Any surviving cars from Tonopah RR?

  • Wendell Huffman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      The Tonopah Mining Park is looking for a railroad car from the Tonopah
      mining boom to display at their facility. Are any of you aware of any
      car(s) from the old Tonopah Railroad which still exist?

      As an alternative, are there any plans of any of the Tonopah equipment
      which might lend themselves to replication? I'd love to see a replica
      of one of the line's 4-wheel cabooses.

      Wendell
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
        Hi Wendell,

        Spoke to Shawn before he left. 2 box cars from the T
        and G are at the Fernley Museum. Photos are in the
        archive section of the Nevada Shortline group.

        Of course, there is also the passenger car at the NSRM

        Mike Lee

        --- Wendell Huffman <wendellhuffman@...>
        wrote:

        > The Tonopah Mining Park is looking for a railroad
        > car from the Tonopah
        > mining boom to display at their facility. Are any of
        > you aware of any
        > car(s) from the old Tonopah Railroad which still
        > exist?
        >
        > As an alternative, are there any plans of any of the
        > Tonopah equipment
        > which might lend themselves to replication? I'd love
        > to see a replica
        > of one of the line's 4-wheel cabooses.
        >
        > Wendell

      • Mark Bassett
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
          I think one of the T & G cars is owned by the operators of the Virginia and Truckee and it is in Virginia City near their enginehouse. Its in rough shape, but they might be willing to give it up. The expensive part would be restoration and transportation.

          Mark

          wrote:

          > The Tonopah Mining Park is looking for a railroad
          > car from the Tonopah
          > mining boom to display at their facility. Are any of
          > you aware of any
          > car(s) from the old Tonopah Railroad which still
          > exist?
          >
          > As an alternative, are there any plans of any of the
          > Tonopah equipment
          > which might lend themselves to replication? I'd love
          > to see a replica
          > of one of the line's 4-wheel cabooses.
          >
          > Wendell

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:NVnarrowgauge-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:NVnarrowgauge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Wendell Huffman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
            Thanks,

            Actually it is to protect the NSRM collection that I'm looking for
            something else which might be out there and suitable for Tonopah. We
            bought the T&G car for NSRM specifically to represent the Tonopah
            boom railroads at our site. Tonopah has been trying to raid that car
            from us for quite some time--which of course would leave us without
            that representation. (We really have plans for that car.) It might
            not seem so rude if they actually offered us something for it--to
            cover our investment, but they are just putting political pressure on
            us to give it away for nothing.

            The redundant cars we could be talked out of are the Arizona
            Eastern/Southern Pacific 70-foot wooden mail/baggage/smoker combo,
            which reportedly operated to Mina, or one of the SP box cars which
            were used for the Tonopah boom and abandoned after the 1907 panic. On
            the other hand, a replication would be a whole lot less expensive and
            probably more satisfactory all around, if there is something
            appropriate with good documentation. That's why I asked the question
            about plans for anything from the Tonopah Railroad.

            I am aware of the few Tonopah & Tidewater cars out there, and I'll
            run up to VC to check out Gray's car. I'm not wanting to send Tonopah
            off to try to raid another museum (though they may well try), so the
            fact of that car in private hands is a plus. But the T&T is about as
            relevant to Tonopah as the SP, since neither reached Tonopah. We also
            have the LV&T car, but that is earmarked for the Boulder City museum
            as it ties in so well with the birth of Las Vegas, and it didn't go
            to Tonopah either. I'm trying to help Tonopah, but my first
            obligation is to protect NSRM's assets.

            Wendell

            ______________

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
              Wendell,
              I think that one of the boxcars built for the TRR by J. Hammond that went to the Mina Br by way of the LTRy&TCo may still be around. Perhaps Randy Hees or one of the SPNG guys might know more.

              Greg Maxwell

              The Tonopah Mining Park is looking for a railroad car from the Tonopah
              mining boom to display at their facility. Are any of you aware of any
              car(s) from the old Tonopah Railroad which still exist?

              As an alternative, are there any plans of any of the Tonopah equipment
              which might lend themselves to replication? I'd love to see a replica
              of one of the line's 4-wheel cabooses.

              Wendell

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • vandtrr@cs.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
                Hello -

                There is a detrucked four wheel caboose at the Ely, Nevada Railroad Museum. Not the Nevada Northern location, but the State Museum on Highway 50. Someone once told me that it was a T&G caboose but I can't vouch for that. The Number 12 is on one of the interior walls.

                Charlie Siebenthal
              • Michael Lee
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Charlie,

                  Thanks for the information. I have some photos of
                  some of the "bobbers" at Millers. I believe that the
                  #12 is shown.

                  I'm on the road at a hotel in Phoenix. When I get home
                  over the weekend, I'll check the photo and see if the
                  number is 12.

                  My sister and I just cleaned out my mother's house in
                  tonopah to sell. We have a u-haul packed to return to
                  TX. We also sold my wife's mother's home in Graeagle,
                  CA.

                  Mike Lee
                  Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
                  League City, TX
                  --- vandtrr@... wrote:

                  > Hello -
                  >
                  > There is a detrucked four wheel caboose at the Ely,
                  > Nevada Railroad Museum.
                  > Not the Nevada Northern location, but the State
                  > Museum on Highway 50. Someone
                  > once told me that it was a T&G caboose but I can't
                  > vouch for that. The Number
                  > 12 is on one of the interior walls.
                  >
                  > Charlie Siebenthal

                  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                • Michael Lee
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
                    Hi Wendell,

                    The Northwest Shortline and Narrow Guage Gazette, has
                    completed several line drawings of T and G and Tonopah
                    Railroad equipment over the past 25 years.

                    They are located in California and can be googled.