C&C and V&T...

  • CARL BJORK
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006

      I am a retired forest ranger who has been chasing the rock art phenomenon rabbit for 30+ years. I have received a photo of petroglyphs depicting a train in the Schurz area.  Did the C&C cross the river in the Schurz area or was there a trestle in the area? The petroglyph is very faint but the local folks tell me that it is a “train.”  All help is much appreciated…thanks for your time.

      Carl

      Carl A. Bjork

      PO Box 422

      Valley Springs CA

      95252-0422

      209.772.1480

      carlbjork@...

      Skype: carlbjork

      http://home.comcast.net/~carlbjork

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006

          Brian,

          Thanks for the information…most appreciated.  Now I am wondering if there ever was a train wreck at the Schurz crossing, perhaps caused by a washout from the Walker River flooding; or if trains were stopped at the crossing because of flooding?  If the petroglyph, if I read it correctly, shows that a train has stopped before crossing a bridge and a man is walking in the opposite direction from the bridge…to me indicating that the train had to stop because of the condition of the bridge.  This is all speculation…

          Carl

          carlbjork@comcast. net

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
            Carl,

            Have a question for you.  Is the man in the petroglyph between the bridge and the engine of the train?  Or is he at the end of the train walking way?

            About a washout of the bridge or a wreck, I don't know.  I have been going through the Hawthrone, Nevada , Walker Lake Bulletin newspaper microfilms at the Nevada State Library in Carson City when I get up there.  I have yet to go through the issues from the late 1880s.  But so far, I don't recall seeing anything about this kind of event.  But it could have been common for a crew member to check out a bridge or trestle before crossing it if there had been heavy rains.

            The railroad built through this area in 1882.  From then until the Tonopah boom it used 4-4-0 Americans.

            I need to correct what I said in the first message.  The railroad was standard gauged during the Tonopah boom.

            Brian

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006

              Brian,

              I have found out that there was a train wreck between Schurz and Hawthorne but no date.  The folks that have the info recovered a hand-brake wheel and shaft that they made into an end table.  The petroglyph is of a caboose and a person walking beside it…I missed what the rock carving depicted.  I believe there is more in the petroglyph but that can debated as of now.  If you find info about a train wreck circa 1890-1920 please let me know.

              And thank you for your help and interest…most appreciated.