Re: [NVnarrowgauge] new photo added

  • Dave Eggleston
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2007
      Brian:

      Thanks for posting the photo. I acquired a copy a few years back, either from UNR or NHS, I'm not at home to check.

      It's a great shot of a much-loved engine, taken in the winter probably during the 1920s-ish period. It appears the engine is getting ready to depart for Battle Mountain, sitting on the mainline at the station. There's what appears to be an empty cordwood rack behind the engine, so this could be somewhat earlier, maybe the teens, but it's definitely several years later than 1908 given the south extension to the station seen at that date has been removed. As you say, it is Clifton; the caption isn't technically incorrect in calling it Austin, that was done on lots of maps and timetables, probably because people expected to see Austin as the end of line, not Clifton. I can't comment on the stamp - Linwood Moody, by any chance?

      Dave