marking the old ng grade and a few years ago
        some ties could be found. The grades did not meet up until near the top
        of the canyon down to Dayton --this farther east than the maps in Myrick
        would lead you to believe.

        The SP standard gauged the line all the way down to Tonopah Junction
        south of Mina, Nevada, during the Tonopah boom. And rails are still on
        the grade from hear Churchill all the way down to Thorne. Thorne is
        near Hawthrone, Nevada, where the military line into the ammunition
        depot connected.

        Brian Norden