Re: [NVnarrowgauge] N-C-O

  • darney@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2000
      Without looking it up, the engine renumbering went something like this--
      after 2-8-0 #4 was sold to the Tonopah R. R. the N-C-O a blank space was left in
      the roster and in 1907 a new #4 (4-6-0) was received but in 1909 when two more
      4-6-0's of the same class as this #4 a renumbering was done to place like engines
      in a numbering sequence by class. The #4 was renumbered to #8 (now at Sparks) and
      #6 was renumbered to #4 and #8 was renumbered #6. Engines #1,2,3, and 9,10,11,12
      and 14 were never renumbered.
      The I.C.C Valuation shows:-
      Box cars #202 to 208, 210 to 216, 218 to 235, 239and 284;
      Built by N-C-O Ry; 1907 to 1909 cap. 40,000 wood body and underframe.

      Box cars #288 to 293 and 295, built by N-C-ORy; 1900 and 1909

      Box cars 296 to 298 same.

      Box cars #500 to 689 bought second hand 1915 (F&CC) (48 cars)
      There is more --- I don't think any substantial renumbering took place. After 1900
      the N-C-O built all its own cars including some of the passenger cars, in its new
      Car shops in Reno.
      There were few if any new cars added to the original 15 Carter flats before 1900
      because of the constant money crunch.
      The report does not show coach #14 so I will have to check through my files ( that
      sounds so much more professional than "boxes") to see when and where the car was
      put on the ground.
      Flat cars start with #1
      Dale Darney

      bnorden wrote:

      > Well, I have looked at the reports to the Calif. RR Commission at the
      > State Archives. Also, if I recall correctly, the very thin file of
      > correspondence regarding the valuation.
      >
      > The one thing I have not gone after is if the State did do an valuation.
      > I have seen copies of the ICC valuation report. Also at CSRM are some
      > of the office copies of the reports to the ICC, Calif. and Nev. These
      > copies have some interesting notes and work sheets.
      >
      > It appears that like the locomotives, the passenger cars and freight
      > cars were renumbered. Does anyone know the year for the cars?
      > Brian
      >
      > EANDPNG@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Brian,
      > > Have you looked at the NCO material at the California State Archives. I don't
      > > think there is a complete report from 1912 but the annual reports may tell
      > > something about the coming and goings of their passenger cars. There is also
      > > a very nice set of maps for the NCO lines in Calif.
      > > Greg.

      > > Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:
      > > http://click.egroups.com/1/7075/10/_/587196/_/963974335/

      > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.
    • bnorden
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2000
        Dale,
        Regarding the freight car and passenger numbering schemes I am sure that
        there was a change. Maybe with the freight cars they just built new
        cars in the newer number scheme.

        From the records I've seen I am sure that the car that ended up as
        bag-RPO #22 began as combo #4 in 1891. In the early 1890s the various
        types of passenger cars were numbered together; then later the coaches
        were 1-7, bag-coach 10-12, bag-RPO 20-22 until the F&CC cars came. The
        F&CC cars and one other combo (probably from Sierra Valleys) retained
        their original numbers. I have done a passenger roster complete with
        source notes.

        Regarding a combo 14, I do not believe that this existed in the "modern"
        era. A person I know said that the people from Alturas said this was
        the number on a car body retrieved from Wendal (but my e-mail exchange
        with someone in that group produced the statement that he had seen no
        number on the car). Tom Armstrong, after he looked at the Alturas web
        site photos, said that he recalled seeing the number 22 on the
        particular car body. The neither the ICC valuation or the accounting
        records now at CSRM give any indication of a car 14. The evaluation of
        the available information indicates that #22 began as #4.

        Some time in the second half of 1916 the N-C-O sold two coaches to the
        White Pass. The decrease is in the reports to the regulators. The WP&YR
        diagrams for cars 234 and 236 say Nov. 1916 and their accounting summary
        says they got the cars from "Nevada-Califoria." An internal N-C-O
        correspondence in the accounting journals says they sold coaches 4 and 6
        in 1916. The best I could find in the accounting records is that they
        backed out the depreciation in November 1916. (The journal entries
        became much more explicit about retirements in December 1916!!!) Would
        the Reno papers have reported anything of the cars being shipped out?