Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Any surviving cars from Tonopah RR?

  • Mark Bassett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      I think one of the T & G cars is owned by the operators of the Virginia and Truckee and it is in Virginia City near their enginehouse. Its in rough shape, but they might be willing to give it up. The expensive part would be restoration and transportation.

      Mark
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
        Thanks,

        Actually it is to protect the NSRM collection that I'm looking for
        something else which might be out there and suitable for Tonopah. We
        bought the T&G car for NSRM specifically to represent the Tonopah
        boom railroads at our site. Tonopah has been trying to raid that car
        from us for quite some time--which of course would leave us without
        that representation. (We really have plans for that car.) It might
        not seem so rude if they actually offered us something for it--to
        cover our investment, but they are just putting political pressure on
        us to give it away for nothing.

        The redundant cars we could be talked out of are the Arizona
        Eastern/Southern Pacific 70-foot wooden mail/baggage/smoker combo,
        which reportedly operated to Mina, or one of the SP box cars which
        were used for the Tonopah boom and abandoned after the 1907 panic. On
        the other hand, a replication would be a whole lot less expensive and
        probably more satisfactory all around, if there is something
        appropriate with good documentation. That's why I asked the question
        about plans for anything from the Tonopah Railroad.

        I am aware of the few Tonopah & Tidewater cars out there, and I'll
        run up to VC to check out Gray's car. I'm not wanting to send Tonopah
        off to try to raid another museum (though they may well try), so the
        fact of that car in private hands is a plus. But the T&T is about as
        relevant to Tonopah as the SP, since neither reached Tonopah. We also
        have the LV&T car, but that is earmarked for the Boulder City museum
        as it ties in so well with the birth of Las Vegas, and it didn't go
        to Tonopah either. I'm trying to help Tonopah, but my first
        obligation is to protect NSRM's assets.

        Wendell

        ______________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 10:58 AM
          Wendell,
          I think that one of the boxcars built for the TRR by J. Hammond that went to the Mina Br by way of the LTRy&TCo may still be around. Perhaps Randy Hees or one of the SPNG guys might know more.

          Greg Maxwell

          The Tonopah Mining Park is looking for a railroad car from the Tonopah
          mining boom to display at their facility. Are any of you aware of any
          car(s) from the old Tonopah Railroad which still exist?

          As an alternative, are there any plans of any of the Tonopah equipment
          which might lend themselves to replication? I'd love to see a replica
          of one of the line's 4-wheel cabooses.

          Wendell

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • vandtrr@cs.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 4:55 PM
            Hello -

            There is a detrucked four wheel caboose at the Ely, Nevada Railroad Museum. Not the Nevada Northern location, but the State Museum on Highway 50. Someone once told me that it was a T&G caboose but I can't vouch for that. The Number 12 is on one of the interior walls.

            Charlie Siebenthal
          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 9:53 PM
              Charlie,

              Thanks for the information. I have some photos of
              some of the "bobbers" at Millers. I believe that the
              #12 is shown.

              I'm on the road at a hotel in Phoenix. When I get home
              over the weekend, I'll check the photo and see if the
              number is 12.

              My sister and I just cleaned out my mother's house in
              tonopah to sell. We have a u-haul packed to return to
              TX. We also sold my wife's mother's home in Graeagle,
              CA.

              Mike Lee
              Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
              League City, TX
              --- vandtrr@... wrote:

              > Hello -
              >
              > There is a detrucked four wheel caboose at the Ely,
              > Nevada Railroad Museum.
              > Not the Nevada Northern location, but the State
              > Museum on Highway 50. Someone
              > once told me that it was a T&G caboose but I can't
              > vouch for that. The Number
              > 12 is on one of the interior walls.
              >
              > Charlie Siebenthal

              Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
            • Michael Lee
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4 10:03 PM
                Hi Wendell,

                The Northwest Shortline and Narrow Guage Gazette, has
                completed several line drawings of T and G and Tonopah
                Railroad equipment over the past 25 years.

                They are located in California and can be googled.