"Eureka"

  • Wendell Huffman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2006
      Well guys, someone needs to blow the dust of this group page.

      Would any one of you please provide month of 1875 that "Eureka" was
      completed.

      Wendell.
    • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2006
        Re: [NVnarrowgauge] "Eureka" May?  JR

        From: "Wendell Huffman" <wendellhuffman@...>
        Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 23:31:48 -0000
        To: NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NVnarrowgauge] "Eureka"

        Well guys, someone needs to blow the dust of this group page.

        Would any one of you please provide month of 1875 that "Eureka" was
        completed.

        Wendell.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker

          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2006
            J. David Conrad in "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America" Vol
            2 says "7/1875." Another source to look at is the roster section of
            Myrick's "Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California Vol 2.

            Brian Norden

            Wendell Huffman wrote:

            >Well guys, someone needs to blow the dust of this group page.
            >
            >Would any one of you please provide month of 1875 that "Eureka" was
            >completed.
            >
            >Wendell.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wendell Huffman
            Message 5 of 7 , May 12, 2006
              Thanks for the quick responses. I guess the fact that no one had
              posted for months doesn't mean there aren't people checking. W.
            • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
              Message 6 of 7 , May 12, 2006
                Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: "Eureka" "W", and all,

                I think the period 1875-1900 is fascinating for western railroading.  Exploration and opportunism were rampant, and anyone who could rub two nickels together built a RR,
                often squashing someone else in the process.  How MANY times was a route surveyed that was supposed to go to Bodie.  Would the C & C have sold out to SP if they had known of Tonopah?  How 'bout working in a climate SO cold that you had to walk around at night to avoid freezing? (Bodie)  Getting off mining and further west to logging, we had a chute on the upper Klamath SO steep, logs used to shoot across the river and get stuck on the other bank, sometimes starting a fire in the chute!  There IS  V & T site, by the way;  just as quiet as this one<g>

                JR, trying to "justify" running an SW-9 to Candelaria

                From: "Wendell Huffman" <wendellhuffman@...>
                Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 03:13:31 -0000
                To: NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: "Eureka"

                Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2006
                  C&C, Bodie, the sale to SP and Tonopah.

                  Bodie was anxious for a railroad prior to the start of the C&C.  I saw an item in an issue of the Inyo Independent that was quoting the paper in Bodie:  essentially, when will the V&T get off its duff and build a line down here.  Charlie Siebenthal had an interesting presentation a few years ago in Carson City about the building of the C&C -- part of it was that the V&T investors only began looking elsewhere when the Comstock slowed down.

                  Edgar Mills, brother of D.O. Mills, was a major investor in both the C&C and the E&P.  He died about 1893 and his well set up a 10 year trust for his daughters that was administered by D.O. Mills and his son Ogden Mills.  I believe that the sale of the C&C and the foreclosure by the E&P bondholders was brought about by the Mills interests to gain what they could for their family.

                  The C&C in 1888 did a survey between Keeler and Mojave.  If that was built??  Would the Mills interests have worked the SP vs the ATSF when they sold out?  How would a connection to southern California had affected the routes taken to Tonopah?

                  Colis P. Huntington toured the C&C and is reported to have suggested that the line would become part of a route from Ogden to Southern California.  After the sale of the C&C to the SP there are reports of SP surveyors being out between Mojave and the Owns Valley.  Then during the Harriman (Union Pacific) era there may not have been much activity.  In 1915 there are reports of the line in the Owens Valley (and as far north as Queens) was going to standard gauged -- reported that culverts were widened, depot roof lines along "house tracks" cut back, and food service for the construct forces arranged for; and then nothing happened.

                  At the same time the Mina newspaper reports surveys between the Palisades of the Humboldt River and Basalt on the narrow gauge; and also a proposal for a tunnel between Basalt and Queens.  Then when the N-C-O was acquired and standard gauged once again the newspaper had a field day with speculation about creating a east-of-the-Sierras north-south link by standard gauging the line from Mina to the Owens Valley.

                  During the teens and the twenties there were various attempts to start up mining at Candalaria.  And then much later the current (or recent) operation started up.

                  So,  you can probably find a "might-have-been" story to justify your SW-9 at Candalaria.

                  Brian Norden

                  From: "Wendell Huffman" <wendellhuffman@...>
                  Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 03:13:31 -0000
                  To: NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com