Re: [NVnarrowgauge] An E&P locomotive photo

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
      Greg and Mike:

      When I first saw the photo my thoughts was that it was some place out on
      the line. I showed a print out of the view to Dave Garcia and his
      reaction was that it was at Palisade -- I protested that the hills were
      too flat and far away. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts as
      to the location.

      Yah, Alpha or Mineral makes some sense based upon the terrain. Nice
      thing about that part of Nevada is that the terrain (including clumps of
      trees) changes little over the years.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
        In a message dated 12/18/2005 2:00:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, tphmike@... writes:
        Greg,

        That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
        the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
        records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

        Mike Lee
        Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
        League City, TX
        Mike,
        My vote is for Mineral siding as the location of this photo. Numbers 5 and 6 were headed south in a work train going to repair a wash out at the Chimney Creek trestle just south of Alpha when the train was stranded by additional wash outs at Shannons and Blackburn. Number 5 was retrieved early on in the rebuilding and was used in work train service but I don't recall that the number 6 was ever used after the flood and may have been left at Mineral for some time. Also the engine in the photo is sitting on a side track and if the engine is pointing south the siding would be on the west side of the main track as it is at Mineral.

        Greg
      • Michael Lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
          Greg,

          I agree with your idea. I looked through my stuff and
          that is the only other location with those kind of
          mountains in the background.

          Mike

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
            Thank you, both of you, for the information.

            Brian